Meatless Monday

26 Oct

Good morning!  I hope everyone had a great night of sleep!  Yesterday I didn’t post as much as usual due to a horrible headache.  Yesterday afternoon, I started getting a migraine so I went to bed at 7:30pm with ice packs on my head.  I didn’t get around to doing yoga, but was up first thing this morning and at the gym doing cardio!  : )  I feel much better today.  I have suffered having migraines for as long as I can remember.  In college they started becoming more frequent and that is when I decided to change my eating, sleeping and drinking habits.  Now, for the most part, I have my headaches under control and very rarely get a migraine.

Do you ever get migraines?  What do you do to control them?  Do you have any tips on getting rid of them once you feel one coming on?

Meatless Monday

Yesterday was my second Meatless Monday not by trying and I finally decided that every Monday going forward will be Meatless Monday.  I think it is important not only for the environment, but also my health and body.  Going meat free means eating more plant based foods and trying out new vegetarian recipes I wouldn’t otherwise try.

Does anyone else want to make the pledge with me and go meatless on Mondays?

Monday’s Lunch / Dinner (we ate this in the early afternoon)

Mediterranean Pizza- Spinach, Feta, Tomato Sauce, Olives, Green and Yellow Bell Peppers, Onion (If I knew I was going to get a bad headache I would have stayed away from this because of its sodium)

This morning (Tuesday) for breakfast I had a hot cup of lemon water, 1 cup of black coffee and 1 slice of Low Sodium Ezekiel bread with PB

Before I leave for work I’ll be having flax/chia seed mixture.

This morning at the gym I was feeling pretty tired and ended up walking at an incline of 12% on the treadmill at speed 4.0-4.6 for 60 minutes.  I didn’t wear my heart rate monitor so I don’t know my exact stats, but the machine said I walked 4.2 miles and burned 568 calories.  I usually burn more calories walking at an incline then I do running.  When I walk on an incline, a little trick I like to do is squeeze my glutes with every step.  This makes my glutes so sore!  I like to call it “walking with intention”.  Today I need to squeeze in 15 minutes on the elliptical, abs and I would love to somehow find the time to fit in yoga since I didn’t get to it yesterday.  I mentioned that I was going to get my neck and hip worked on yesterday.  The therapist had to reschedule me for tomorrow, and I am so looking forward to that!  I think that is all the updates I have for you all!

Now onto Morning Meditation

Motivation for the Day:  Mexico (12 more days!  Wahoo)

Three Things I am Thankful for Today:  1-  No headache  2- The love and happiness between my Husband and I  3-  Monday the worst day of the week is over!  : )

Goals for the Day:  Be as productive as I can today and get everything caught up with work.

Motivation Quote of the Day:  Human beings are made of body, mind and spirit. Of these, spirit is primary, for it connects us to the source of everything, the eternal field of consciousness.   – Deepak Chopra  (I really love his quotes)

7 6

I want to share with you, a expert, I read this morning from the magazine Natural Health

Keep a gratitude journal  One of the most effective ways to cultivate appreciation is to write daily in a gratitude journal.  In Emmon’s studies,  people who make simple lists of what they’re thankful for are 25 percent happier, sleep half an hour more per night and exercise 33 percent more each week than those who don’t”.

Pretty cool right?  Do you make list of what your thankful for?  What are three things you are thankful for today?

When you smile, it makes others around you smile!  : )  (Pictures are from our engagement session in Minneapolis  http://studiobluemn.com )

11 Responses to “Meatless Monday”

1. Jess October 26, 2010 at 3:09 pm #

I’m thankful for school (even though I don’t like it sometimes, I am blessed to be able to go to college), my friends- especially ones I have reconnected with lately, and food, of course!

2. Stefanie October 26, 2010 at 8:58 pm #

I’ve never had a migraine, so I am thankful for that! I can’t imagine how they must feel knowing how bad a simple headaches hurts! I’m glad you feel better!

Absolutely beautiful photos! 🙂

3. Stefanie October 26, 2010 at 9:01 pm #

And also, Meatless Mondays is a great idea!! 🙂

4. jsutera654 October 26, 2010 at 9:10 pm #

LOVE your pics, you two look so cute and in love! I love that! I also loved the idea of treadmilling it on a steep incline for a different kind of cardio burn. I may be stealing this in the dead of winter when it’s too cold to run outside and running on the treadmill just makes me want to cry. This walking with intention thing might do the trick instead 🙂

• Balanced Healthy Life October 27, 2010 at 7:34 am #

Thanks! I think you’ll like that workout, you just need to make sure the speed is a little fast and that you squeeze your glutes with each step! No joke, my glutes are so sore today! If you don’t squeeze them, you wont get that great burn! : )

5. Erica October 26, 2010 at 9:20 pm #

Your pictures are beautiful! Y’all look so happy to be together 🙂 I’m totally in for meatless Monday…but its kind of cheating because I’m a vegetarian 🙂 I wish I could help with the headaches. And I love the phrase “walking with intention”- totally stealing that 😉

• Balanced Healthy Life October 27, 2010 at 7:35 am #

Thanks! I’m glad your on board for Meatless Monday (even if you are a vegetarian)!!! : )

6. Laury @thefitnessdish October 26, 2010 at 6:29 pm #

Your engagement photos are AMAZING!!!!!!!

I used to get migraines ALL the time! I got them under control when I started seeing a chiropractor that did all muscle work, along with regular massage, watching sugar intake (meaning natural sugars–I don’t eat processed sugar), and making sure I got in more raw veggies. So far, so good. They used to be brutal..I was even on medication for them at one point! Not fun….no one understands the pain until they experienced them!

• Balanced Healthy Life October 27, 2010 at 7:39 am #

Thanks! I have medication that the doctors say I should be taking as well, but I don’t. I don’t like putting anything like that into my body, I rather change my diet and lifestly over taking a perscription med each day! I kind of did what you did, I cut out a lot of “fake and artificial” foods, steer clear of sugars (not from fruit) and try to consume lots of veggies, fruit and water.