Wedding Reception: Mexican Fiesta

5 Apr

I highly recommend having a Mexican fiesta as your wedding reception.  It rocks.  When Keith and I got engaged, we knew we didn’t want to have the traditional wedding reception with chicken or steak.  We wanted something different that would set our wedding apart from others and leave people with memorable memories of our special day.  Enter Mexican Fiesta.  Keith originally said it as sort of a joke, but once he said it, we both knew that was exactly what we were going to do.  Mexican food is after all, our favorite and our favorite vacation spot has been Puerto Vallarta for many years.  Makes perfect sense.

Catering was done by D’Amico and Sons.  We worked with Jason Hoesing Brown, the BEST planner ever!  He brought all our visions to life!  Thanks Jason!

0476

Here is our menu from our day, just incase you decide to throw a Mexican Fiesta Wedding Reception.  The Chef at Masa created it for us.  He did such a fabulous job and gave us a very cohesive menu.  If you are ever in Minneapolis, you need to go Downtown and visit this restaurant.  It is simply amazing!

Butler Passes Hors D’ Oeuvres (I didn’t try any of these but heard it was all fabulous)

• Empanada with Shredded Pork, Serrano Chilies and Cilantro
  • Grilled Manchego Queso with Smoked Tomato Salsa

0475

• Quesadilla with Chorizo Sausage, Green Onion and Lime Crème Fraiche
  • Margarita and Mojito Shooter

0474

Dinner Buffet

• Romaine Salad with Avocado, Tomatoes, Manchego Cheese and Tequila Lime Dressing
  • Tropical Fruit and Berry Platter with Candied Nuts
  • Tri Color Chips with Salsa, Guacamole and Queso
  • Seafood Enchiladas with Crab and Shrimp in a Red Sauce
  • Black Beans, Pinto Bean and Spanish Rice
  • Jalapeño Cornbread
  • Build You Own Fajitas and Tacos with Sautéed Beef, Tequila-Lime Seasoned Grilled Chicken Strips, Hard and Soft Corn and Flour Tortillas, Red, Yellow and Green Pepper Stripes, Sautéed Onions, Shredded Lettuce, Fresh Cilantro, Chopped Tomatoes, Chopped Onions, Chopped Black Olives, Shredded Cheese, Sliced Jalapeños, Sour Cream, Salsa and Guacamole

0542

0543

0544

I’m clearly not shy about the food I eat!

0545

Others

• Open Bar with Premium Liquor, Wines and Beers

0473

0472

Lots of wine glasses were needed

0471

• Wedding Cake- Chocolate Mousse with a Butter cream Frosting

This was our actual cake with real lime green orchids.  Guests were served sheet cake.  This was the BEST wedding cake ever, and I typically don’t even like cake!

0525

0527

• Coffee and Tea

I’ve never seen people eat so much at a wedding before.  There were a lot of people going back for seconds and thirds, it was THAT good!  Like I’ve said before, my one wedding regret was not eating more of that delicious Mexican food!

Below you will find some of my favorite pictures from the reception at the Mill City Museum.  Like always our photos were taken by Bryan from Studio Blue Photography ( http://studiobluemn.com )

0454

0467

0464

0470

0479

0487

0505

0508

0521

0530

We used limes and lemons as vase fillers!

0532

That is all for our reception.  I have a few more wedding posts still to do before I am done-  Dance, Family and Bachelorette Party!  : )

No onto the eats of yesterday- Monday

• Breakfast-  Peanut Butter Toast on Low Sodium Ezekiel Bread, 1/2 Banana and  1/2 Cup of Coffee

• AM Snack-  HUGE Organic Ambrosia Apple with a Handful of Raw Almonds

• Lunch-  Blueberry Chobani and Chocolate Protein Shake Mixed with Water
    • PM Snack-  Flaxseed, Chia Seed and Cinnamon Mixed with Pure Cranberry Juice and Water
    • Dinner-  Grilled Chicken Breast Salad with Tomato, Red Bell Pepper, Spring Mix, Red Onion, Walnuts and Gorgonzola Cheese.  I used Annie’s Organic Balsamic

Question:  What is your favorite Mexican food?   Mine would have to be fajitas!  YUM!

About these ads

21 Responses to “Wedding Reception: Mexican Fiesta”

1. Shanna, like Banana April 5, 2011 at 11:20 am #

Oh how I WISH I was a guest at your wedding. I would have taken that Mexi buffet to school! Fabulous and unique idea that turned out so well. Yum!

2. Tara April 5, 2011 at 11:33 am #

HOW BEAUTIFUL (you and the decor)! I know a wedding is in my semi-near future so I’ve started paying attention to things like this. I LOVE your cake… that is awesome.

• Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life April 5, 2011 at 11:41 am #

Wedding planning is so much fun, you will love it! I loved the cake as well. I had found a picture in a wedding magazine with a cake that resembled our cake and new I wanted to do something similar! I loved the bright colors of it!

3. LegallyBalanced April 5, 2011 at 11:46 am #

Your wedding spread look delicious! Such a fun idea. I LOVE your dress by the way…simply gorgeous!

4. Jenny April 5, 2011 at 12:15 pm #

Everything looks so gorgeous. Omg I love the Mexican fiesta idea! It’s so unique and personal, plus who doesn’t love Mexican? I would love to do something like that. Most weddings go very traditional on the food.

5. kelly @ D2BD and Cocktails & Cardio April 5, 2011 at 2:34 pm #

What a fabulous idea for a reception. I adore Mexican food and would have been in hog heaven at your reception! The boyfriend and I have discussed ideas for a rehearsal dinner [we aren't engaged yet] and always say we want a backyard BBQ feel for that. I think Mexican might be the ticket instead but we shall see!

My favorite hands down is fajitas and sometimes chicken burritos [without running cheese, I'd rather have the fresh shredded on top, not melted]. And the more cilantro the merrier in my book!

6. Jenny April 5, 2011 at 4:46 pm #

Such an awesome idea for your reception!! So fun!! Now I want all of that food!!!

7. Hollie @ Lolzthatswim(andRun) April 5, 2011 at 4:46 pm #

Wow that is seriously beautiful and that cake looks amazing. I can see why everyone ate it-it looks so fabulous.

8. marissa April 6, 2011 at 5:53 am #

you look gorgeous and those pictures are SO great! I love the cake and those centerpieces…so pretty :)

9. Running Girl April 6, 2011 at 10:45 am #

I love the idea of a Mexican buffet. Yum! My favorites are fajitas & tacos.

10. Sophia Lee April 6, 2011 at 4:45 pm #

Wow, that sounds fun for everyone!! I’m not a wedding fan, I find it boring…but a Mexican fiesta would have spiced things up! I don’t ever plan to get married, but I’m going to push this idea hard to my younger brother when he gets married one day…

11. CaSaundra April 10, 2011 at 6:11 am #

Oh wow–what a FUN idea!! When I get married, I am definitely going to consider this–thanks for sharing!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. First Wedding Anniversary « Balanced Healthy Life - August 26, 2011

[...] You can see more wedding pictures here, view our first look pictures here, our wedding party pictures here, our ceremony pictures here and our Mexican Fiesta themed reception here.  [...]