Last night for dinner, Keith and I had the best spaghetti squash ever! I found the recipe on my friend Jennifer’s blog, Sweetly Vegan and it is a winner! Not only was it decadent, it tasted like Keith and I were indulging in mounds of great pasta, only without the calories and guilt! I changed the recipe only slightly from the original. I can’t wait to make it again!
Spaghetti squash has only 42 calories and 2 grams of fiber per cup, so eat up! It is also an excellent source of Niacin, Vitamin B6, Pantothenic Acid, Potassium and Manganese, and a very good source of Vitamin C (nutritiondata.com)
Garlic and Onion Spaghetti Squash with Creamy Avocado Sauce
(adapted from Sweetly Vegan)
- 1 large or 2 small spaghetti squash
- 2-3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow or white onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. minced garlic (less if you aren’t a huge fan like I am)
- Freshly cracked black pepper
Avocado Cream Sauce
- 1 avocado, pitted
- 3/4 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking pan with foil (optional) and use a little olive oil to grease.
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half, length wise, and scoop out the inner guts (seeds and strings) and discard. Place the clean squash halves on the baking pan.
- Brush the olive oil on the the two halves, making sure to get around the rims as well. Place the garlic and onion inside the squash and evenly spread around. Sprinkle with a good amount of black pepper.
- Bake for 60 minutes, or until the spaghetti squash strings with a fork. If it is still hard and doesn’t string, bake an additional 5 minutes and check again.
- Let cool for 20-25 minutes. Once cooled, use a fork to string the squash, making sure to drag the fork on each side to get the most spaghetti squash you can.
- While letting the squash cool, you’ll want to prep your avocado sauce. In a blender or food processor. Place the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, avocado, sat and basil. Mix until smooth and creamy.
- Serve over spaghetti squash noodles and garnish with fresh black pepper and lemon zest (optional)
Enjoy! I know you’ll love this recipe as much as I do!
Question: What is your favorite way to eat spaghetti squash?