Workout of the Week- Two Day Strength Workout

21 Nov

Since I didn’t get around to posting a workout of the week this past week, I wanted to give you guys a two day back to back (or with rest in between) workout.  These two workouts will hit all your muscles on opposing days leaving your muscles and body stronger!

Repeat each circuit 2-3 times (depending on the amount of time you have) and make sure to include cardio bursts before starting each new circuit (2-3 minutes).

*Like always, please consult with your doctor before starting a new exercise program and get the thumbs up from them before trying out any new exercise.*

If you are unsure of any of these exercises, try looking them up online or ask me for more details.

Day One- Hamstrings, Back, Biceps and Core

Circuit #1

• Straight Leg Deadlifts
  • Seated Leg Curl
  • Cable Kickbacks
  • Hamstring Ball Curls / Bridge (your pick)
  • Plank

• Plié Squats
  • Step Ups / Stand Ups
  • One Leg Lunge / Stationary Lunge
  • Leg Extension

Circuit #2

• Chest Press
  • Pec Fly on Cables / Bench (your choice)
  • Push Ups

Circuit #

• Shoulder Press
  • Lateral & Frontal Raise Move
  • Rear Delt Flys
  • Ceiling Punches

Circuit #4

• Triceps Kickbacks
  • Triceps One Arm Extension
  • Triceps Overhead Pull
  • Dips
  • Triceps Pull Downs

Cardio Bursts

*Remember to do at least a five minute warm up before starting your circuits to help warm the muscles and prevent injury.*

*Make sure you pick weights that challenge your muscles for the number of reps you are going to do.  Make those muscles burn and that is when you’ll see the greatest results!  Those who push past the muscle burning pain see results a lot quicker than those who don’t!  Make your workouts count!*

I’ll be back later on to show you guys my new treats I discovered over and weekend along with a short weekend recap and a look back at my goals from last week!

Happy turkey week!

Questions:

• How many days a week do you strength train?
  • Would you like to strength train more?

20 Responses to “Workout of the Week- Two Day Strength Workout”

1. Lisa @ Healthy Diaries November 21, 2011 at 9:25 am #

These workouts look great! I think I might give them a try for my Wednesday and Friday strength training days this week!

2. Jen@foodfamilyfitness November 21, 2011 at 10:45 am #

This looks great!!! I think I’ll give it a try tomorrow, thanks 🙂
    Go big or go home is my motto when it comes to weights!!!

3. Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather November 21, 2011 at 12:03 pm #

Love both of these! Usually strength train 2-3 times a week. Most of it is teaching though… Body pump and team teaching pump it… Still a great workout for me!

• Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life November 22, 2011 at 10:55 am #

It is definitely still a great workout! Plus you are getting paid while you are teaching others and getting in your own workouts! Bonus! 🙂

4. Maren November 21, 2011 at 2:27 pm #

I’m really impressed at how great your doing with your workouts. I’m not even pregnant and I can’t seem to get myself to the gym. You are some major inspiration. 😀

5. Amy November 21, 2011 at 4:43 pm #

i may have to try these.
    I stregth train 4 days a week 2 days upper and 2 days lower. I usually split it up and Monday do glutes and hams, Tuesdays shoulders, chest, tris, then Thursday back and bi’s, Friday Quads. I try to do abs all 4 days but I hate abs personally. I love stregth training though. Its gived\n me the best results.

• Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life November 22, 2011 at 10:54 am #

A lot of people focus mostly on cardio, but once they start lifting weights, they can see how much their bodies change in a good way. Let me know if you try these out and what you think!

6. Hollie @ Lolzthatswim(andRun) November 21, 2011 at 6:41 pm #

I am in need of a new circuit to start training! This looks like so much fun!

7. Marissa November 22, 2011 at 7:12 am #

great workouts! I totally wish I could strength train MUCH more. Without a gym membership and two little ones at home, the gym has taken the back seat and I focus on cardio and strength training with what I can do at home 🙂

• Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life November 22, 2011 at 10:51 am #

Even though you don’t have access to a gym, luckily there is still plenty you can do at home as far as strength training goes!

8. Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers November 22, 2011 at 7:22 am #

Ceiling punches sound kinda fun. 🙂 I strength train about 4 days per week. I wish I had more time to do longer routines, but this whole job thing gets in the way.

9. Allie @ Healthy Balance, Healthy Life November 29, 2011 at 9:45 pm #

Love these! I definitely want to strength train more but I’m not very creative (or motivated) regarding learning new exercises and I’m not educated enough about strength training to know how to compensate for my slight sway back (lordosis of the spine). I have a personal trainer that I see once a week and she is great because she creates workouts specifically suited to my body and its needs, corrects me on form (ALL THE TIME. It’s always my hips or my back that do funky things), and then creates “homework” for me to do the rest of the week. She’s awesome!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Healthy Diaries » Surprise, Surprise! - November 29, 2011

[…] this morning focusing on Hamstrings, Back, Biceps and Core. I got the work out from Kjirsten @ Balanced Healthy Life. She’s around 30 weeks pregnant and still keeping up with her exercises. Such a great role […]