Shrimp and Cabbage Salad

5 Apr

Over the weekend, Keith picked up some shrimp wraps at Costco.  I didn’t want to eat the wrap so I just put the insides into a bowl.  What I ate was mainly shrimp and cabbage, but it tasted so good, it inspired me to create a salad recipe using these two main ingredients. I also found a recipe for cilantro lime salad dressing to try and replicate the dressing that came with the wraps.

So, last night for dinner we made shrimp and cabbage salads and they were a huge  hit.  Both Keith and I couldn’t stop raving about how amazing they tasted, how light and refreshing they were and how all the flavors blended together so nicely.  We are already planning on having them again tomorrow night for dinner, that’s how much we loved them.

Not only did they taste amazing, but they were low in calories and carbs and high in protein!  My perfect dinner!

Shrimp and Cabbage Salad

IMG_6994

Serves: 2 (note:  the dressing makes more than just two servings.  It would make a great marinade or you can use it more salad)

Cilantro Lime Salad Dressing Ingredients

(adapted from All Recipes, click  here)

• 4 pickled jalapenos
  • 1 tablespoon garlic (use less if you aren’t a huge fan of garlic)
  • 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
  • 1/4 cup packed cilantro leaves (or more if you love cilantro like me.  I almost doubled this amount)
  • 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

Salad Ingredients

• 1/2 head of red cabbage
  • 1/2 head of green cabbage
  • 16-20 cooked shrimp,cold and cut into bite size pieces (I like squeezing just a bit of fresh lemon juice over these)
  • 1 large tomato, diced
  • 1 avocado, diced
  • 1 small cucumber, sliced and quartered (we didn’t use one, but will next time, we think the crunch will add nice texture to the salad)

Directions

Dressing- I made this in the morning so all the flavors had time to combine together.

1. In a blender or food processor, add the jalapenos, garlic, honey, lime juice, balsamic vinegar and salt .  Pulse for about 10 seconds.
  2. Add in the cilantro leaves and pulse until the cilantro is well blended.
  3. Slowly add in the olive oil and pulse.

Salad

1. Wash and finely shred the cabbage (I do this in the vitamix.  Put cut cabbage in and fill with water.  Blend for one second.  Drain the water and let the cabbage completely dry before using.  I  prepped my cabbage in the morning as well so it had time to dry before dinner).
  2. Place the cabbage on a plate, top with shrimp, tomatoes, avocado and the optional cucumbers.
  3. Top with the cilantro lime salad dressing and enjoy!

This salad is seriously so good.  A must try, plus it is so healthy!

IMG_6832IMG_6833IMG_6834IMG_6990IMG_6987IMG_6988IMG_6991IMG_6997

If you try this, you wont be left disappointed!

About these ads

10 Responses to “Shrimp and Cabbage Salad”

1. HollieisFueledByLOLZ April 5, 2012 at 5:32 pm #

Wow that looks really good! I was actually just wondering how you were doing yesterday-glad to know well! :)

2. sweetlyvegan April 6, 2012 at 11:43 am #

yum!!! I love shrimp and avocado salad!! One of my faves!! I will definitely be making this recipe :) Going grocery shopping in a little bit!

3. kristin April 6, 2012 at 12:00 pm #

Hi I love your blog! First time commenting. I have a 4 week old little one and I love your tips about being healthy after baby. I have a question re: nursing and this salad- does the cabbage bother camryn’s tummy?? I had a salad w cabbage the other day and my daughter was randomly crabby the next day. Idk if it was a fluke or if it was the cabbage! Hmm just wondering your experience.

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life April 6, 2012 at 7:50 pm #

I haven’t noticed anything different with Cameryn after I eat cabbage. We just had that salad again tonight for dinner, so I’ll pay extra close attention to her moods tomorrow.

So far, the only thing that has bothered her has been whey protein. Once I switched to a rice protein,she seemed a lot better.

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life April 6, 2012 at 7:51 pm #

Oh, and I almost forgot, a big congratulations on your new addition!!! :)

4. Meagan April 16, 2012 at 3:20 pm #

I found your blog awhile back and followed you throughout your pregnancy because I was pregnant too. I am big into working out and eating healthy as well so it has been great seeing your workouts and recipes. My daughter is Emerson Olivia and when I was looking at your Easter pictures I noticed our daughters wore the same “My First Easter” Dress! Great middle name taste and outfit taste :)! Thanks for the blog!

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life April 16, 2012 at 4:03 pm #

Hi Meagan! I want to thank you for following along on my blog! Congrats on your baby girl!

I love your daughter’s name, Emerson Olivia! It is so beautiful! :)

Great minds think alike, the middle name and Easter dress! Wasn’t that dress so cute! I don’t want to pack it up, I wish Cameryn could still wear it next Easter again!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Weekend Recap and a Change in my Workout Routine « - April 9, 2012

[...] Friday, we stayed in and made shrimp and cabbage salad.  Since it was the last Friday of Lent, we opted for [...]