Back to the Old Routine

3 Jan

Happy Tuesday!

How are you all coming along with your new year’s resolutions?  I’m still in check with mine!

Yesterday was the first Monday in two weeks where it was the start to a regular work week.  It felt so nice to be back on my normal routine.  Don’t get me wrong, I really enjoyed Christmas and  last week where we were in-between holidays, but I can only be off my routine for a few days before I just don’t feel like myself.  I crave routine and schedule in my life so not working out  as much as I normally do, staying up later than usual, not making my three yoga sessions a week and eating more sugar than I should really threw me for a loop.

Luckily that is all in the past and I’m already on my way to feeling like my old self again!

____________________________________________________________

Eats

Yesterday’s eats were pretty typical of a Monday.  We planned on having salad with chicken breast for dinner but when I went to run errands yesterday I realized some places were closed so instead of running errands, I put everything off until today.

• Breakfast-  Oatmeal with a small splash of maple syrup, almond milk, brown sugar (just a pinch), chopped dried figs and loads of cinnamon.  Along with coffee and creamer (I’m going to be sad when I run out of creamer, then it’s just black coffee for me).
  • AM Snack-  Apple and Clif Mojo bar
  • Lunch-  Greek yogurt with honey, chia seeds and almond butter
  • PM Snack-  Whey protein shake mixed with water, also a few chips and Greek yogurt dip of Keith’s plate
  • Dinner-  Whole wheat pasta with chicken sausage, onion, spinach, mushroom, green bell pepper and pepper jack cheese.  Topped with loads of crushed red peppers.  <—Since I didn’t make it to the grocery store I tried using up all our vegetables in our fridge before they went bad.

Looking back at my food from yesterday, I feel like I ate a lot.  Right now in pregnancy, I’m not able to eat a lot at one time.  I have to keep my portions super small or I get seriously uncomfortable.  I’ve learned my lesson more than once during the holidays.  I think the baby is squishing my stomach and it isn’t a feeling I like.  If I do eat a regular meal I have to lay down and I still am not able to get comfortable.

I also made a huge pitcher of cranberry water yesterday for the first time in a while.  I used to always have this made in my fridge and don’t know why I stopped.  While I was cleaning out the fridge of all our holiday food, I found a bottle of pure cranberry juice (I like Knudsen brand) in the back and knew I needed to make a batch of juice.  It tasted even better then I remembered!  I guess anything I drink that isn’t water tastes heavenly to me right now!

Breakfast

IMG_0538

Lunch (recycled picture)

IMG_0122

My obsession returns

IMG_0539

Dinner- I ate about half and then Keith needed to help finish it off

IMG_0540

___________________________________________________________________________

Workout

Monday is our rest day from the gym.  I didn’t take the dog for a walk or do prenatal yoga.

For those of you who are new readers, here is my weekly workout plan during my third trimester of pregnancy:

Gym Workouts– 5 days a week

• Day 1:  Cardio 45+ minutes
  • Day 2:  Upper body strength
  • Day 3:  Cardio 45+ minutes
  • Day 4:  Lower body strength
  • Day 5:  Cardio 45+ minutes

Yoga-  at least 3 prenatal sessions a week

Dog Walks-  at least 5 dog walks a week.  Dog walks vary in length but are a very minimum of 1 mile

I also am trying to do my Hypnobirthing cd (meditation) 5 times a week as well to prepare my mind and body for labor.  It isn’t really a workout, but it is a meditation and I consider it exercise for my mind!  Smile

_____________________________________________________________________________

Goals for the Week

This week I really want to finish the nursery as far as décor goes.  We are so close and it is going to feel so fabulous when it is all set up.

Here is what we still need to do:

• Buy and hang curtains
  • Buy and install two book shelves
  • Buy a small circular table to go next to the glider.  I didn’t even think of getting a table until I started sitting in the chair and hanging our in Baby C’s room.  I would bring in a water or have a book and there was no place to set anything.  I figured if I plan on nursing and pumping, I definitely need a table unless I can fit everything in my lap!

Another  goal is to start buying the remaining items we still need before the baby arrives.  We created a Target registry and I’m waiting to get the 10% off completion coupon in the mail before ordering items.  I hope it comes soon, because I’m getting really anxious!  I all about saving money on baby items if we can!  Smile

And lastly, I want to start putting my hospital bag together.  I have a handful of items I need to get and then I just need to make a condensed list of what I’ll pack from home before I head to the hospital.  I hope I don’t over pack, which I’m known to do.  I’ll be the pregnant woman in the birthing center carrying five suitcases in with me!

_____________________________________________________________________________

That is it for me!  This post is getting pretty wordy so I don’t want to bore you!  Also since I just got back form the gym, I’m starving and off to make up another batch of oatmeal for this morning!

Make it a great Tuesday!!!

Remember: You’re capable of doing anything you want and being anyone you want to be!  Don’t let anything or anyone stand in your way!

Questions:

• Do you have favorite new recipe to share?  Please post links!  I’m really looking for healthy vegetable heavy easy dinner options!
  • What does your weekly workout routine look like?
  • For the Mom’s out there, what baby items did you buy and not use?
  • On the other end, what did you buy and use all the time?

20 Responses to “Back to the Old Routine”

1. loftyappetite January 3, 2012 at 8:32 am #

whoa pretty pictures!! someone got a new camera 😉

2. Corrie Anne January 3, 2012 at 9:11 am #

I’m getting back to my work week today. It’s rough. But it’s only 4 days, I’ll survive. Sorry, I have no experience in the baby area, but I really love reading about how you still workout and are motivated throughout your pregnancy.The cranberry water sounds awesome. I’m going to have to look that up.

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life January 3, 2012 at 10:20 am #

Cranberry water is awesome. It helps detoxify the body and get rid of impurities! Plus helps the body get rid of fat! So a win win, but you need to buy the completely natural unsweetened kind. It is pretty tart, but if you mix it with water it doesn’t taste as tart!

3. La. January 3, 2012 at 10:34 am #

We are getting SO CLOSE! I had so many contractions at the gym yesterday I almost couldn’t work out. Ahhhhhhh! So much to do before the little one arrives. I’m assuming little one will come AFTER her due date BUT you never know and I don’t want to be caught unprepared! So exciting! And I’m with you, I can’t eat too much which can be annoying when I feel super hungry!

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life January 3, 2012 at 2:28 pm #

Yay for being almost done with pregnancy!!! 🙂

I’m sorry you are having such bad contractions while working out. I think I was having Braxton hicks for a while when working out, but lately I haven’t had any. I feel like we have so much to do too. Both my mom and sister had first borns 2-6 weeks early so I have no clue when Baby C will be born. I wouldn’t mind her coming anytime after I hit wek 37!

4. Maren January 3, 2012 at 11:14 am #

I think a table is a brilliant idea. I hope you find a cute one to go with everything else in her room.

5. Jen@foodfamilyfitness January 3, 2012 at 12:28 pm #

Two of my kids went back to school today, it’s been nice getting back on our routine and schedule, but I’m sure they will be cranky bears when they get home!!!

I couldn’t live without the baby swing!! All 3 of my kids LOVED it and it really helped that I could put them in the swing and do laundry, dishes, pee…whatever 😉

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life January 3, 2012 at 2:26 pm #

Good to know you used your baby swing so much! We ordered one this past weekend. I was thinking it will be good to put her in while I’m getting work done form home. It is also up off the ground so the dog can’t get to her!

6. Kristen January 3, 2012 at 1:24 pm #

I’m trying to get into a good workout routine. Right now I am doing pool workouts 4 days a week, but I am planning on also adding a spinning class and one yoga class as well. I am excited about getting back in shape after taking an extended break!

7. marissa January 3, 2012 at 2:14 pm #

love your workouts and weekly goals this week! I never thought to add dried figs to my oatmeal but sounds to.die.for yummy! Can’t wait to try…

8. Laury January 3, 2012 at 8:34 pm #

I am so excited for you…I’ve been meaning to catch up for a baby update! You’re looking great and not “huge” at all! You are tiny…all belly!!!

i remember this point in my pregnancy when I had to eat tiny meals all the time. ALL I did was eat I felt!!! Constantly!!

If you plan to BF the boppy pillow is great. Def bring it to the hospital with you! Some snacks and reading material for family members (I brought so much and never read a thing).

Other than that I used NOTHING in my hospital bag. Not to freak you out but there will be blood. Lots of it, so cute PJ’s…they are pointless. Bring a big pair of dark baggy sweats (I ended up being more swollen after giving birth, but everyone’s different) and a loose nursing top if you want to feel like a human. My favorite thing was the robe they gave me in the hospital though. I was in bed most of the time but slippers are good for the cold floor. They give you EVERYTHING. I over packed, like I always do, and used nothing. Oh and a coming home outfit…again…dark big loose pants for comfort and maybe a zippy h oodie. I gave birth beginning of May it was hot here….

Best of luck to you! I can’t wait to “meet” your little one 🙂

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life January 5, 2012 at 7:50 am #

Thanks for all the advice! I’m sure I’ll still over pack, but it is nice to know the hospital provides a lot for you.

I’m not looking forward to lots of blood, but I guess it is part of hte process and I’ll deal!

9. Jennifer January 4, 2012 at 12:30 am #

Omg ur dinner looks to die for!! I want! Lol. I was wondering too how do u like clif bars compared to larabars?
    You are getting sooo close now i feel like the time is flying by! Getting ur hospital bag all ready!! Crazy! Good questions too I’m also curious about what to bring to the hospital and also what moms haven’t used and did use! I have found some new mom blogs on babble and they have lots of topics and info on questions like this! I could read and read blogs for hours on mommy info!

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life January 5, 2012 at 7:48 am #

Noodles and vegetables are one of my favorite meals right now. So tasty! Kind of like your vegan lasagna you posted, that looks so easy to make and delish!

10. Julie January 4, 2012 at 1:17 am #

Mondays: kickboxing
    Tuesdays: circuit training/rest/run
    Wednesdays: yoga
    Thursdays: strength (BodyPump)
    Fridays: circuit training
    Saturdays: boot camp
    Sundays: BodyPump

I always warm up with biking or elliptical for 20 minutes beforehand. I need to incorporate more yoga.