Week 20 Pregnancy Update- Cantaloupe

29 Sep

How Big is Baby?

Baby’s digestive system is busy creating meconium (a tarry black substance made of swallowed amniotic fluid, digestive secretion and dead cells), which will fill the first diaper after birth. And, speaking of the diaper situation… baby’s genitals are now fully formed! (thebump.com)

And according to babycenter.com,

Your baby weighs about 10 1/2 ounces now. He’s also around 6 1/2 inches long from head to bottom and about 10 inches from head to heel — the length of a banana. (For the first 20 weeks, when a baby’s legs are curled up against his torso and hard to measure, measurements are taken from the top of his head to his bottom — the “crown to rump” measurement. After 20 weeks, he’s measured from head to toe.)

He’s swallowing more these days, which is good practice for his digestive system. He’s also producing meconium, a black, sticky by-product of digestion. This gooey substance will accumulate in his bowels, and you’ll see it in his first soiled diaper (some babies pass meconium in the womb or during delivery).

How I’m Feeling Physically

This week was the week for the most noticeable growth of my stomach by far.  I am not joking when I say I woke up one morning and it was looking like it usually does by bed time.  It had got so big overnight.  I think I’m finally showing enough where people who look at me know I’m pregnant and just haven’t ate too much pasta!  I did purchase my first few maternity items this week and I am loving my new jeans!  They are so much more comfortable than my old jeans that to button would dig into my stomach a little bit!  I think the baby is happy not having to get squished every time I now wear jeans!  I’m still on the lookout for a cute pair of reasonably priced skinny jeans I can wear with boots.  I couldn’t find any back in Minnesota so I’m going to start searching the internet for a cute pair!  Any suggestions, let me know!  I also stocked up on tanks, sweaters and a few long sleeve shirts.  I feel much more confident wearing my new maternity shirts that fit my ever expanding stomach properly.  I didn’t buy maternity in the tanks or sweaters (cardigans) because I wanted to wear them again after pregnancy and think I wont have a problem squeezing my 40 week old stomach into them.  🙂

How I’m Feeling Emotionally

Emotionally I am good.  I can’t believe I’m already half way!  Wahoo!!!  I feel really good about my new clothes and also feel really good about the start on clothing we got for the baby while visiting family.  I seriously shopped up a storm.  There was no stopping me.  Another new development from week 20, we decided not to keep the baby’s name a secret anymore.  I accidently slipped up and my Mom heard the name and then we let her initials slip at a wedding we were attending and someone guessed her middle name in two seconds flat.  After that, I felt like her name was already out there and I didn’t need added stress by trying to keep it a secret.  So, probably in the next week, I’ll be announcing her name in a post!  I hope you all love it as much as I do!

Here’s a hint, her first name starts with a C and her middle name starts with an O!

Odd Ramblings

• Weight Gained so Far:  about 8-10lbs depending on the day
  • Days Until my Next Appointment:  15
  • Cravings:  Fruit and Sugar.  Lots and lots of sugar!
  • Naps:  Nonexistent at this point.
  • Things I’m Most Looking Forward to:  Picking out and buying her nursery furniture!  I can’t wait to get her room done! Also, since we shopped so much, we had to send out two huge boxes in the mail and I can’t wait to get them so I can go through and hang all the baby clothes (I’m waiting to wash them until our next ultrasound to reconfirm she is in fact a girl)!

Week 20 Belly Photos

These are not the best, but they do show off the baby belly!  It’s full on now and I’m loving it!

Is that not huge?

22 Responses to “Week 20 Pregnancy Update- Cantaloupe”

1. Shanna, like Banana September 29, 2011 at 7:44 am #

Yay! The bump (still mini) has arrived! Woohoo — looks good.

For jeans, go to Destinationmaternity.com They carry a ton of stuff.

Also make sure you order your crib early because many are made out of China and can get held up in customs or take longer than you’d expect.

I am so excited to hear the name!

Oh and I want sugar more too 😉

• Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life September 30, 2011 at 6:41 am #

I think I’m going to order the crib this weekend. It just went on sale today until the third! I can’t wait to start putting the nursery together!

2. Heather September 29, 2011 at 9:48 am #

Haha you are still not even that big, although it may feel it to you! You look great! Hope your vacation was fun! Did you get any cute baby things like you were hoping? Ooh ooh, my guess is Cameron Olivia??? That’s the first name I had picked out if my son was a girl.

3. Jamie @ Food in Real Life September 29, 2011 at 11:38 am #

Yay, so happy for your update! I have the old navy jeggings with the nude color full panel and love them! I think they will look great with all of the blousy preggo tops. I’m also thinking of ordering another pair of maternity jeans from Old Navy in a few weeks- probably when I get into the 3rd trimester.

4. Shayla @ The Good Life September 29, 2011 at 11:42 am #

Yay so happy to have you back girl! 🙂

And yay for the bump! I can’t wait to hear her name too!! 🙂

5. Kerryne September 29, 2011 at 11:44 am #

You look adorable. I remember feeling that way with my kids, it was always around month 6 when I woke up and literally I had grown double in size over night. So much fun! Enjoy every second of it. I always wanted to rush it out of excitement to meet the babes but if I ever got pregnant again I would really just cherish every second of it!

6. Marissa September 29, 2011 at 2:54 pm #

you look so darn cute though!! So cute 🙂 That baby’s getting big and hope you’re taking care of yourself and getting pampered as much as possible before the BIRTH day!!!

7. Lisa September 29, 2011 at 8:59 pm #

it’s a bump, but it’s not huge! you look great! hmm and i want to guess her name but idk! No idea for the first name but for the middle name I’m gonna guess Olivia?!

8. sweetlyvegan September 30, 2011 at 6:31 am #

you look great doll!!! cant wait to have a bump!

9. Lisa@HealthyDiaries September 30, 2011 at 7:58 am #

You are not big at ALL! You looks great! I cannot wait until I’m pregnant and get to watch my belly grow! So exciting! Can’t wait to hear the name you picked! I really don’t think the name should be a surprise? We definitely won’t hold off on telling everyone!

• Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life September 30, 2011 at 12:36 pm #

I thought it would be fun waiting to announce the name, but I didn’t even last a week! I guess I was just too excited to share!

10. Rachel Starr September 30, 2011 at 8:47 am #

Maternal America makes a great skinny jean! i actually have 2 pairs, they’re so comfy. they run about $100 which is “affordable” considering what’s out there 😉 they run small, medium, large & you’d DEFINITELY be a small. you’re one week ahead of me & i’m still bigger, but my excuse is this is my second pregnancy.

11. Alicia October 1, 2011 at 8:54 am #

You look great! 😀 I’m 18 weeks preggers & it’s so excited to come across other bloggers who are pregnant as well!!!

• Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life October 1, 2011 at 11:39 am #

Thanks for stopping by! I can’t wait to check out your blog! I’m loving reading all the other pregnant blogs out there as well!!!