Wonderful Winter Weekend

13 Dec

Hey guys!  I can’t believe how fast this weekend went by!  Saturday, I had so many errands to do- groceries, Costco, plus cook (organic grass fed beef that needed to be cooked for tacos, and beef and barley soup), bake (spicy oatmeal raisin cookies, that didn’t come out), and go to church.  It was a busy day filled with running around nonstop.  At 6:30, when we got back from church, we were able to relax eat a bowl of homemade soup, enjoy a glass of wine, and we put on the Grinch Who Stole Christmas!  By 9:00pm we were exhausted and went to bed.

Dinner- Glass of wine and Vegetable Beef and Barley Soup.  The Husband said the soup was the best beef and barley soup he has ever had!  : )  The recipe is posted below.

Fun Costco Finds-  Peppermint Bark

and $15 Holiday Wreaths!  What a great deal, I bought two.  One for our front door and the other for above our fireplace.  They smell SO good!

The cookies looked good, but didn’t turn out

I never made it into the gym on Saturday, but made up for it on Sunday.  I did about 30 minutes of cardio followed by core work and 100 push ups.  Today, I am sore everywhere but my pecs from the push ups, go figure!  Yesterday my eats were this- Breakfast:  egg, cheese and nitrate free bacon in a tortilla topped with fresh spicy salsa, Lunch was a deli thin with organic tomato, mustard, organic lettuce and nitrate free natural turkey breast, Dinner was Nachos with grass fed beef, peppers, just a little shredded natural cheese, homemade sour cream and fresh salsa!  They were delicious and a lot healthier then any other nachos I have ever eaten.

This morning we were at the gym by 5:30am, and I ran for an hour on the treadmill.  Today was the first day in a while I was able to run a good distance with my hip not acting up.  I think listening to my body, stretching and foam rolling my hip is working.  I didn’t push my luck, so I ran at about a 9 min mile pace for one song on my IPod and then walked at about a 15 min mile for one song.  In the hour I was on the treadmill, I covered just about 5.5 miles.  Right when I got home, I foam rolled my hip for a while.  It is definitely hurting pretty bad already.  I am excited to do yoga tonight since I didn’t get to it yesterday and hopefully that will help relieve some of the pain.

Breakfast- PB toast (This is actually my toast from a few days ago, I didn’t take a pic of it this am).

Before work, I am having my flaxseed and chia seed cranberry water mixture to help keep me full for a while at work.

Vegetable Beef and Barley Soup

This is such a wonderful soup.  If you don’t eat meat, you can substitute the beef broth and bullions for vegetables and skip adding the meat.

Ingredients

• 2-3lbs Organic Chuck Beef
  • 1 Box Low Sodium Beef Broth
  • 4 carrots thinly sliced
  • 4-6 stalks of celery chopped
  • 1 medium onion sliced
  • Sea Salt and Black Pepper to taste
  • 2 Cans Chopped tomatoes with juice
  • 1 cup of barley (I used 2 cups)
  • 3 soup cans (from tomatoes) of water
  • 4 beef bullions

Directions:  Add all ingredients to a crock pot on high.  Let sit until the beef is cooked through (3-4 hours).  Remove meat and cut away all fat and throw away.  With the remaining meat, cut into little pieces and add back into the crock pot.  Add the barley and let cook for another 1 hour on high or another 2 hours on low, or until the barley is cooked.  If the broth level has gone down, you can add more water or more low sodium beef broth.  Serve and enjoy!

SAM_2739 SAM_2741 SAM_2740 SAM_2752

It was the perfect think and hearty soup for the weekend!

Morning Meditation

Motivation for the Day:  Get the house cleaned and ready to watch the Vikings game!

Three Things I am Thankful for Today:  1-  Wedding pics are done!  Yay!  2.  70 and Sunny out!  3-  Getting to visit Quincy this upcoming Saturday!

Goal for the Day:  Be as healthy as I can be!  Lots of vegetables and water!

Motivational Quote of the Day:  Vegetables are a must on a diet.  I suggest carrot cake, zucchini bread, and pumpkin pie.  ~Jim Davis  : )

Question:  What errands do you love doing?  I love grocery shopping and going to Costco as long as both aren’t busy when I’m there!

About these ads

17 Responses to “Wonderful Winter Weekend”

1. Hollie @ Lolzthatswim(andRun) December 13, 2010 at 10:36 am #

Peanut Butter toast nom nom nom nom. So good!

What kind of cookies are those? They look good anyways. I love your motivational quote about the veggies. I have been seriously lacking in my intake.

• Kjirsten December 13, 2010 at 11:34 am #

The cookies are spicy oatmeal raisin. They are just okay.

2. Shanna, like Banana December 13, 2010 at 10:55 am #

Love going to Target although I end up with tons of stuff I hadn’t planned ;)

Soup is so perfect for cold weather..yum!

• Kjirsten December 13, 2010 at 11:34 am #

Target is one of my weaknesses too. I always buy way too much and so much stuff I don’t need!

3. Jess December 13, 2010 at 12:49 pm #

I love grocery shopping, too- as long as the roads are not too slippery on the way there!

• Kjirsten December 13, 2010 at 4:29 pm #

Slippery roads are never fun!

4. cbrady3 December 13, 2010 at 3:22 pm #

I am SO IMPRESSED that you can do 100 pushups! I die after 10 half ones!

And I love grocery shopping too. I have to stop myself from going too much!

• Kjirsten December 13, 2010 at 4:30 pm #

I try not to go to the store more then a few times a week because I always end up buying stuff we don’t need and will end up wasting! I did take a few breaks during the 100 push-ups! : )

5. Kat December 13, 2010 at 3:40 pm #

Mmmm love the soup recipe! I love putting barely into my soups. I trick my hubby with it all the time. For some reason he thinks its rice, which is fine by me as long as he eats it!!

• Kjirsten December 13, 2010 at 4:31 pm #

My husband was craving barley too, so it worked out good for both of us!

6. cardiopizza December 13, 2010 at 4:39 pm #

I love making soup in the crock pot! It’s so easy yet comes out so delicious :)

I love shopping for clothes!

• Kjirsten December 14, 2010 at 6:57 am #

I totally agree, I love how easy it is!

7. Nicole December 14, 2010 at 5:07 am #

OOoo! I have to try that recipe! I am on a huge soup kick right now and all that barley looks delicious! Nice job on the workouts…I slacked last night and I have big plans to kick my own butt tonight!

I love grocery shopping, too. Other than that, I pretty much hate errands :)

• Kjirsten December 14, 2010 at 6:56 am #

I promise it is worth trying! We are on a huge barley kick too, I don’t know what it is, but it taste so hearty in the cold winter months!

8. CaSaundra December 14, 2010 at 7:30 am #

Can’t beat warm and hearty soup for the winter months! I will have to add this recipe to my soups to try :-) Btw, I have a contest going on over at my blog if you want to send in a picture of your Christmas decorating–lots of goodies up for grabs!

9. kbwood December 14, 2010 at 9:35 am #

Mmmm great soup recipe!! thats ALL i want these days- its so comforting and delish!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. New Quincy Pictures and Dinner « Balanced Healthy Life - December 16, 2010

[...] was yet again quick and easy.  We had leftover Beef and Barley Soup, so good and had a large spring mix and spinach salad with gorgonzola, chopped red bell peppers, [...]