What is your perfect workout length + Monday Recap

13 Dec

Good morning!

I’m so happy Monday is over and it is now Tuesday!  I’m not a fan of Mondays, are you?

Here is a look at my eats from yesterday (Monday):

• Breakfast:  Coffee with creamer, Ezekiel English muffin with egg and cheese
  • AM Snack:  Apple and chocolate
  • Lunch:  Green smoothie (spinach, banana, unsweetened vanilla almond milk and ice)
  • PM Snack-  Whey protein shake mixed with water and more chocolate  Confused smile

Dinner

IMG_0309

I ate a little too much chocolate yesterday and hope to curb that tomorrow.  Especially, since I don’t want to eat it all before company comes at the end of next week.  I’m a sucker for dark chocolate and peanut m&m’s.  Especially during the holidays.

Workout from yesterday was a rest day.  We typically take Monday’s as a rest day and sleep in .  It helps with the Monday blues.  I’m all for getting in as much exercise these next few weeks with all the extras I’ll be consuming (like chocolate).  I would love to be able to sneak in a little extra cardio at home this week, but that might just be some wishful thinking!

___________________________________________________________

What is your perfect workout length?

Do you like quick short 20 minute workouts, longer 90 minute yoga sessions, or a somewhat standard 45 or 60 minute workout?

Every morning during the week when we go to the gym, Keith and I have an understanding that our workouts will be 45 minutes long.  That way I can get in a good cardio session or manage to squeeze in weights with some cardio.  Keith lifts different muscle groups each day and is on a five day rotation so unless he is moving really slowly, he has no problem getting in his workout in 45 minutes.

Before our wedding, we spent at least an hour in the gym 6-7 days a week.  We were hardcore about getting in our workouts and making them as good as possible.  Our hard work paid off and we were both feeling fantastic on our wedding day.  During the summer months, we are also more apt to spend an hour in the gym each morning and also on the weekends throughout the year when we aren’t in a hurry to get home and get ready for work.  Also, I love hour workouts when we have an event coming up like a beach vacation.  The extra time in the gym really doesn’t take much (just getting up even earlier) and it makes me feel extra good at whatever we have coming up.

With yoga, excluding prenatal yoga, I love a good 90 minute hot session.  For some reason spending less time isn’t enough for me.  I love the full hour and a half where my muscles warm up and get limber.  I’m a fan of Bikram yoga and their practice is based on a 90 minute model.  Now, on the other hand, prenatal yoga is different.  If I could just do 15 minutes per practice I would be so happy, but I make myself do the 30-45 minute practices to really stretch my hips out.  My stomach has really been getting in the way lately and I’ve started slacking a little bit on my practice.

In my perfect world, I would workout six days a week, Monday – Saturday with a few longer workouts so I could squeeze in both cardio (45 minutes) and weights.  I would also train intervals at a super high intensity for a few days a week, and in addition go to Bikram yoga 3 days a week and heck, why not, I’d go to Pilates twice a week (100s anyone?).  I’d also walk the dog 2-3 miles each night as well (why not throw that in there too)?  Notice I described this as in my perfect world.  I don’t have the time to do this in my everyday life and use videos to get in all my yoga and Pilates that I do these days.  If I had no life and all the time in the world this situation would be ideal but definitely isn’t realistic.  I’ve always been an active person and feel my best when I’m moving throughout the day.  In this perfect world, I’d spend the rest of my days whipping up tasty and healthy eats in my kitchen!  Smile with tongue out

So, my question for you is what is your ideal time length for a workout?  There is no right or wrong answer here.  I would say my ideal is the 45 minute workout.  It is long enough for me to get in a great workout, but short enough to be able to convince myself to get into the gym for a quick 45 on the days I rather not go.  Plus I can do steady state cardio in 45 minutes, intervals plus strength train a muscle group or get a  good half/full body strength workout in as well.  There is so much I can do in 45 minutes, my options are always endless.

Well, I’m off to train some clients, lots to do before the furniture delivery company arrive with Cameryn’s stuff!  Yay!  I can’t wait to see it all set up in her room!

I hope it looks as good as it did in the pictures online!  Super cute, no?  Now I just need her bedding to arrive!

Questions:

• What is your ideal time length for a workout?
  • If you lived in the perfect world, what would your weekly workout schedule look like?
  • Are you a fan of Pilates?  What is your favorite move?
  • Anyone else indulging in chocolate this holiday season?

17 Responses to “What is your perfect workout length + Monday Recap”

1. Claire @ Live & Love to Eat December 13, 2011 at 9:17 am #

What a beautiful crib!

2. Erica December 13, 2011 at 10:14 am #

For classes, I like them to be an hour. When I’m doing my own thing at the gym- 45 minutes! Your crib is super cute. No one ever told me the baby wouldn’t sleep in the crib for a while….Kaylin sleeps in the pack n play in our room right now. I am going to FINALLY be transitioning her to the crib hopefully later this week.

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life December 13, 2011 at 10:36 am #

I had to drag Cameryn’s co-sleeper into our bedroom this morning to make room for her furniture. I’m thinking about having Cameryn sleep in our room until about May, when she will be 3 months and then trying to transition her to her own crib. I know it will be hard, but totally worth it in the end. I’m going to love having her so close to us her she is first born though!

3. Lisa@Healthy Diaries December 13, 2011 at 10:20 am #

Love the crib style so much! So sleek and pretty looking!

I usually do to strength training workouts a week, each an hour long and 3 cardio session that are about 50-55 minutes long!

4. Shanna, like Banana December 13, 2011 at 10:37 am #

The crib is gorgeous and isn’t like anything I’ve seen. It will look perfect in Miss C’s room 🙂

My ideal workout is about 45 as well because I get way to antsy to do other stuff if I go much longer. My only exceptions are a 60 min Spin class (with some abs and treadmill before) and of course 90 min Bikram.

Now that I’m 9+ months preggers, I go for 30-40 and a 1.5-2mi walk with the dog. That’s all I can handle!

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life December 13, 2011 at 3:24 pm #

It is a sleigh crib. I think it is fab! I’ve always wanted a big sleigh bed for our master bedroom, so when I saw this, I knew I had to have it!

I think 30-40 minutes is awesome for being 9+ months pregnant! I struggle with walking becuase of pain I get on my ligaments and also since it causes me to get Branxton hicks like crazy! I do it though since I know it is so good for the baby! I also make my husband and dog walk slowly when I tag along on walks with them! : )

5. Amy December 13, 2011 at 2:35 pm #

Beautiful crib.
    My ideal workout is 1 hour. About 10-15 minute warm up on treadmill or elliptical followed by 45 minutes of stregth training.

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life December 13, 2011 at 3:24 pm #

When I was lifting heavy with my husband last winter, we would do 10-20 minutes of cardio followed by about 40 minutes of heavy weights for a specific muscle group. I really loved doing that, it makes the time go by so quickly and is almost the same as what you do!

6. allieksmith December 13, 2011 at 4:12 pm #

It was interesting to learn about your workout preferences! Last year, for swim team, I had to swim for 2 hours and we lifted/ran for 30 minutes. It was tough. So now I like to do about an hour of working out. 🙂

7. Shayla @ The Good Life December 13, 2011 at 4:25 pm #

Awwww I love love that nursery!! Absolutely gorgeous, love the colors, love the stripe and polka dot combo, and love that sleigh crib – I so cannot wait to see the final product!! 😉

I am a definite 60 minute girl – that way on my low intensity days I can do an hour of easy walk/elliptical sesh, or 30 min. HIIT and 30 min. weights, and I love my 60 min. spin classes. But as you know, now that I’m trying to get my cycles back and TTC’ing, I’ve been doing only 30 min. max of any activity – it’s hard and I sometimes feel like it’s not enough but I’m starting to get used to it. And I too always used to be (especially in the summer) a 6-7 day a week girl – now because of the aforementioned, it’s only 3-4 days a week 🙂

I also absolutely love Bikram Yoga and I always feel like those 90 min. fly by – it’s been a year since I’ve gone and I’ve been really itching to go again – just wish all the Bikram studios around us weren’t so darn expensive!

8. Marissa December 14, 2011 at 7:24 am #

GORGEOUS crib! Love it!

I love 45min-1 hour workouts and oh my gosh, when my hubby and I first met and were dating in college, I’d hit the gym for at least 2 hours, shower and then go back to the gym for work! Ha! Ah, how things change with a husband and two boys! But they change for the better…couldn’t imagine life any other way! SO happy you’ll be a Mother soon, it’s the greatest gift in the world!

9. La. December 14, 2011 at 2:28 pm #

That is a beautiful crib! Love it! Gooner lasted about 3 hours in our room, ahhhhhhh! I was SO EXHAUSTED and she made so many sounds! I thinks most mothers want their babies RIGHT there. On the other note my perfect workout is an hour and fifteen. BUT, I put myself into pre. term labor last week from working out too hard. The midwife told me to CALM DOWN! I’m excited to meet my little one and feeling “normal.”

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life December 16, 2011 at 7:40 am #

Thanks!

Oh no, I can’t believe you put yourself into preterm labor! Luckily your little one didn’t come this early! Better to keep things slowed down until the baby is here! I’ve definitely slowed my workouts down a lot and it is all for a good little cause! 🙂

10. sweetlyvegan December 14, 2011 at 7:30 pm #

Gorgeous crib!!! Her room is going to be perfect!! How exciting 🙂
    My ideal workout time is about an hour. 30-45 minutes of cardio depending on how I am feeling that day.. and of course weights, resistance training, and some yoga incorporated in-between all of that.
    I love your perfect world workouts! You are very dedicated! 🙂
    In my perfect world – I would go to some variation of heated yoga everyday. I would do yoga sculpt every other day, along with walk the dogs for 2-3 miles.
    On the alternate days I would either take the Hot Power Fusion or the 90 Minute Hot Yoga class. These days I would also go to our gym and do your interval workout on the treadmill to get some cardio.
    I ❤ pilates- don't know the names of the moves- as I just do pilates at home off netflix! Cause the classes are so expensive – I def plan on taking the classes with a teacher someday.
    I've been craving chocolate too this week. I bought a bag of vegan white chocolate chunks from whole foods and have been pouring a handful out of the bag like twice a day. oops. but they are so good. I want some right now…..

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life December 16, 2011 at 7:34 am #

Thanks, we are in love with her room so far! : )
      Pilates classes are so expensive! We don’t have any studios around where we live so I just use DVDs as well. I think I still get great benefits from them!
      I think I might need to go to our organic grocery today and take a stroll down their baking seciton and see if I can find any goodies! I’m inspired to make your chocolate sauce for the banana soft serve! Yum!