Happy Birthday M

7 Dec

Today is a great day.  My adorable niece turns the big 3 today and I can’t believe how old she is getting so quickly!  Where does time go?  It feels like just yesterday she was still so young!

This morning I got woken up by the loudest coyote EVER!  I haven’t heard a coyote in months and at 3am, there must have been one in our yard howling out Christmas songs!  The thing would not stop.  I actually found the humor in it and started laughing, annoying the husband ever more!

source

When the alarm went off at 5am, I had barely slept since the coyote.  We headed into the gym, and I ran for about 50 minutes on the treadmill.  A friend is letting me borrow her Jeff Galloway marathon training book, and last night before bed, I was flipping through it and started reading about the run-walk approach he suggests for marathon training.  I am running the Sedona 1/2 in mid February, and am contemplating running the San Diego marathon in June.  This morning I took his advice and ran for 5 minutes then took a minute walking break.  Overall, this did not mess with my millage at all.  I think I ran maybe .2 – .3 miles less than normal, but at the end of my workout, my legs and muscles were still feeling great (I was running slower than usually too because of my right hip and lower back).  I can’t wait to play around with this concept more.  I need to work with my foam roller immediately on my hip!  I think I am going to do yoga again this evening, just to try and loosen it up and stretch out my lower left side of my back.  Ahhh, so annoying!  I hate having aches and pains…I thought I was too young to have these things happen to me!

Morning Meditation

Motivation for the Day:  Be the best Aunt I can be to M!  : )

Three Things I am Thankful for Today:  1-  My new Crate and Barrel glasses that came in the mail yesterday, 2-  My beautiful 3 year old niece who I love more than anything  3-  Pandora for keeping the music coming morning after morning!

Goal for the Day:  Make sure to do hot yoga this evening even if I am tired and don’t want to do it!

Motivational Quote of the Day:  The future depends on what we do in the present. – Mahatma Gandhi

Question:  What is your favorite part about having nieces or nephews?  What is your goal for the day?

18 Responses to “Happy Birthday M”

1. Jess December 7, 2010 at 10:00 am #

Today is my nephew’s 10th birthday! I love that they love spending time with me. They both get so excited when I come over to visit. I’m the fun, young aunt!

2. Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun December 7, 2010 at 10:28 am #

Happy birthday to your niece! And I really like the run/walk idea. When I try to pick up running some after pregnancy I’m sure that method will come in very handy for me as I work to build up endurance.

• Balanced Healthy Life December 7, 2010 at 3:06 pm #

I like the run walk method too, plus it makes running go faster and feel so uch easier!

3. IHeartVegetables December 7, 2010 at 12:20 pm #

Love the Gandhi quote! Unfortunately, I don’t have any nieces or nephews yet 😦 I keep telling my brother and his wife I’m ready to be an aunt! 😉

4. TheSceneFromMe December 7, 2010 at 12:34 pm #

It’s fun to watch our neice and nephews grow up and learn. From babies to teens, we’ve seen it all.
    My goal today: Sleep well tonight for once…!

• Balanced Healthy Life December 7, 2010 at 3:07 pm #

I can’t wait to watch little M grow up into a teen! I guess I still have years to wait!

5. allieksmith December 7, 2010 at 12:43 pm #

I wish I had a niece or nephew … one day 😉 I also love messing around with work outs when I can because it’s fun to try new methods. My goal for today is to walk my puppy because she deserves a walk!

6. Kat December 7, 2010 at 1:17 pm #

My nephew just turned 3 as well!! That kid is seriously my life. I love him to death. He was a miracle baby ( 4 doctors told my sis she would never have a child) then on easter they found out they were pregnant! So he is very special to us 🙂

• Balanced Healthy Life December 7, 2010 at 3:08 pm #

He is a miracle baby! I love this age b\c they are so curious and say the cutest things ever!

7. Erica December 7, 2010 at 1:52 pm #

I know a LOT of people who the run/walk method has worked for. How exciting that you have a half and potentially a full planned!!! Happy birthday to M! I have one niece and I just love her to pieces. Its amazing how smart they are

• Balanced Healthy Life December 7, 2010 at 3:09 pm #

It is amazing how smart they are! I am hopping I can run, as long as my hip gets better!

8. Hollie @ Lolzthatswim(andRun) December 7, 2010 at 7:00 pm #

Awe that picture of your niece is adorable.

I think I would rather be woken up from a coyote than big old snow plows ha or garbage trucks ha.

9. Bess December 7, 2010 at 7:14 pm #

I know what you mean about feeling too young for those things! I got diagnosed with degenerative disc disease in my lower back last year…from years of strenuous soccer and the things that came with it…normally docs don’t tell you that you have it until you’re like 50…so thats great. lucky me. haha oh well! good luck on your running 🙂

10. cbrady3 December 8, 2010 at 2:24 pm #

I really really love your morning meditation. That would be a great thing for me to start doing – reminds you of what’s important and how to stay motivated!