Weeknight Recap- Tuesday

8 Nov

Hey guys!  I’m glad so many of you enjoyed this mornings post on curbing your sugar tooth!  I hope to add more posts on nutrition in the future!

Today has flown by so fast and I managed to get a lot accomplished.  I’m exhausted tonight and haven’t had a chance to sit down all day so I’m going to keep this short.

Workout

This morning the alarm went off bright and early.  I did 45 minutes of cardio split between the treadmill (walking and incline walking) and the elliptical.  I noticed my heart rate was high than usual this morning so I’m curious to see if that is the case again tomorrow.  I was also uncomfortable walking as I could feel the baby pressing into me with each step and have hip pain while on the elliptical.  Needless to say, I pushed through and burned about 460 calories.  I think my body was just off. On a side note, I really need to get some workout pants that fit.  I was almost embarrassed to step foot in the gym.

Eats

Eats from today were as followed:

• Breakfast-  (pre workout) 1 scoop almond butter, I woke up starving today and didn’t want to workout on an empty stomach.  (post workout) 1 cup of coffee with creamer, 1/2 banana and an Ezekiel English muffin with egg, cheese and tomato.  <—so good!
  • AM Snack-  2 small apple
  • Lunch-  Cliff Mojo bar + a small cup of Greek yogurt with almond butter, chia seeds and a drizzle of honey
  • PM Snack-  Peanuts in shells
  • Dinner-  Baked chicken breast in pasta sauce with whole wheat pasta, salad and left over sprouts

Breakfast

2011-11-08 08.01.372011-11-08 08.03.18

Lunch

2011-11-08 12.21.10

Dinner

2011-11-08 17.31.372011-11-08 17.31.58

2011-11-08 17.35.56

Outfit of the Day

My standard pregnancy look.  This picture made me realize how pale I am.  Holy moly, I don’t know if I’ve ever been this pale!  Any suggestions on self tanners?

2011-11-08 15.12.36

• Jeans- Indigo Blue from Macys
  • Grey Tunic Tank-  Niki Biki from Hot Mama
  • Sweater-  Hot Mama
  • Necklace-  Unsure

Bacon Brussels Sprouts

Adapted from Ann Conrad

• Prep Time:  5 minutes
  • Cook Time:  10 minutes
  • Servings- 4-6 people

Last night, Keith and I had Brussels sprouts for dinner.  I’ll admit I’m not the biggest fan of them but I do enjoy them from time to time.  I wanted to make something other than salad last night and knew I wanted to make Brussels sprouts when I found them at our local natural market .  So, we called Keith’s mom who made them for us last spring and they were the only Brussels Keith and I both absolutely loved.  So, I wanted to pass along the recipe to you guys and hope you give them a try too.

2011-11-07 17.50.20

Ingredients

• 1.5 pounds Brussels sprouts
  • 2-3 slices of bacon (or more if you love bacon.  I like using uncured, natural no nitrites or nitrates bacon.  You could also sub for turkey bacon to make this dish even healthier)

Directions

1.  In a sauce pot, add the Brussels sprouts and cover with water.  Bring the water to a boil.  Once the water is bowling, cook the sprouts for five minutes.

2.  While the sprouts are boiling, cook bacon to your desired crispiness in a skillet.  Once cooked place bacon on paper towels to blot of extra grease and crumble bacon.  Also, taking paper towels, blot up most of the bacon grease in the skillet, leaving only tablespoon or two (or more if you love bacon).

3.  Drain sprouts and cut in half.  Place them in the bacon skillet and toss.  Sprinkle bacon crumbles over top.  Serve and enjoy!

2011-11-07 18.12.47

See, I told you, you would love Brussels sprouts!  Bacon makes everything taste better!  I should have another sprout recipe for you guys next week that involves lemon juice!  Yum!

Question:

• Do you use self tanner?  Any brand suggestions?
  • Do you like Brussels sprouts?  What is your favorite way to prepare them?

8 Responses to “Weeknight Recap- Tuesday”

1. Shayla @ The Good Life November 8, 2011 at 8:58 pm #

We looove brussels sprouts and Todd would love this recipe!! Bacon definitely makes everything better and will be trying this!

I love Jergens self tanning lotion. The color is really natural and the smell is pleasant – its the best one I’ve tried so far! 🙂

• Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life November 9, 2011 at 10:23 am #

I might need to run out after work and buy some. I am not a fan of being pale and haven’t been in the sun since not this past summer but the summer before. I was really careful about not going into the sun this past summer. I didn’t want to overheat the baby and Arizona sun at a high elevation is hot hot hot!

2. Amy November 9, 2011 at 5:37 am #

I am really pale and I love the self tanner from Bare Escentuals. It smells good and doesn’t turn me orange.

3. loftyappetite November 9, 2011 at 7:12 am #

I can’t remember the last time i made or ate brussel sprouts, and i love them! I should really make some. yum.
    Also, I highly recommend jergens natural glow as a self tanner. i use it everyday as tinted face moisturizer, all year round. I have a whole post about it if you are interested!

• Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life November 9, 2011 at 10:21 am #

Yeah I am! I need be careful of what I put on my face since my skin is super sensitive and breaks out easily. You should post the link to the post, I’d love to read it!

4. sweetlyvegan November 9, 2011 at 12:04 pm #

self tanner- i do the mystic tan like once or twice a week. they say it lasts for ten days but that is complete bs. it lasts for like 3 max. when you exfoliate your skin when you shave and shower it all comes off. But its has all natural ingredients and safe for pregnancy (most self tanners out there can not say the same about all natural ingredients) I also use the Loreal when I don’t have time to mystic. Here is the link – http://www.lorealparisusa.com/_us/_en/default.aspx#/?page=top{userdata//d+d//|diagnostic|main:pdp//objectid+SK17_15//{pdp_tab:pdp_overview//objectid+SK17_15//}|media:_blank|nav|overlay:_blank}
    I use it on my face & body now and haven’t had any issues with my skin. It works really great, just make sure to wash your hands really well and get in between your fingers.. I’ve missed that before and pulled a lindsey lohan. lets just say that is not attractive! haha 😉
    your brussel sprouts look amazing too btw 🙂 yum!

• Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life November 9, 2011 at 2:29 pm #

I really should start mystic tanning again. I didn’t realize that it has all natural ingredients. Bonus! When I used to get them, they didn’t last very long, like you said, maybe a few days tops before it would start wearing off. I’m wondering if the mystic we have out here will make me look orange, I used it once before and got the darkest shade and looked so bad! Maybe I’ll give the lightest shade a try, I so hate being pale! I’ve also been airbrushed and it was awesome at first, until the color set in and I looked bright orange the following day! I wanted to hide! Thanks for posting the link, I’m going to check out that loreal product and look into the mystic!