Workout of the Week- In Home Workout

25 Aug

Good morning!  Keith and I just got back from our morning workout.  It was a strength day for me today and the time flew by.  I barely had time to finish and had to make my last circuit short and quick.  Here is what I did:

• 5 Minute Treadmill Warm Up 4.0 and 6.0 mph
  • Leg Extension and Hip Abduction x2
  • 2 Minutes on Treadmill at 6.0 mph
  • Lat Pull and Hip Circles x2
  • 2 Minutes on Treadmill at 6.0 mph
  • Plank, Straight Arm Plank and Side Plank x2
  • 2 Minutes on Treadmill at 6.0 mph
  • Back Extension, Cable Rows and Walking Lunge x2
  • Cable Pec Flys and Incline Chest Press x2

Eats from yesterday are as follows:

• Breakfast-  Egg, Ham and Cheese English Muffin Sandwich with 1/2 Grapefruit

• Am Snack-  Small Apple and Lunabar

One of my clients brought me in a HUGE bag of gala apples she picked from her trees!  Love!

• 2nd Am Snack-  Tortilla with 1 Thin Slice of Ham and Swiss Cheese
  • Late Lunch- 1/2 Rueben and Sweet Potato Fries
  • Dinner-  Monster Salad-  Romaine, Tomato, Cucumber, Red Onion, Walnuts, Dried Cranberries, Feta Cheese, Red Bell Pepper and Huckleberry Dressing

Looking back, I ate a lot yesterday.  I was starving all day for some reason up until lunch.  The baby is most definitely growing!  : )

Since I didn’t post my eats from Tuesday and don’t remember exactly what I had, I’ll show you my lunch/pm snack!  Pitas and hummus!  Yum!

Ezekiel pita with Swiss cheese, drizzle of olive oil and a dash of sea salt and pepper.  I broil the pitas until they are warm and eat them with garlic hummus!

Workout of the Week- In Home Workout

Working out at home is a great way to fit exercise into your day and save you a trip to the gym.  You don’t need much equipment at all, just some weights and a rubber tubing band.

***Remember before starting a new exercise program to consult with your doctor.***

This workouts will hit all muscle groups and should take you anywhere from 30 minutes to 45 minutes.

Warm Up- 5 minutes.  1 Minute each of

• Mountain Climbers
  • Burpees
  • Speed Skaters
  • High Knee Kicks
  • Butt Kicks

Circuit #1- Legs and Biceps (dumbbells / band needed)

• Squat with Bicep Curls
  • Holding Stork Pose with Hammer Curls
  • Reverse Curls
  • 1 Leg Squat
  • Jumping Lunges

2 Minutes High Knee Kicks

Circuit #2- Chest, Tricpes and Legs (dumbbells)

• Tricpes Extension (1 arm at a time)
  • Floor Kickbacks
  • Jumping Squats
  • Push Ups
  • Floor Pec Fly with Bridge

2 Minutes Butt Kicks

Circuit #3- Back, Legs (dumbbells)

• Bent Row
  • Superman on Mat
  • Upright Row
  • Calf Raises to Failure
  • High Leg Kicks Over Chair (leg goes to the outside)

2 Minutes Mountain Climbers

Circuit #4-  Core

• Plank (hold until failure)
  • Side Plank with 5 Added Lifts at the End (hold until failure)
  • Bicycle Crunches
  • Holding Crunch with Leg Lifts
  • Pilates V Ups or Pilates 100

You will want to do each circuit twice before moving on (or up to three times).  Also, you want to pick how many reps to do each exercise based on how much you can feel the burn.  If you only have a pair of 5lbs dumbbells, you might need to do 50 squats instead of 10, 15 or 20 reps.  It all depends on the weights you have available.  Just make sure you feel the burn before moving on. If you are going to put in the work, you should make the workout count!  :  )

You should be able to look up these exercises online if you don’t know what they are or just ask me!  I wish I had pics of them all to further help you guys out but I don’t.  Now you have the tools, so go get your workout on at home and have fun!

Before I go, here is a cute Quincy pic of the day.  It’s been a while!  He was watching me make salad in the kitchen with his head resting on the couch.  It was adorable!

Questions:

• Do you ever workout at home?
  • What type of exercise equipment do you have at home?
  • What is your favorite muscle groups to focus on while working out?

19 Responses to “Workout of the Week- In Home Workout”

1. Claire @ Live & Love to Eat August 25, 2011 at 8:14 am #

I love at home workouts! And Galas are my favorite! 🙂

2. Carol August 25, 2011 at 8:42 am #

I have a G5 and a treadmill in my garage that I sometimes have to wipe the dust off…lol

3. Heather August 25, 2011 at 9:14 am #

Thank you thank you! That looks like a great workout and I will definitely be using it tonight! I’ll let you know if I’m still thanking you in the morning 😉 I have a treadmill, physioball, dumbbells, bands, and a 24 pound baby boy!! I love in home workouts , especially because I don’t belong to a gym. thanks Kjirsten.

• Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life August 25, 2011 at 10:19 am #

You can do some of the moves using the physioball if you want such as the pec flys. You can also use the treadmill for your warm up and cardio bursts as well! : )

4. Tiff August 25, 2011 at 9:22 am #

Thanks for the workout. I’ll be in a rush Saturday morning, so I may have to test it out. 🙂 Salad looks great by the way.

5. Laury @thefitnessdish August 25, 2011 at 10:57 am #

I used to workut at home a lot. Since I am an in-home trainer I have lots of stuff. Balance discs, medicine balls, balance ball, pilates ring, bands, push-up bars, weights, etc etc!!!

6. Jenny August 25, 2011 at 12:20 pm #

I don’t workout at home just because I’m so unmotivated! More power to you girl 🙂

• Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life August 26, 2011 at 6:26 am #

Rarely I do my full workout at home, but some days its just easier to get in the workout at home!

• Tangela August 19, 2014 at 3:28 pm #

For the love of God, keep writing these arstclei.

7. Maren August 25, 2011 at 2:38 pm #

That monster salad looks delish!

8. Allie August 25, 2011 at 3:48 pm #

I am jealous of your big bag of apples!!

9. sweetlyvegan August 30, 2011 at 3:22 pm #

I love home workouts! If I don’t have time to drive to yoga I just do a crunch video on netflix right in my living room. I have netflix automatically hooked up to the tv – it streams instantly through the internet for like $10 a month. I usually do the “crunch:super slim down” which is a yoga/pilates mix, or the self workout videos such as “self:best beach body”, Shape magazine has a few videos on there as well. The videos are usually between 30 and 45 minutes and are a great workout! You need hand weights and sometimes a yoga mat but thats it! love your blog!!! 🙂

• Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life August 31, 2011 at 7:33 am #

Those workouts sound fun! I didn’t realize netflix had workouts! We cancelled our account a while ago because we never used it, but I might need to rejoin and give them a try! I’m also excited to check out your blog!