Happy Hump Day- Almost Over

8 Dec

Yesterday, my day got a little changed when the husband really started not to feel good.  I was planning on doing hot yoga last night, but had to postpone it to make the H some semi-homemade tortilla soup, by request.  Before I go into the recipe, here are my eats from the last few days;

Tuesday

• Breakfast- PB toast and coffee

• AM Snack- Organic granny smith apple and raw almonds
  • Lunch-  Whey chocolate protein shake
  • PM Snack-  Ezekiel pita and organic jalapeno hummus

• Dinner- Tortilla Soup

Wednesday

• Breakfast-  1 piece of Ezekiel low sodium bread with 2 eggs, organic shredded pepper jack cheese and hot sauce

• AM Snack-  Organic granny smith apple and raw almonds
  • Lunch-  Whey chocolate protein shake
  • Dinner- Leftover Tortilla soup with 1 Ezekiel pita

Semi-Homemade Tortilla Soup

Ingredients

• 1 packet Bear Creek soup starter- Tortilla flavor
  • 1 large can of black beans
  • 1 large can of organic crushed or diced tomatoes
  • 1 box of stock- I used chicken
  • jalapenos
  • 2 precooked cut chicken breasts (optional)
  • Organic shredded pepper jack cheese (optional)
  • 1 cup plain Greek yogurt (optional)
  • 1/2 lemon (optional)
  • 1 medium onion- diced (I forgot this part)

Bring 10 cups of water to a boil along with the stock.  Once boiling, add the soup starter, beans, tomatoes, chicken (optional), jalapenos and onion.  Simmer for 15-30 minutes.  While the soup is simmering, mix the 1 cup of Greek yogurt with the juice from 1/2 the lemon to make sour cream.  Serve and Enjoy!

Ready to cook a comfort meal for the Husband

Boil water and stock then add the remaining ingredients- so quick and easy

We had baked organic chicken in the fridge that I decided to cut up and add to the soup

While the soup was simmering, I shredded organic pepper jack cheese

Then made the sour cream.  Greek yogurt + 1/2 lemon juice = Sour Cream

SAM_2703  SAM_2704 SAM_2705

Top the soup with cheese and sour cream to make it even more delicious!  Eat and enjoy!

I love having soup in the winter since it is so warm, comforting and filling!  We topped dinner off with a cup of chamomile tea!  It was a great meal.  After dinner, we watched Glee!  <—Love that show!  Tonight we are keeping it low key.  The husband is napping (trying to beat his cold) and I am guessing we will get to bed early to ensure a great workout in the morning!

Question:  What is your favorite flavor of soup?    I think mine would have to be classic chicken noodle!

16 Responses to “Happy Hump Day- Almost Over”

1. Bess December 8, 2010 at 7:07 pm #

I love how much pb you put on your bread…a girl after my own heart 🙂 Hope your hubby feels better, and that soup looks so yummy!

• Balanced Healthy Life December 8, 2010 at 8:26 pm #

I usually put a lot because that is all I eat for breakfast and having around 3tbsp of PB on the toast keeps me full for hours!

2. Bess December 8, 2010 at 7:08 pm #

oh, and I like creamy tomato. Not the healthiest option, but ohhh I love it!

3. Jess December 8, 2010 at 7:55 pm #

I love tomato soup!

4. Lee @ College Foodie finds December 8, 2010 at 8:18 pm #

What do you put in your whey protein shakes??

5. CaSaundra December 9, 2010 at 6:27 am #

I just read in your “About Me” section that you are from Minnesota and now live in Arizona. I grew up in Minnesota, and am finishing up my last year of college–then I am moving to Phoenix. We are smart gals to leave MN behind haha!

• Balanced Healthy Life December 9, 2010 at 6:59 am #

Except I actually miss it a ton! Oddly enough I miss the cold weather and snow! Christmas just isn’t the same without snow!

6. Erica December 9, 2010 at 7:33 am #

mmm soup is the most perfect dinner right now. Yours looks great! especially with the fresh cheese. My favorite flavor of soup…oh gosh…I have too many- butternut squash, black bean, asparagus, broccoli and cheddar…

7. Catherine*The Spring December 9, 2010 at 8:35 am #

This soup looks amazing! I’m really into making soup this winter too, and not just because it’s easy and comforting, but also because it helps me eat my veggies! Love your blog, and love the concept of focusing on a healthy, balanced life. I’ve been trying to live by that motto as well… check out my blog if you have a moment. Hopefully I can inspire you with some of my healthy recipes too!
    – Catherine at The Spring

8. Shanna, like Banana December 9, 2010 at 8:53 am #

Tortilla soup sounds mighty tasty! Yum!

I don’t know that I have a favorite..if chili is considered a soup then that’s my fave flavor =)

• Balanced Healthy Life December 9, 2010 at 9:28 am #

I consider chili a type of soup! With all the beans and tomatoes in the tortilla soup, it kind of tasted like chili!

9. kbwood December 9, 2010 at 8:54 pm #

ohhh i love that soup recipe!! looks awesome 🙂