Baked Sweet Potato that Wasn’t

20 Jul

I was really looking forward to dinner tonight, as I had two sweet potatoes that needed to be used up.  After thinking about what I wanted to do with them all day, I decided on making baked sweet potatoes.  I’ve never made a baked sweet potato, let alone a regular baked potato.  I looked up a recipe and thought I memorized it in my head.

Well, I guess that wasn’t the case because almost two hours after they went into the over, the middles were still hard!  I set the oven 100 degrees cooler than what the recipe called for.  : (

I would have taken pictures, but I was so frustrated with the potatoes and myself for messing up such an easy recipe, I tossed them in the garbage like a hot potato!

But, this is what I had envisioned them to look like:

Basic Baked Sweet Potato

YUM!

So, the question for the evening is:

Question:  Do you make baked sweet potatoes?  If so what is your secret recipe?

I’ll be back tomorrow with the workout of the week and some eats from the past few day!  Have a great night!

12 Responses to “Baked Sweet Potato that Wasn’t”

1. Nora @ Healthy Honey, Hungry Hubby July 20, 2011 at 8:11 pm #

I just poke holes in ’em, wrap them in damp paper towels, and nuke for about 8 minutes!

2. Shanna, like Banana July 20, 2011 at 8:37 pm #

I’m a microwave girl…or my gut instinct would be to also poke holes and put ’em in the oven at 400 for 20-25 minutes?

3. Maren July 20, 2011 at 8:38 pm #

I was actually thinking just the other day that I have no idea how to bake a potato. So I probably would have botched it on the first try too. You’ll get it next time for sure now!

• Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life July 21, 2011 at 7:15 am #

haha, you and me both! I’m not a potato fan and never buy them, but decided to switch up our nightly meals by adding in a baked sweet potato! I think with some tips I might be able to cook one now!

4. allieksmith July 21, 2011 at 6:56 am #

I cut mine into fries add olive oil, salt, and cinnamon and microwave for 6 minutes!

5. Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather July 21, 2011 at 8:27 am #

6. Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather July 21, 2011 at 8:28 am #

Bummer about your sweet potatoes. I poke em a few times with a knife and stick em in a 400 degree oven for 40-50 mins. No wrapped on em. Works every time!

7. kelly @ D2BD and Cocktails & Cardio July 21, 2011 at 8:54 am #

We make baked potatoes at our house all the time. Our recipe…
    wash off potato and pat dry
    poke some holes w/ a fork around the potato randomly
    wrap well in foil and place on a foil lined backing tray
    [sometimes the potatoes will burst and leak sticky juice that is a PAIN to clean up]
    PREHEAT OVEN TO 550, yes I said 550
    Put the potatoes and tray in the oven and good for an hour
    [squeeze potatoes if they aren’t squishy keep them in there longer]
    Squeeze test until they are soft all the way around

*** smaller potatoes take less time just do a check after a half hour

I always start potatoes before anything, same for baked potatoes they take a long time to make but if I start them while I chop dinner up, or shower after a workout the potatoes are almost always ready when the rest of the food is.

I hope this helps!!!

I have heard of microwave recipes too but never tried them.

8. kelly @ D2BD and Cocktails & Cardio July 21, 2011 at 8:57 am #

sweet potato recipe #2: Mashed Sweet Potatoes

Peal the potatoes, rinse and cut into small cubes [2×2″ or smaller]
    put in pot, cover w/ water and boil until fork tender
    [again not sure of time just when it seems super tender]

Drain water, place back in the pot and mash away

** You can add butter but you don’t have to
    ** Add cinnamon if desired to taste
    ** Add brown sugar if desired to taste

OR JUST EAT PLAIN! No milk or liquid is needed they turn out smooth and amazing and take less time than baking.

I always feel like this is a bit healthier for me less butter, less qty of potato and less cinnamon on top when it’s just a small helping of mashed sweet potatoes.

Can you tell I adore sweet potatoes?