Breakfast/Lunch/Master Your Metabolism

17 Jan

Breakfast (7:30am):  This morning, I was craving something green and healthy.  Also, I wanted breakfast to stick to my ribs, as Monday’s at thy gym are always crazy!  I made the Husband and I a green smoothie with extra spinach, along with Low Sodium Ezekiel toast with organic peanut butter.  I got so full after the green smoothie that I was only able to eat a little over half of my toast.

AM Snack (11am):  Organic granny smith apple with a small handful of raw almonds and walnuts.

Apples low in calories (only 100 calories for a medium sized apple) are high in fiber and Vitamin C!

Paired with raw nuts.  The combination of carbs plus protein will keep you fuller longer!

Almonds are high in Magnesium and Manganese, and a very good source of Vitamin E, while walnuts are high in Copper and Manganese.  Both are high in high in healthy fats.

Lunch (1pm):  Boca Chicken Patty on an Ezekiel pita with organic  shredded pepper jack cheese and organic jalapeño hummus.

This is another LGTG (looks gross, tastes great) meal!

After reading the book Master Your Metabolism, by Jillian Michaels a year ago, the husband and I try to eat as many organic foods as we can.  I highly recommend the book.  I already knew a lot about nutrition and how the body processes food, but I learned so much more from this book.  I am probably going to read it again soon, just so I can pick up on more tips that I forgot or didn’t pick up on the first time I read it.

Question:  What health book (diet, exercise or spirit) has helped you along your journey to a balanced healthy life?

Do you have any LGTG meals you love eating?

7 Responses to “Breakfast/Lunch/Master Your Metabolism”

1. Hollie @ Lolzthatswim(andRun) January 17, 2011 at 2:52 pm #

Sometimes my pancakes don’t look that pretty so I just use a photo from a while ago. (but don’t tell anyone bahaha.)

Is that book really good? I have been wanting to read it for a while now but I always think there isn’t much more to learn about dieting and such. I have heard a lot of bloggers rave about it so perhaps I will actually go out and purchase it.

• Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life January 18, 2011 at 7:45 am #

It isn’t really a diet book, it’s more of a healthy living book. It talked about beauty products, eliminating plastics from your life, hormones, and a bunch of other things in addition to healthy foods. Read it! : )

2. Bess January 17, 2011 at 2:56 pm #

I should check out that book to get some tips! I read Skinny Bitch in less than a day…its a small book and a quick read. It made me go vegetarian for awhile but I ended up eating meat again. It had other good tips too and had all this gross stuff that is used in processed foods that makes me never want to touch certain things again!

3. Karen January 17, 2011 at 6:59 pm #

The book that got me started on my healthy living journey was “The Eat-Clean Diet Recharged” by Tosca Reno. I am definitely going to check out that Jillian Michaels book though! Sounds really great!

• Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life January 18, 2011 at 7:47 am #

Love Tosca Reno and the whole Oxygen family! I have that book as well, but have only skimmed it, never really sat down and read it!

4. J.Lynn January 17, 2011 at 9:33 pm #

I actually just finished that book. A friend of mine lent it to me after hearing me complain about my stomach not flattening no matter how hard I worked out, or how “healthy” I ate. I thought it was very enlightening (I, too, knew a lot about nutrition beforehand) and I learned so much more about nutrition.

5. movesnmunchies January 17, 2011 at 11:58 pm #

i have been wanting to read the kind diet… i also have veganomicon which isnt a preaching kind of book, but def educational!