Good morning! I hope you all had a fabulous Monday and a great start to your week!
Yesterday was an unconventional work day. I worked from home for most of the day and snuck in some pumpkin bread baking somehow! :)
Health-ified Pumpkin Bread
- Servings 24
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 Minutes
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs
- 2 chia seed eggs (2 tbsp ground chia seeds + 6 tbsp water mix together and let sit for 5 minutes)
- 1 cup applesauce
- 2/3 cups water
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon (heaping)
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg (heaping)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
- 1 small ripened banana (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour three 7×3 inch loaf pans. (I forgot to flour my pans but it came out fine, plus I only used two bread pans).
2. In a large bowl, mix together pumpkin puree, eggs, chia eggs, oil, water, ripened banana and sugar until well blended (I did this in my mixer). In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger and flaxseeds. Stir the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture until just blended. Pour into the prepared pans.
3. Bake for about 50 minutes in the preheated oven. Loaves are done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
This recipe is truly a great one and I recommend everyone should try it out. To make it completely a vegan recipe, swap out the two regular eggs for 4 chia seed eggs.
I decided to add in the small ripened banana because I had nothing else to do with it and also wanted to make sure this bread came out moist enough since I swapped out all the oil and replaced it with apple sauce. If bananas are not your thing, just skip this step. You can also add in dried fruit such as dried cranberries, walnuts or a splash of vanilla to make this bread even more amazing! You can also swap out the white flour for whole wheat flour (or partial) to give it even more health bang for the buck! I will most definitely try that next time. I’m just amazed at how great and moist this bread is.
On one loaf I added a sprinkle of brown sugar and walnuts after reading another review and deciding to give this a try. I didn’t add them until 1/2 way through the cooking time, but it came out great! Also, I only had two larger size bread pans that I used. I had to bake the bread for 80 minutes instead of the 50 suggested for the smaller loaves.
Onto the Eats of the day from Monday:
- Breakfast- Egg and cheese English muffin sandwich
- AM Snack- Greek yogurt with honey and almonds
- Lunch- Chicken noodle soup (leftover from last week) + samples of pumpkin bread! :)
- PM Snack- Popcorn
- Dinner- Spinach and cheese stuffed chicken breast over pasta with salad
I’ll post the stuffed chicken breast recipe on Thursday. It is a keeper!
The workout of the day from yesterday, was a rest day! We usually like taking Monday and Friday’s as our rest days. I was debating doing yoga, but the day just got away from me. We did take the dog on a walk in the beautiful weather so I did get in some low intensity activity.
One other exciting thing that happened yesterday was our stroller came! Yay!
We haven’t figured out how to get the car seat or toddler seat to click into the stroller base yet, but we plan on working on it today or I might need to return it for a new one! I’m hoping the product is fine and it’s just us that can’t figure it out! I think it is a good looking stroller and I can’t wait to push Baby Cameryn around in it! :)
- Do you like pumpkin bread?
- What is your favorite type of “treat” bread?
- What fall recipes have you made this year?
- Any new recipes you are loving right now?
Please feel free to post links so we can all enjoy new/fall recipes!