Grocery List

8 Feb

Hey guys!  I have been a little MIA over the past few days and was so excited to finally have time to post again!  This past weekend was crazy busy and filled with fun and adventures!  But now it’s back to the routine of the work week!

Here are a few highlights of my weekend:

We got a new car!  Yay!  Here I am kissing my ancient car goodbye!

Pretty sunset on the walk to our neighbors house for appetizers and wine!

SAM_3900 SAM_3901

Surprise appearance by Slash (my celebrity crush) during the super bowl halftime show!  WAHOO!

And one of my clients gave me this today (technically not the weekend, but it was a highlight)!  So sweet of her!  I have the best clients ever!  Thanks Marnie!

I announced the Larabar giveaway winner Holly yesterday!  So, congrats again to Holly!  Please email me right away at TrainerKjirsten@aol.com  before I am tempted to eat some of the bars!  I kid, I kid!  : )

My eats of the day:

Breakfast:  1/2 cup of black coffee with pb toast and a sliced banana on top

AM Snack:  PB&J Larabar!  Might be my new fav. flavor!

I wanted to share with you my grocery list I use to not only track what needs to be bought, but also plan my weekly meals.  I think last week Chelsey from Clean Eating Chelsey, posted the grocery list she uses and I was blown away by how similar our lists were.  Mine is a little more comprehensive and is 2 pages both front and back.  I created this list a few years ago as a checklist when we would run out of certain items during the week.  It helped me to remember to buy items that I would have otherwise forgotten to buy.  Plus I loved just having to check off items instead of writing out lists each week.

Every Sunday, I print the new list and plan out our meals for the week.  I also check off the items we need to buy right away.  Once I am done at the grocery stores (I usually go to 3 different stores, New Frontiers Natural Market, Safeway/Fry’s and Costco), I keep the list on the counter to keep track of what we run out of during the week.  By taking time every Sunday, we are able to save money and are able to stick with buying the items on the list.  It makes throwing in extra items into the cart harder.  I will admit the Husband and I probably spend way too much on groceries, but we are working on it.  Since we typically buy only organic meats, vegetables and fruits, are bills are a lot higher then what they used to be.  One thing I am working on is buying produce that is on sale.  For example our red bell peppers cost $5.99 a pound (yes, almost 6 bucks will get you one and 1/4 red bell pepper), so if the green bell peppers are on sale for $2.99, I will buy those instead, or just skip the bell peppers all together and buy other vegetables.

Another trick I use when planning meals to save money, is by piggy backing food from one meal to another.  For example, if we have fish tacos on Tuesday night for dinner and I had to buy a 1/2 head of cabbage when we only really need about 1/8 head, I’ll try and plan a meal that can use up the remainder of the cabbage.  So, on Wednesday we might be having Asian Salad for dinner so we can use up the remaining cabbage so we don’t waste it.

Here is my list from this week, as you can see I have our meals planned out and have items that we need checked off.

SAM_3959 SAM_3960 SAM_3961

*I do print out the 2 pages back to back so I only have to deal with once piece of paper, this makes it easier at the store as well.  Check your printer settings before you print, this will save paper too!

If you want a copy of this grocery list, email me at trainerkjirsten@aol.com and I will send you one in a word doc. format!

Question:  What are some of your grocery saving tips?

18 Responses to “Grocery List”

1. Shanna, like Banana February 8, 2011 at 12:26 pm #

It’s hard for me to articulate how I save grocery money…for some reason the hubby can never get it 😉 But I’m flexible and know how to swap ingredients on the fly based on what is on sale.

I also map my list to the layout of the grocery store so I reduce go-backs and streamline everything…

2. ihearteggs February 8, 2011 at 12:26 pm #

I buy my bulk items at costco, chicken, veggies, lean beef, spices, etc etc… it’s MUCH cheaper there. For everything else (and veggie odds and ends) I shop the sale flyers and in the summer go to farmers markets (I save a TON this way!)

• Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life February 8, 2011 at 1:48 pm #

I LOVE Costco’s spices! They are SO much cheaper! I just picked up their Garlic Powder over the weekend! I also like buying out organic brown eggs there and also their nuts are a steal of a deal there!

3. Kat February 8, 2011 at 12:28 pm #

I rarely make full lists. I always head to the store with the essentials in mind (fruit and veg) and then pick up whatever else we may need that week like greek yogurt, almond milk, ect. My hubby eats VERY differently from me, so a lot of the time I am shopping for me!

• Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life February 8, 2011 at 1:50 pm #

We also have our staples we need to buy every week, typically if my husband wants something not on the list and isn’t with me shopping, he’ll swing by the store to grab it, but we typically we the same things all week!

4. Little Miss Fitness February 8, 2011 at 12:30 pm #

I’ve been trying to coupon clip…but I find that a lot of the items I want/need are not listed in the paper. So, I do a lot of buy one get one deals…we shop Publix and they have a whole list every week. It’s so hard to keep a grocery bill under control, but it’s so worth buying the good food. You’ll save money in the long run by avoiding the dr! 🙂

5. Sophia @ Raven Waves February 8, 2011 at 12:41 pm #

Your sunset pictures are beautiful. I wish it wasn’t so crummy in Chicago still! Thanks for the tips too!

6. Hollie @ Lolzthatswim(andRun) February 8, 2011 at 1:38 pm #

I tend to go to the local super market to get produce and buy chicken and meats in bulk at BJ. I wish they sold pancake mix in bulk, that would be lovely.

7. Katie February 8, 2011 at 1:45 pm #

Love the pic your friend gave you as a gift, so sweet!

I go to 3 different stores to get all I need! lol! I get all my veggies/fruit at the organic co-op, walmart for basic stuff like egg beaters, cereal, almond milk, and Kroger for some other needs!

8. movesnmunchies February 9, 2011 at 12:21 am #

you are SO organized.. i need to learn from YOU i sure dont have any tips to help!

9. TheSceneFromMe February 9, 2011 at 7:16 am #

That is a great pic that your client gave you! How sweet 🙂 And I love the sunset pictures. Wish that sun would melt all this snow here!
    Your list is so organized. Whenever I run out of something I just write it down as a need. Then I flip thru my recipes that I want to make and write down those needs too. I don’t plan every meal of the week though.

10. TheNewHealthy February 9, 2011 at 10:53 pm #

I am so bad at making grocery lists–which is probably why I always end up spending way more than I should!