From Sleeping in to Hitting the Gym

2 Aug

This morning was just like almost every other Tuesday.  The alarm went off at 5:02am (yes, I like having that extra two minutes).  Then the dog woke up and was ready to play and go out.  I don’t know how he wakes up and a second later he is ready for the day.  I swear he could run a marathon the minute he wakes up.  Next thing I know, Keith’s alarm is going off and he hits the snooze button.  Yes, a few more minutes of shut eye!  Ten minutes later we are sluggishly getting out of bed and getting ready to head into the gym.  I never actually want to get out of bed.  I mean the thought of spending 45 minutes on the treadmill (as in today’s workout) never sounds as good as sleeping in and snuggling into the covers.  But some things just need to get done, so off we went.

My workout this AM was 45 minutes of cardio on the treadmill.  It actually went by really quickly as I alternated between incline walking and running.  I like to walk for one song and then run for the following song, it really does make the time fly by!  By the end, I was so happy I got my booty out of bed and into the gym (this is always the case.  I have never regretted a workout.  Have you?).  Any time I want to sleep in, I  know that I wont be able to fall back asleep so I can either lounge around the house for an hour or hit the gym and get my endorphins flowing for an hour.  I mostly pick going into the gym, but I wont lie, there are days that I skip my morning workouts and it feels so great!  I will usually have a game plan on when later in the day I have to make up my skipped AM workout though.

The biggest motivating factor for me getting out of bed is how great I will feel the rest of the day if I make my early morning workout.  Not only will I feel like I accomplished something before most people roll out of bed, I will also be more energized for my day and I tend to eat healthier when I have completed an early morning workout.  My logic is this:  if I drag my butt out of bed by 5am to do something good for my body and mind, I am not going to eat bad and ruin what my good early morning workout has done for me.  Otherwise, I would have just slept in.

Another reason I like working out first thing in the morning is that I hate thinking about working out.  I tend to think about my workout all day when I need to do it in the afternoon or evening.  I don’t know about you but some days I don’t feel like working out.  So if I put it off until later in the day, my mind will be consumed with the task up until I do it.  This also makes me skip workouts too.  If I typically don’t start my workout until after 11am, I probably wont be doing it all day long.  I just get so preoccupied with other things and after thinking about it all day long, I rather not do it.  Hence, when I work out first thing in the morning, I don’t have time to think about it.  I roll out of bed and by the time my brain starts functioning properly, my workout is almost over!

I guess that is enough rambling from me about why I love early morning workouts.  Sorry that I kind of went on and  on!

Now onto my eats from yesterday:

• Breakfast-  Egg and Cheese Sandwich on an English Muffin and 2 Oranges (well just the juice)

SAM_5530SAM_5529

• AM Snack-  Red Delicious Apple and a Kashi Bar
  • Lunch-  Rice, Cheese and Bean Burrito with Added Cheese (just a tad) and Hot Sauce

I buy these at Costco, they are high in sodium but other than that make a great quick and easy meal.  They have 260 calories, 13 grams of protein and 7 grams of fiber!  Just make sure you drink an extra glass or two of water to help flush out the salt!

• PM Snack-  Kashi Bar and a Glass of Green Machine Naked Juice
  • Dinner-  Flank Steak and Cream Cheese Sandwich on a Bagel Thin and Corn on the Cob with Olive Oil, Sea Salt and Pepper

• After Dinner Sweet Treat-  Caramel Apple Sucker

That’s it for me today!  See you guys tomorrow!

Kjirsten

Question:  Do you like working out in the morning, afternoon or evening?

What motivates you to get to the gym?

What are you favorite toppings for corn on the cob?

14 Responses to “From Sleeping in to Hitting the Gym”

1. Allie August 2, 2011 at 5:22 pm #

I like to workout any time of the day if I can but if I have a busy day I prefer the morning! For corn I like butter salt pepper!

2. Jenny August 2, 2011 at 6:37 pm #

I’m more of a morning working out person just because I feel like it sets the tone for the day. I love corn on the cob! 😀

• Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life August 3, 2011 at 7:29 am #

I forget how much I like corn until we make it! We made it in the microwave for the first time and it was so easy and quick, plus it tasted delicious!

3. healthyappletite August 3, 2011 at 12:09 am #

do you not try to eat wholemeal instead of white bagels and wraps? x

• Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life August 3, 2011 at 7:27 am #

I don’t eat bagel thins that often maybe once every 2-3 weeks so I have no problem eating them the way they are as opossed to buying special ones for me that will go to waste. This was actually the first time we bought them and the husband is a huge fan on them.

As far as buying bread products I buy Ezekiel for me (pitas, bread and English muffins) and Alpine Valley for my husband.

4. Maria@healthydiaries August 3, 2011 at 5:44 am #

I NEVER feel like getting up to go to the gym before work either, but I do… most days 🙂 I love how it sets the tone for my day too.

5. tinafaithfitnessfun August 3, 2011 at 7:14 am #

I much prefer the morning but I don’t do EARLY morning well. Luckily I can do 7 or 8 am most days. I do have to get up early in the mornings to get work things done. It’s always hard to force myself up when the alarm goes off – but like you said, I know I can never fully go back to sleep so its just a waste to lay there.

• Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life August 3, 2011 at 7:24 am #

I can’t imagine having two young kiddos and getting in a super early am workout! You are lucky you can it in at 7 or 8am!

6. Maren August 3, 2011 at 12:38 pm #

I’ve regretted workouts before but only a few times. P.S. Those bean and rice burritos look amazing! I love quick and easy food.

7. loftyappetite August 3, 2011 at 1:23 pm #

I love your suggestion of running for a song and walking for a song. One thing that’s kept me away from morning workouts is my laziness and not being fully awake til about 11am. So the few times I have worked out in the morning I felt like i didn’t push myself as much as in the afternoon or evening when I have the most energy. Starting out slow with this kind of pace is a good compromise.

• Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life August 3, 2011 at 1:41 pm #

It is a good compromise and you still get your heartrate up high so you are working your cardiovascular system. After a few weeks, you can run for two songs and walk for one and then gradually start running nonstop, although I personally love taking the walking breaks, I find I don’t tire out as quickly and can get more miles out overall.