This past Wednesday was my 29th birthday. My husband was kind enough to get me the Vitamix 5200. I’ve been wanting for a while now, but just couldn’t justify spending so much money on a blender. Immediately when I got my Vitamix, I started playing around with it and making lots of things. Here is what I’ve made so far:
- Spinach Ice Cream <—OMG, so amazing
- Orange Julius
- Pomegranate Ice Cream
- Endless Smoothies made with some of the following (bananas, oranges, pink lady apples, blueberries, frozen fruit mix (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, pomegranate and dark cherries I found at Costco and it is all organic, I need to stock up on the mix incase they don’t restock it! I love finding frozen organic fruit for cheap) and lots of spinach.
I’m really looking forward to making hummus and nut butter in it next.
My favorite recipe so far has been the following:
Spinach Blueberry Rainbow Smoothie
- 2 cups almond milk (I used original flavor)
- 2 scoops vanilla protein powder
- 2 bananas
- 2 oranges, peeled
- 1 pink lady apple, cored
- 1 cup blueberries
- 2 heaping handfuls of spinach
- 1 cup ice cubes
Put the ingredients into a blender in the order listed. Blend until smooth. Serve and enjoy!
*You can also add in flaxseeds, chia seeds, and sub frozen fruit for any of the fruit listed. One of my favorite smoothie combinations is blueberry banana so this was right up my alley and is my favorite smoothie I’ve made yet. You are also getting in a rainbow of produce colors (yellow, orange, red, blue and green), meaning you are getting in many different nutrients and vitamins that the body needs. Yay! I know I’ll be making many many more of this smoothie.
So far, I love the Vitamix and can’t believe I waited so long to get one. I have lots of plans for it and can’t wait to make many more recipes. I love how easily it blends things together. It is awesome and I recommend everyone should have one in their kitchen.
Other eats of the week have been,
Homemade chicken chow mein with brown rice
Salads with homemade salad dressing
And a slice of carrot cake for my birthday
I’ve now given up sweets for Lent so the carrot cake was my last sugary treat until Easter in April.
- If you have a Vitamix, what is your favorite thing to make in it?
- What is your favorite fruit to have in your smoothie?
- If you acknowledge Lent, what are you giving up if anything?