Pre-Pregnancy Foods I Miss & Weekly Workout Recap

30 Aug

Good morning friends!  How is everyone today?  I’m great!  I just got back from a cardio gym workout.  I did 45 minutes on the treadmill.  I’m trying to get in as much running/treadmill as I can before my balance shifts (baby bump) and I start using the arc trainer more.

Eats from yesterday are as follows:

• Breakfast-  Egg, Bacon and Cheese on Bagel Thin and Iced Decaf Coffee
  • AM Snack-  Nothing
  • Lunch-  Bean, Rice and Cheese Burrito topped with Salsa
  • PM Snack-  Small Glass of Naked Green Machine Juice
  • Dinner-  Salad, leftover roasted garlic mashed potatoes, asparagus and a few ravioli

I feel like my eating the passed few days has been very random.  I feel like I’ve been eating more salt than usually and just more food in general.  I’m excited to have leftovers out of the house and only healthy things left.  I really need to go grocery shopping and restock our fridge with fruits and a few other items.

Weekly Workout Recap

I was only able to get in 4 gym workouts this week, but might be able to squeeze in an extra 45 minutes of cardio this week to make up for my missed day last week.  If not, I’m not going to sweat it!

Wednesday August 24- Cardio (treadmill)

• Time:  46:13 Minutes
  • Calories:  378    45 % Fat
  • Max Heart Rate:  177bpm   92% max
  • Average Heart Rate:  154bpm  80% max

Thursday August 25- Strength (backs, legs, chest & core)

• Time:  50:45 Minutes
  • Calories:  331   40% Fat
  • Max Heart Rate:  175bpm     91% max
  • Average Heart Rate:  135bpm   70% max

Friday August 26- Cardio (treadmill)

• Time:  47:45 Minutes
  • Calories:  381   40% Fat
  • Max Heart Rate:  183bpm  95% max
  • Average Heart Rate:  151bpm  79% max

Saturday August 30- Strength at Home (shoulders, hamstrings, triceps & biceps)

I forgot to use my heart rate monitor but I’m guessing my stats look just Thursday’s workout.

I only got in one yoga session last week.  I believe it was Thursday evening for 45 minutes.  It kicked my butt!

Ok, lets get to the Pre-Pregnancy Foods I Miss having

#1.  Flaxseeds

I asked my doctor if I could continue drinking my concoction of flaxseeds, chia seeds and cinnamon mixed with pure cranberry juice and water and she said no.  : (  What a bummer.  She told me not enough research has been done on flax and she wouldn’t recommend it.  I was so sad to hear this news and since have stopped drinking my minimum 2 tbsp of ground flaxseeds a day.  Let me note, I have ate small doses of flaxseeds in recipes, just not a lot.

#2.  Peanut Butter

I couldn’t eat peanut butter up until about 2 weeks ago and still can hardly stomach it.  Let me make it clear that peanut butter is allowed while pregnant, my food aversions just tell me not to eat it!

#3.  Wine

I am find giving up my beloved mojitos, vodka club sodas with lemon and lime and margaritas, but it is not having any wine that is annoying.  I haven’t had a sip of wine in over 4 months!  I’m so looking forward to having a winter baby and then having a nice glass of red wine by the fire all cozy on the couch!  Or some sangria sounds amazing to me as well!

#4.  Sushi

I am allowed to eat sushi that has been cooked.  But to me, that’s not sushi.  I am dreaming of the day when I can order a roll and just dig in without being worried about the raw fish.  My mouth in watering just thinking about sushi right now.  Is it February yet?

#5.  Gorgonzola Cheese

My favorite salad is apple and gorgonzola salad.  It is simply divine.  I never knew soft cheese was off limits unless it is pasteurized and was devastated when I learned I wont be having my favorite salad for many many months.  I did find pasteurized feta, but it is just not the same.  Feta is only okay in my book and can’t compare to the gorgonzola.

#6.  Hot Lemon Water

Back in college in I started drinking a cup of hot lemon water first thing in the morning (or after my 5am workouts).  Since I’ve become pregnant, it is really hard for me to drink hot liquids.  Probably because I feel like I’m hot all the time and was having such a hard time in first trimester keeping anything down.  Cold lemon water I can do and drink plenty of it at night.  I’m looking forward to when hot lemon water first thing in the morning starts sounding good to me again!

#7.  Wheatgrass

The Wheatgrass Book: How to Grow and Use Wheatgrass to Maximize Your Health and Vitality (Avery Health Guides)

My doctor told me no to wheatgrass.  I don’t drink it everyday, but try to get it a few times a week.  A nice freshly pressed 2 ounce shot followed by a big gulp of water.  I read the above book years ago and have been hooked on wheatgrass ever since.  My Mom was the first person to introduce me to it probably back in 2001.  I used to suggest my clients start drinking up until I had so many complaints.  I am totally a believer in it and now that I can’t have it, I want it even more!

There you have it, my 7 foods/drinks I miss the most since becoming pregnant.  It is a small price to pay to keep Baby C healthy and safe, but let me tell you, I might just be eating all these foods in one meal once Baby C is born!

Questions:

• Are there any foods you don’t eat anymore and miss them?
  • If you are or have been pregnant, what did you miss most?
  • What is something you’ve given up recently food related or not (ex:  running since you injured you knee)

17 Responses to “Pre-Pregnancy Foods I Miss & Weekly Workout Recap”

1. Shanna, like Banana August 30, 2011 at 11:49 am #

I sort of miss fresh mozzerella and I also miss copious amounts of caffeine.

I missed wine a LOT in my first trimester, but now I’m getting better..then again I allow myself a half glass every now and then and it totally satisfies and I have my Dr okay.

• Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life August 30, 2011 at 1:35 pm #

I totally ate fresh mozzerella a few weeks back, it was delicious! I check the label and it was okay to eat! I’m so looking forward to my first glass of wine! : )

2. Amy August 30, 2011 at 1:05 pm #

Unfortunately i’ve had to give up 2 days of weight training. I’m only working out 3 days a week weight training. I’ve lost weight and i’m having a hard time getting it back on cause i’m such a clean eater so my doctor highly rec’d me stop weight training so much. Its so hard cause I love working out. I’m used to 2 days upper, 2 days lower and a TRX class every week. I’m hoping i can gain some weight soon and resume at least 1 more day.

• Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life August 30, 2011 at 1:31 pm #

Good luck to you! Weight training does burn a ton of calories so you need to make sure you are eating plenty of food to get all the protein and nutirents your body needs. I’ve always wanted to take a TRX class! They look so fun! I almost ordered some TRX equipment for our gym so I could train my clients with it and use it in my own workouts!

3. Heather August 30, 2011 at 1:24 pm #

Ooh peanut butter! That was one aversion for me too. Plus vanilla ice cream and bananas I couldn’t tolerate. I eat it all now though. Except chicken and shrimp, yuck, I couldn’t stomach that once I got pregnant and I still dont eat it, 11 months later. I missed turkey the most, and salad bar salads when I was pregnant. I forgot If I mentioned that I did your in home workout and ooouuuchhhh!!!

• Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life August 30, 2011 at 1:29 pm #

I couldn’t eat bananas for a while either but can eat them again! I actually ate one mixed in with my lunch! Oh good! I’m glad you liked it! Keep it up and just remember to always push yourself!

4. Amy August 30, 2011 at 1:34 pm #

I love TRX. I get a great lower body workout with TRX

5. allieksmith August 30, 2011 at 1:53 pm #

For a second, I thought pb wasn’t allowed for pregnant people and I was like NOOOOO! Hahah.. you tricked me 😉

You will be able to eat all of your favorite yummy foods very soon while admiring a very cute baby 🙂

6. Maren August 30, 2011 at 2:04 pm #

Aww food aversions sound awful. Especially the peanut butter and sushi. I think I’d go crazy if I suddenly couldn’t stand peanut butter.

• Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life August 30, 2011 at 2:12 pm #

I can stand it a little bit now, but I used to eat it for breakfast every day! I tried eating an PB english muffin and had to throw it away.

7. Laury @thefitnessdish August 30, 2011 at 7:18 pm #

So weird you doc said that. i ate flax, chia, hemp all that daily throught my pregnancy. I went to my doc with all the healthy foods I ate and he said the ONLY things to avoid were shark, tilefish, kind makerol, etc. Listen to your doc but I have no idea why and I would be curious to know. Ella got lots of healthy brain fats from all the chia I ate 😉

• Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life August 31, 2011 at 7:31 am #

I might start adding them back in. I was curious if anyone else had them while pregnant. I love flaxseeds because they fill me up plus provide so many nutrients! I might ask about eating flaxseeds again when I go in for my gender scan. I never thought I’d be craving them but I am!!!

• Laury @thefitnessdish August 31, 2011 at 11:21 am #

I ad wheatgrass too! Not often but I did the Amazing Grass and took it into my doc and he OKAY’D it

• Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life August 31, 2011 at 11:32 am #

I’ve been wondering about it too just like with the flax. I was craving a wheatgrass shot this morning and realized I forgot to add it to my list! Actually a few days ago I wanted one and that’s how I came up with my post idea. I think I might go and just get an 1 oz shot to satisfy me until I can talk my doctor into letting me have it!

8. medchemace August 13, 2012 at 5:58 pm #

I noticed that you gave up Wheatgrass shots during pregnancy however the Naked Green Machine Juice you mention drinking throughout pregnancy has some wheatgrass in it….is it a negligible amount? Should I not drink Naked Green it while pregnant in your opinion? Thank you for you thoughts!

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life August 14, 2012 at 7:54 am #

I gave up wheatgrass shots because my docotor told me not to have them (based off no research), but next time I’m pregnant I will continue taking them, using my own judgement. I do know the Naked Green Machine juice contains a small amount of wheatgrass juice, but the bigger problem is it is not pasturized. I didn’t learn this until well into my pregnancy and I did decide to stop drinking them. So I would probably skip both until after you give birth!