Weeknight Recap- Wednesday

9 Nov

Hey everyone!

Today was another super busy and productive day.  I can’t believe that tomorrow is already Thursday!  So crazy to me and even crazier is that in two weeks it will be Thanksgiving!

Workout

Today’s workout in the gym was all about the upper body lifting.  I did a quick five minute warm up on the treadmill with a little running, before starting my upper body strength workout.  Here is a breakdown of what I did:

• 5 minute treadmill warm up
  • triceps pull downs and triceps overhead pull x3
  • cable hammer curls and bicep curls x3
  • straight bar pull, cable row and back extension x3
  • shoulder press x3
  • lateral raises and rear delt flys x3
  • 5 minute treadmill cool down

The time in the gym went by really fast today.  While starting my back superset, I noticed I was developing a rash on the insides of my elbows and on the tops of my shoulders.  It was itching like crazy as little red bumps started appearing out of nowhere.  I have no clue what was going on, so I decided to take my workout a little bit slower and sure enough, the redness and bumps completely went away by the time we got home from the gym.  I’m telling you, the body does the strangest things when it is pregnant.  Even Keith couldn’t believe what he was seeing!  Anyone else ever experience this before or know why it happens?  I’m pretty sure my upper body is going to be pretty sore tomorrow and I can’t wait!

In addition to going to the gym this morning, I took the dog for a walk after work.  It was sunny and beautiful out so the walk was really enjoyable.  After that, I did prenatal yoga and meditated for a bit.  I was so sleepy after all the activity, I had to take a 20 minute power nap before moving on to making dinner.

Eats

Eats from today were pretty standard.  In fact they look a lot like my past two days.  Tonight I wasn’t very hungry when dinner time rolled around, but I knew I should eat something, especially for the growing baby.  Here is what my day looked like:

• Breakfast-  coffee with creamer, 1/2 banana and an Ezekiel English muffin with egg, cheese and tomato
  • AM Snack-  1 small apple + Cliff Mojo bar  <—I was planning on eating this for lunch but was so hungry I decided to eat it as a part of my snack
  • Lunch-  Greek yogurt with chia seeds, almond butter and honey
  • PM Snack-  Whey protein shake mixed with water and peanuts in shells
  • Dinner-  Salad + a whole wheat pasta with red sauce and chicken breast
  • Late Night Snack-  Candy cane green tea

Breakfast (recycled picture)

2011-11-08 08.03.18

Lunch (recycled picture)

2011-11-08 12.21.10

Dinner

2011-11-09 17.34.49

I find when I’m eating the same foods days after day, it really helps me stay on track with clean eating.  I once read that the 10 years Jennifer Aniston was on Friends she had the same cobb salad everyday.  I like sticking with what I know will provide my body with the nutrients it needs and also keep me full.  I’m so busy during the day I mostly just eat quick grab and go foods.

Have a great night and I’ll be back in the morning with a holiday post!

Questions:

• Are you a creature of habit when it comes to the foods you eat?
  • What is something you have been eating for a long time that you love?
  • Are you a grab and go kind of person during the day?

I think mine would be apples as my morning snack.  I used to have them with almonds, but lately since I’m having almond butter at lunch I’ve been skipping them (although I’m a huge advocate of eating a little bit of protein with fruit, it helps keep you fuller longer).

10 Responses to “Weeknight Recap- Wednesday”

1. Heather November 9, 2011 at 7:57 pm #

Weird about the rash, never had that while I was pregnant but im glad it went away as quick as it came about. Darn hormones!! I am a total creature of habit when it comes to eating. But not as rigid as I used to be

2. Lisa November 10, 2011 at 8:07 am #

Best brussel sprout recipe, clean, wash etc, cut in half, nuke for 3 minutes or so, so you can barely pierce with fork, lay on cookie sheet cut side down, drizzle with olive oil salt and pepper. Roast for 10, 15 minutes at 425 until browned and sizzling, crispy. DELICIOUS. My daughter likes to drizzle balsamic vinegar on them as well.

3. J.Lynn November 10, 2011 at 9:21 am #

I am just now starting to realize that I don’t like cooking, nor do I like grocery shopping all of the time, nor do I like planning and spending so much time thinking about eating! And I can’t agree more with your idea of eating the same things everyday to help keep clean eating in check. When I didn’t have any idea of what I was going to eat for lunch or dinner (breakfast is usually a smoothie or oatmeal), I sometimes didn’t eat as clean as I normally would have.

I’m definitely a creature of habit, but I was trying to be adventurous in my everyday eating there for awhile, which really wasn’t working for me 🙂

Anyway, great post as always!

Have a splendid day,
    J.Lynn

4. Shayla @ The Good Life November 10, 2011 at 11:37 am #

That egg sandwich looks so delicious!!

I am such a creature of habit and have written a post about it. I can literally eat the same breakfast and lunch everyday for a week! But my true fav and something I’ve been eating for a very long time is Greek yogurt – I can literally eat that stuff twice a day, everyday! I guess that’s why I love thick smoothies and fro yo so much – anything creamy and cold I just absolutely love 🙂

• Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life November 11, 2011 at 10:59 am #

I’d say I’m a creature of habit too and I’m totally with you on Greek yogurt right now. It is my favorite lunch by far of the moment!

5. Jourdan Anderson November 10, 2011 at 1:54 pm #

Hey KJ, it’s your sis… Just wanted to let you know that when I was in high school I developed the same rash when I worked out. The rash must run in our family. It was like hives. Red, very itchy and came on during workouts. It started out in one area, generally my legs and/or arms and as I kept working out it would spread all over. The rash would go away as my body temperature cooled down, usually as soon as I got home from the gym. I actually had to tone down the frequency and duration of my workouts to attempt to keep them at bay. Then one day, the hives did not appear. My body seemed to “grow out” of that phase just as suddenly as it had appeared. I have no idea what causes them, but if you find out, definitely pass on the info. It has been at least 12 years and I have not had any sign of them.

• Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life November 11, 2011 at 10:58 am #

Good to know! It hasn’t happened since so I was thinking it had to do with the fleece jacket I wore into the gym. I’ll have to keep on the lookout for if it happens again.