Beginner Strength Training Workout

10 Feb

Hey guys!  Nothing too new on my end, I’m just looking forward to the weekend like most of you I bet!

I wanted to post the Wednesday Thursday Workout of the week.  This workout is intended for people who have little to no experience with weight training.  I also suggest using weight machines for the first few months before you try the free weights and benches for certain exercises.  However, there are a few exercises you will be able to do in the free weights such as bicep curls.  The exercises below are a variation of machines, free weights (biceps), cables (triceps) and mat work.

897

You will want to have a personal trainer help correct your form when you first get started and remember to check with your doctor before trying a new exercise program.

903

Beginner Strength Training Workout

Repeat each exercise twice (or three times once you have completed the workout a few times) with 12-15 reps

• Leg Extension
  • Leg Press
  • Seated Leg Curl
  • Squats (not a machine)
  • Lat Pull Down
  • Seated Row
  • Chest Press
  • Shoulder Press
  • Bicep Curls (not a machine)
  • Hammer Curls
  • Triceps Rope Pull Downs (not a machine)
  • Dips (on bench, not a machine)
  • Plank (bent arm, on mat)
  • Straight Arm Plank (on mat)
  • 1 Minute of Bicycle Crunches (on mat)
  • Reverse Crunch

*Make sure you get minimum 5 minutes of cardio in before you start your weights to warm up your muscles.

910

This beginners workout will tighten and tone the whole body while raising your metabolism for up to 48 hours after your workout.

What are you waiting for?  Lets hit the GYM!!!!  : )

12 Responses to “Beginner Strength Training Workout”

1. kristen February 10, 2011 at 4:52 pm #

Thanks for posting this! I have no problem getting in cardio workouts, but figuring out strength training can be more difficult.

2. Sophia @ Raven Waves February 10, 2011 at 6:47 pm #

Thanks for the great ideas!! 🙂

3. movesnmunchies February 11, 2011 at 6:52 am #

SO awesome! JUST what i needed- bookmarking this page!

4. Jess February 11, 2011 at 8:29 am #

great beginner workout! i might be taking advantage of this:)

5. Little Miss Fitness February 11, 2011 at 8:50 am #

Looks awesome–I love this!

P.S. Are you Ace or NETA certified by chance? I got NETA certified this fall–but am wondering what classes I should take to get my credits. Any suggestions??

• Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life February 11, 2011 at 10:21 am #

I’m ACE certified. Are you talking about what CEC coursed to take for your cert renewal? If you are, I highly suggest pre/post natal, eledery, nutrition or special populations courses. It will give you an edge over other trainers b\c you will have more knowledge about how to train these people

6. Stella February 11, 2011 at 12:54 pm #

Awesome advice! I have already been looking for something similar to this for a long time now. Thanks!

7. emma February 11, 2011 at 3:00 pm #

hello! ooh I’m totally gonna give this workout a go….i definately neglect the weights a bit. thankyou!