Workout of the Week- Arms

13 Sep

Good morning!

I want to start my post off saying thanks for bearing with me yesterday as my mood went from elated to deflated.  I’m in a much much better mood today.  Life gave me lemons and I chose to squash those lemons instead of making lemonade with them (which I would normally always do).  Although my ordeal wasn’t that big of a deal, I was really bummed out by it and just needed to let myself feel the emotions that I was feeling and vent a little.  We all know venting does make us feel a tiny bit better!  I’m not usually a bitter glass half empty type of person so it feels good to be back to my old happy self again today!  : )

On the agenda for today is work, work and more work.  I did hit the gym this morning and plan on doing at least 30 minutes of yoga after work today to keep myself busy and limber!

Workout of the Week- Arms

The above pic is the only pic I have of me working out!  I need to take some more for the workout of the week posts, but until I actually remember to take more, you will have to suffer with this pic week after week!  : )

We all want to have nicely toned arms we can  show off in tank tops or at least feel confident wearing a tank top, right?  By incorporating strength into your gym routine, you can have toned arms in just over a month.  Before I got married I spent a lot of time strength training my arms.  I wanted them to look really fit and toned in my wedding gown.  I’m not a fan of huge muscles (think body builders), and wanted a lean muscle look.  I did a variation of the following exercises to get the look I wanted.  This workout is perfect if you are looking to tone up the entire arm and you can do this routine anywhere from 1-3 times a week.

0464

Here is my plan to attack the arm muscles and leave you with a sculpted  appearance!

Jamie Eason has very toned arms and I bet she works hard for them!

Jamie Eason

Circuit #1- Triceps

• Triceps Pull Down on Cables
  • Triceps Over Head Pull on Cables
  • Dips
  • Kickbacks or French Press

Circuit #2- Biceps

• Bicep Curls
  • Hammer Curls
  • Concentrated Bicep Curls

Circuit #3- Shoulders

• Shoulder Press
  • Lateral and Frontal Raise Move
  • Rear Delt

Repeat each exercise three times making sure to take your time during each movement.  Also, pick a weight when your exhausted after the last rep and try and stick with right around 10 reps for each exercise.  You can do each exercise three times before moving onto another exercise, or go through each circuit 3 times before moving on to the next muscle group.  You can also do these exercises from home if you swap the cable moves for band moves over a door.

*Remember to always check with a doctor before starting a new exercise program or trying something new and use light weights until you are comfortable with the exercises.*

Questions:

• What is your favorite part of the arm to work?
  • How do you maintain toned arms?
  • What’s on your agenda for today?

About these ads

16 Responses to “Workout of the Week- Arms”

1. Heather September 13, 2011 at 7:40 am #

Bummer about having to wait till Thursday but don’t for a second feel bad about…feelin bad! All those hormones going through your body, it’s only natural!! I LOVE the workout of the week! I’ve been doing them every time you post them. My delts ate my favorite part to work because if they are toned, everything else looks toned!! Hope youre feeling good!!

2. Kerryne September 13, 2011 at 7:53 am #

Great circuit. I will have to give that one a try my next upper body day! I am amazed at the energy you have :) I actually worked out with my first until I was about 7 or 8 months and than it got uncomfortable, the weight literally FELL off the second he was born, but with my second I didn’t work out as much as I should have and it took a little longer to get my bod back!

3. Shayla @ The Good Life September 13, 2011 at 11:19 am #

Love that circuit, and love that wedding photo…your dress is gorgeous!

I really like to work my shoulders…my upper body is so narrow and it’s so hard for me to put on muscle in my arms so I really like to tone my shoulders to give more balance to my body. And I find that I have to up my protein intake quite a bit to keep that muscle tone on my arms. I love upright rows, shoulder presses, and lateral raises!

Just good ole work on the agenda for me today…and hubby is cooking dinner tonight which I’m excited for, since he’s the chef in the house ;)

• Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life September 13, 2011 at 1:44 pm #

Having nice strong toned shoulders does help balanced a more narrow upper body!
      You’re lucky your hubby is cooking you dinner tonight! I love when that happens!

4. Tiff September 13, 2011 at 12:18 pm #

I do arm workouts verrrry regularly. I think I enjoy working my triceps the most, but I like the look of my shoulders. Gotta’ love a little muscle tone!

5. Nicole, RD September 13, 2011 at 12:30 pm #

I am so bad about lifting. My favorite to work is the bicep, but I need to work on my triceps…badly! WINGS are not good! ;)

6. marissa September 13, 2011 at 1:15 pm #

don’t you feel bad…hormones make us crazy!!!

I have NOT-SO-TONED arms that need mucho work, but this post may have motivated me to get to work on ‘em ASAP!!!

• Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life September 13, 2011 at 1:40 pm #

Thanks!

Work the arms! I hate working my biceps, even though they used to be my fav muscle to work, but just force myself to lift them heavy once a week. I will admit if I skimp on a muscle group during the week, it’s always my biceps!

7. Amy September 13, 2011 at 1:31 pm #

Work was on my agenda today.
    I love to work shoulders. I have a tiny upper body so I’m trying to balance it all out, currently I’m only stregth training 3 times a week which drives me crazy. I like 4 days best.
    With only 3 days I’m only able to hit lower body once and then I do mostly all compound movements for my upper body to get the most bang for my buck in those other 2 days.

• Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life September 13, 2011 at 1:38 pm #

Compound movements are so awesome! I make a lot of my clients do them very often! I love the burn they produce and they also get you nice results!!!

8. Jamie @ Food in Real Life September 13, 2011 at 3:47 pm #

Jamie Eason DOES have the best arms! I worked my arms today during my pregnancy workout video. It has a killer series of shoulder/triceps exercises that I’m hoping to master. My triceps are so weak! I enjoy working biceps. I think I’ll tack on your bicep circuit on the days I do that video to round it out!

• Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life September 13, 2011 at 6:57 pm #

That sounds like a great plan! What pregnancy workout video are you doing? I can’t wait until we have babies to tone our arms for us for all the lifting and holding we will be doing! : )