My Top Healthy Snack Options

10 Mar

I am a snack eater by nature.  I’m guessing it comes from my love of food.  I like to keep my snacks both healthy and filling and wanted to share with you my go to snacks.

So, here are my top  go-to snacks:

1.  Apples (with almond butter if I need some protein and a heartier snack)

2.  Cinnamon raisin Ezekiel English muffin with a small dab of Earth Balance and a good sprinkle of cinnamon

3.  Ezekiel pitas (broiled with a little EVOO, black pepper & crushed red pepper) and hummus

4.  Whey protein shake mixed with water

5.  Smoothie made with bananas, almond milk and berries or bananas, cocoa powder and almond milk (vanilla protein powder in both, add in spinach for even more nutritional vale for very few calories.)

IMG_1272

6.  Nuts- almonds, pistachios and walnuts are my favorites

7.  Popcorn (low in calories so you can snack on a big portion), sprinkle with nutritional yeast to get a cheesy flavor and some B vitamins!

8.  Veggies and hummus (my favorites are bell peppers)

9.  Greek yogurt with a little honey and chia seeds (add in almond butter/peanut butter to create a meal or heavier snack) <—one of my pregnancy go-to lunches

IMG_0122

10.  Flaxseed and chia seeds drink.  This fills me up quickly with all the fiber.  Add in cinnamon for even more health benefits!

11.  Bars (I like Larabars, Clif Mojo, Clif Monster and Luna the best, and always switch up which I’m eating to keep them fun).  Since having Cameryn I always keep these in my purse and usually eat one in the morning.  It is a quick way to get in some calories fast and there is no prep work.

12.  1/2 plain Ezekiel English muffin with peanut butter/almond butter and sometimes with a little jelly

2011-11-15 08.00.57

So there you have it, my top go-to healthy snacks.

Question:  What are your favorite go to healthy snacks?

About these ads

14 Responses to “My Top Healthy Snack Options”

1. HollieisFueledByLOLZ March 11, 2012 at 7:25 am #

I’ve been really getting into hummus lately. My favorite healthy snack though is by far a piece of fruit or a snickers marathon bar (they aren’t 100% good but for 150 cals-they have 11 grams protein, 7 fiber and 60% calcium…all things I need right now…mostly the calcium).

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life March 13, 2012 at 4:16 pm #

Have you made your own hummus before? I have been wanting too but am waiting for us to eat up all the hummus in our house before I attempt to make some.

2. marissa March 11, 2012 at 9:08 pm #

mmm, i love hummus too! those go-to snacks sound great and I might have to try that greek yogurt w/ honey and chia seeds…that sounds yummy and filling too! thanks for sharing…

3. Lisa@Healthy Diaries.com March 12, 2012 at 11:47 am #

Yum these are all great snacks! My favorite snack is an apple with almond butter or a banana with peanut butter!

4. Jen@FoodFamilyFitness March 12, 2012 at 2:16 pm #

Great ideas!!!! Thanks :)

5. k March 12, 2012 at 7:05 pm #

My go-to lately has been brown rice cakes with almond butter, sea salt and a big medjool date squished over top. I have to say that I’m also a huge fan of green smoothies and popcorn cooked in coconut oil with coarse salt. YUM!

6. Katie Bearden March 13, 2012 at 5:47 am #

Kjirsten_ What is your favorite peanut butter and hummus? Also do you have any other quick lunch ideas? I am a new mom as well!

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life March 13, 2012 at 4:10 pm #

My favorite peanut butter is Costco’s Kirkland brand. It used to be organic but they changed it, it is still super creamy and uses only peanuts for ingredients and non of that other junk. As for hummus, I love the brand Lilly’s and my favorite flavor is there Roasted Red Pepper hummus. It is so good and has almost a smokey flavor to it. I find it at our local organic grocery.

Quick lunch ideas I have are wraps. I’ve been loving Ezekiel wraps and putting turkey and vegetables on them. Topped off with some mustard and you have a healthy and quick to make lunch. Also smoothies are one of my favorite go to lunches at the moment too. I blend one frozen banana, one cup almond milk, 1 tbsp PB2 with Dark Chocolate, 8 ice cubes and one scoop vanilla protein powder to make a smoothie bowl. It is so delicious and I find it keeps my full for a while. Another quick lunch I like to eat is left over salad. If I’m making a green salad, I’ll make a little extra for the next day. That way all I need to do is add in some protien (like leftover chicken) and dressing and it is ready to go.

I hope these help. Let me know if you have any other questions!

7. Beth March 19, 2012 at 2:50 pm #

So happy to see apples top your list! I can’t wait to try some of the great ideas you’ve listed using Ezekiel bread/wraps.