Not So Good Run and Cupping Aftermath

28 Oct

This morning I did not want to get out of bed.  I tried bribing the Husband with Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Lattes and watching the movie The Holiday, but he didn’t take the bait.  Needless to say, I was dragged to the gym where I had a crummy workout.  Here are my stats:

• Distance:  5 miles
  • Time:  1:00:28
  • Calories:  568 (25% fat)
  • Max Heart Rate:  219bpm (113% max <—I think my HRM went berserk for a bit)
  • Average Heart Rate:  168bpm (87%max <—which is skewed from my max HR)

The whole time I was on the treadmill, I was chanting mantras, listening to pop music, playing mental mind tricks (If you just run 3 more minutes you can take a walking break), but nothing, I tell you nothing was working.  I somehow made it through the hour and am so happy its over!  Yes, even personal trainers don’t want to workout at times!  : )

Breakfast today is hot lemon water, followed by a cup of black coffee, toast with about 3tbsp PB and before work, flax and chia seed drink!

Dinner last night was basically a repeat of Tuesday night, only it had different veggies!

Parmesan Encrusted Tilapia and Spicy Broccoli

Served  with cranberry water in a wine glass to make the night fun!  : )

While I was preparing dinner, I snacked on celery, Kashi Crackers and hummus.  During the day, I ate an apple for my AM snack along with a good sized handful of almonds.  Lunch was another good sized handful of almonds with a whey protein shake mixed with water.

Morning Meditation

Motivation of the Day:  Mexico (are you getting sick of seeing this already?)

Three Things I am Thankful for Today:  1-  The morning WO is done with!  2-  Our puppy is going to be born soon!  3-  My bed for letting me sleep so soundly night after night!

Goal for the Day:  Train hard all morning so I can relax this afternoon and maybe, just maybe sneak in a quick 30 minute cat nap!  : )

Motivational Quote of the Day:  Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. -Mahatma Gandhi

Yesterday, I went to my massage and had my neck and hip worked on.  Let me tell you, this type of massage is not relaxing at all.  After my hip was twisted in every way possible, she got her elbow into the massage and tried getting my fascia to relax.  One word:  ouch!  We didn’t do much back cupping, and mostly did cupping on right thigh and butt (I’ll spare you the pictures).  We did just a little bit on my neck and here is what my neck looks like today:

Since she did a lot of cupping in the same area, you can’t see the cupping circles that well.  These marks last about 4 days give or take.  The ones on my leg are very pale and will more than likely be gone by tomorrow.  Cupping is a great way to get the muscles to be more pliable.  It also creates blood flow to the area and helps eliminate toxins as well.  I really like it and have seen good results.  I go back in next Wednesday to get my hip worked on more and also she is going to start working on my legs (she said my muscles are overly tight- not good)!

What do you do on the days you are dreading working out?  Do you chant mantras in your head while working out?  If so, what are they?

18 Responses to “Not So Good Run and Cupping Aftermath”

1. kbwood October 28, 2010 at 8:24 am #

OH my gosh that looks painful!!! and thats hilarious about bribing your husband.. starbucks+the holiday sounds AWESOME girl! I wish I could still eat tilapia, but ever since i found out it wasnt a real fish, it freaks me out!

• Balanced Healthy Life October 28, 2010 at 11:18 am #

No pain, it just looks painful! It actually feels really good while the cupping is taking place. With tilapia, I rather eat that then sugar, frozen meals or a stick of butter! I’ll have to do a research on tilapia being fake, that might change my mind! : )

2. Tina October 28, 2010 at 8:51 am #

Oh, ouch!!! I guess you gotta do what works in the long run though. And don’t you hate those days where workouts just feel like torture. I bet one of your next ones will feel like the best workout ever.

• Balanced Healthy Life October 28, 2010 at 11:17 am #

The cupping “bruise” marks don’t hurt at all and neither does the actually cupping itself. Which is a good thing! : ) I hope my workout tomorrow is a lot better! I hate when I’m not feeling into it!

3. Bess October 28, 2010 at 12:39 pm #

I definitely know what you mean about not always in the mood to work out!! Sometimes you just aren’t feeling it…but good for you for working out anyways 🙂 Oh ps…that piece of toast with peanut butter looks amazing…I love how its overflowing with PB. Always ok in my book!

• Balanced Healthy Life October 28, 2010 at 1:22 pm #

The bread was the last piece of the Low Sodium Ezekiel bread so it was extra small. I made up for it by putting tons and tons of PB on it! I needed to make sure I got my calories!

4. Jamie @ Food in Real Life October 28, 2010 at 12:56 pm #

I could never run that long on the treadmill- I hate that thing! On the days I hate working out I just tryyy and keep going but I might just bail. Usually when I feel that way, it’s because I need some rest. That neck bruise looks scary! EEK!

• Balanced Healthy Life October 28, 2010 at 1:23 pm #

The treadmill is my favorite usually in the gym, but not today! : ) It looks scary, but it doesn’t hurt, it just from toxins getting pulled from my muscles!

5. Erica October 28, 2010 at 1:42 pm #

As a group fitness instructor, I can say there are DEFINITELY days when I do not feel like working out/teaching too. I always try to focus on how good I’m going to feel afterwards and it always helps. Great dinner! I love spicing up my veggies

You must try the nut butter in chili! It adds a smokey taste…not super sweet or anything like that.

• Balanced Healthy Life October 28, 2010 at 6:57 pm #

I’ll add it to the recipes we are going to make soon! I think I’ll have to sneak in the nut butter or the Husband might not try it! Sometimes he can be picky with what is mixed into his food! : )

6. Shanna, like Banana October 28, 2010 at 1:55 pm #

OH dear god, that looks terrible and painful too! I can’t handle deep tissue or sports massages. I must go for the fluff!

• Balanced Healthy Life October 28, 2010 at 6:56 pm #

haha the fluff! I think everyone should try cupping. It doesn’t hurt at all. The first time I had it done, it did itch my skin like crazy, but then everyone other time I’ve had it done, it was pain free!

7. Maren October 28, 2010 at 4:08 pm #

Hard runs are the worst! props for finishing :). They do make the best finished runs, the mentally hard ones.

• Balanced Healthy Life October 28, 2010 at 6:55 pm #

I think it was overly hard also because right before I woke up I was dreaming I was running in a marathon, so I went from running in my dream (which wasn’t easy) to running at the gym!

8. allieksmith October 28, 2010 at 5:17 pm #

That sounds like on CRAZY massage! All of your food pictures look delicious 🙂

9. Nicole October 28, 2010 at 7:15 pm #

Cupping looks so painful!! I’ve read lots about it, but I can’t get over the look of it! Painful, it seems!

The tilapia looks so good!!

• Balanced Healthy Life October 28, 2010 at 7:19 pm #

Try it out! I think you’ll like it. It almost feels as if someone is giving you a hickey, and thats the type of mark it leaves as well. : )