Week 34 Pregnancy Journal-

4 Jan

I’m so happy to be at week 35!  This is my last week before I’m in the upper 30s!  Whoop!  I need to play little mind games like this to help make the last month more bearable!  Smile

Right now I officially have 35 days to go.  I’m still hoping she comes a tad early, maybe during week 38 would be nice.  If that is the case I could only have around 20 days to go!  <—Another mind game I like playing to get through these last weeks!  As long as she doesn’t come before week 37, I’ll be a happy Mom!  Since I plan on breastfeeding I want to make sure she is developed enough to be able to latch.  Anyways, before I get too excited about being in my 35th week, here is a recap of week 34.

How Big is Baby?

Baby, fetus at 34 weeks - BabyCenter

According to TheBump.com (same info for weeks 33-36)

Baby’s senses are continuing to improve — when light peeks in through your (extremely) stretched belly, those tiny eyelids and irises blink and dilate. And, baby can now recognize and react to simple songs… time to start practicing your lullabies! Growth (at least inside your womb) is starting to slow, and you may notice baby descend into your pelvis at the end of this month.

According to BabyCenter.com,

Your baby now weighs about 4 3/4 pounds (like your average cantaloupe) and is almost 18 inches long. Her fat layers — which will help regulate her body temperature once she’s born — are filling her out, making her rounder. Her skin is also smoother than ever. Her central nervous system is maturing and her lungs are continuing to mature as well. If you’ve been nervous about preterm labor, you’ll be happy to know that babies born between 34 and 37 weeks who have no other health problems generally do fine. They may need a short stay in the neonatal nursery and may have a few short-term health issues, but in the long run, they usually do as well as full-term babies.

According to BabiesOnline.com,

Your baby can – and does – respond just as a newborn would by opening his eyes while awake and closing them while sleeping. Your baby can also grasp firmly and his little fingernails may need to be trimmed shortly after birth. This month also offers more time for your baby to build antibodies and for his skin to continue to thicken. Your baby is approximately 18 inches long and weighs about 4.5 pounds. It’s wonderful to know that if your baby was born now, it has a 95 percent chance of full and normal survival with medical intervention.

How I’m Feeling Physically

One word sums up week 34,  uncomfortable.  Almost everyday of week 34 I haven’t felt amazing.  I have been getting super intense back pain and nothing I do helps get rid of the pain.  I pulled out the trusty old heating pad last night and laid on it for about 30 minutes before going to bed.  I must admit that did help a bit.  Sitting, standing, walking, moving, laying down usually all have no impact on it.  Like I mentioned in a previous post, I Googled ‘back labor’ just to make sure that isn’t what I was experiencing.

I’m still getting pains that run down my stomach daily now.  They do hurt and I have no clue what they are.  I have a doctor’s appointment on Friday so I’m going to ask about them.  It almost feels like the baby is hitting some nerve in my stomach, but I really have no idea.

Sleep is getting harder and harder to come by.  I feel like once I finally fall asleep, I awake and need to use the bathroom.  Once back in bed it takes me ages to finally get comfortable again.  I actually had my first pregnancy meltdown on Sunday.  Keith and I were in the car and everything was fine when all of a sudden I started crying.  I was so exhausted from not sleeping, felt like a blimp and just wanted Baby C’s due date to be here.  It was so ridiculous both Keith and I started laughing.  So here I am crying and laughing at the same time.  Damn pregnancy hormones…

I have also noticed a huge decrease in my energy.  I have been taking it a lot slower and not letting myself get too many things done in a day so I’m not totally exhausting myself.  I’m trying to divide up my chores and errands so I have only a few to do each day.

How I’m Feeling Emotionally

Emotionally I am ready.  I just want Baby C to be here so bad.  I’m really hoping this last month goes by quickly.  My mom arrives in about a month so not only am I looking forward to meeting our baby, but I’m also super excited to have her out here in Arizona.

I’m still not fully prepared for labor, and I need to make reading my hypnobirthing book a priority.  Every time I think about sitting down and reading it again, I always feel like I have so much time before she is here so I put it off.  Now that I’m only a month away from my due date I really need to get on that.  I also started my very short birth plan over the weekend.  Here are some of my requests:

• I never want to be asked if I want medication.  I’ll ask the staff if I decide I want some.
  • I want labor to progress on it’s own and don’t want to be induced.
  • I want the cord to stop pulsating before it is clamped and cut.
  • I want to have the baby placed on my chest immediately after she is born and possibly try to breastfeed her right away.
  • I want all tests done and cleaning her off to be done on my stomach (my doctor told me to request this even though the nurses hate it)
  • I want the baby to remain with either Keith or myself at all times.
  • Nothing shall be given to our baby, no vaccines, pacifiers, liquids and so on without our consent

Those are my main ones that I can think off the top of my head.  Keith and I have a pretty laid back go with the flow  attitude towards child birth, but I would like it to be as Zen, calm and peaceful as it can be.

Random Tidbits

• Total Weight Gained so Far:  23lbs
  • Total Workouts of the Week so Far:  2 gym and 1 dog walk
  • Foods I’m Craving:  Anything but sugar and lots of water
  • Days Until my Due Date:  35!  <—I can’t believe next week the number will be in the 20s!  So awesome!
  • Times I Cried in the Last Week:  Twice and I’m normally not even a crier!
  • Number of Kicks and Movements I Feel During the Day:  Too many to count.  I feel Baby C moving all day long!

Week 34 Belly Bump

IMG_0558IMG_0562IMG_0565

Week 4 versus Week 35

SAM_5367IMG_0566IMG_0522IMG_0523IMG_0516

26 Responses to “Week 34 Pregnancy Journal-”

1. Erica January 4, 2012 at 8:34 am #

I love that your belly button never popped out 🙂 Jealoussss haha. Whoop whoop to getting close. The way hospitals are now, you’re ALWAYS with your baby. Our baby really only left the room once and that was to get a bath and Josh went with her (as I was getting after care). You will know whats right for you when you’re in the situation for sure.

2. amy January 4, 2012 at 8:49 am #

Hang in there! Are your stomach pains more along the sides than down the front? If so, it could just be your round ligament stretching as Cameryn moves & settles further down in your pelvis. That’s pretty common, so don’t worry! 🙂 Also, the back pain could possibly be from her sitting in a posterior position, with her backbone against yours. I’ve delivered 2 posterior babies, and the so-called “back labor” wasn’t that much different/worse than my 3 anterior babies! Regular chiropractic adjustments helped me greatly with back pain in my last few months of pregnancy, too, if that’s an option for you. Good luck!

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life January 5, 2012 at 7:47 am #

They are in the middle of my stomach. They are almost like a zing-ing pain and come and go quickly. They are werid and hard to explain, I’m going to ask the doctor about it tomorrow! I know me and Cameryn were spine to spine at our 3d ultrasound, but that was over about a month ago so maybe she is still in that position.

3. Corrie Anne January 4, 2012 at 10:13 am #

I like your list of things you want throughout the birth process. Especially that you want the baby to be with you and Keith at all times. So perfect, but I bet you have to plan those things ahead of time!

4. Allie January 4, 2012 at 10:37 am #

Yay it is almost time! I think you will do great and you look great too 🙂

5. Shanna, like Banana January 4, 2012 at 11:31 am #

Oh girl I feel ya. The waiting was the worst…so hard. And so was getting up to pee in the middle of the night. The most I got up was 6 times!

As for your wish list, just remember to be flexible and not get too attached. I had no idea I’d need to be induced, but it seems more common than not and it wasn’t bad in the slightest! Sawyer was always always always with me or Zach or we had the option. That was so great. I think hospitals and L&D staff have come a long way and really want to do everything to make the experience incredible. You will love it!

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life January 5, 2012 at 7:44 am #

6 times! That is a lot! I think the most I’ve gone has been four times!

I’m more thinking of birth as a go with the flow, but in my perfect world, my list would describe how I want everything to go!

6. La. January 4, 2012 at 12:11 pm #

I don’t know if this will help, but I started taking magnesium (with the advice of my midwife) and that REALLY helped with the hip and back cramping. Maybe ask about that at your next visit? I understand about mind games! She could come next week or, in 4 more weeks as they will comfortably let me go one week over. With my daughter the epidural guy came to my room EVERY hour to see if I needed one and every time I declined he would give me this ANNOYING smile and tell me that, “I’d need him. Just wait.” I thought he was SO RUDE and he totally messed with my zen! I too had requested for no offering of pain medication…I’m hoping that having a midwife this time around will stop things like that from happening.

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life January 5, 2012 at 7:43 am #

I take magnesium already because I get a lot of headaches, especially while I was around 15 weeks. I will have to make myself very clear if someone comes around every hour and offers me meds! We are going to be in a new birthing center with 26 rooms, but they said only about 3 rooms are filled with moms-to-be on average, so I’m hoping they don’t forget our requests with so few patients!

7. Amy@ahealthyandhappyheart January 4, 2012 at 5:59 pm #

Love love love your belly bump! She will be here so so soon! I really like your birth plan…I still have a while to go but some of things you mentioned I never would have thought about! Thanks for sharing them 🙂

8. Hollie @ Lolzthatswim(andRun) January 4, 2012 at 7:53 pm #

I actually studied that taking magnesium is beneficial too! Just random thoughts from my prenatal care class (not that I’m an expert ha). Anyways-girl you are going to be such a gorgeous mother.

9. Alicia January 5, 2012 at 11:23 am #

You are sooo tiny girl! 🙂 Your belly is adorable! Great list, I haven’t really starting planning my birth plan. I guess I’m just worried that I’ll be determined for it to go a certain way and I’ll be totally upset if it doesn’t. I’m trying to plan to not have a plan. lol but your list has very good points that I didn’t even consider. I hear ya on the not sleeping part, :-/ no fun! You’re almost there, hang in there!! 🙂

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life January 6, 2012 at 7:15 am #

I’m like you as far as not wanting to plan the birth and then get disappointed if it doesn’t go according to plan. I’m hoping for an unmedicated birth, but am still keeping my options open. I’m just going to go with the flow and hope everything works out! 🙂

10. Tiff January 5, 2012 at 1:29 pm #

A cantaloupe! That sounds like it could get heavy. haha Thanks for the update.

11. Shayla @ The Good Life January 5, 2012 at 4:40 pm #

Love the baby bump!!! You’re so gorgeous and I can’t even imagine how uncomfortable it’s getting….I’m sure it’s definitely easier said than done but she’ll be here before you know it and you’ll have forgotten about all this pain 😉 I love your requests and those are pretty similar to mine too – especially putting the baby immediately on my chest and possibly breast feed as well…I’ve heard so many positives about that and I really hope all goes well when it’s my turn to make that happen 🙂 I also really want to try and not get an epidural since my mom went natural and would love to follow in her footsteps and really feel everything since I’ve heard it’s quite amazing to feel it and not be numb all over. I know I can’t get attached to those wishes but it’s what I’ll hope for!

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life January 6, 2012 at 7:18 am #

I’m with you on hoping I have a unmedicated birth. I would love to feel everything and then be able to move around without having to wait for an epidural to wear off. I think I’m more scared of feeling numb in half my body than actually feeling the pain of the baby coming out! My sister also had a natural birth and she said it wan’t bad until she had to push the head out.

12. runeatrepeat January 6, 2012 at 12:14 pm #

Your tummy is still so cute 🙂

13. Jolene Carlson January 12, 2012 at 9:03 pm #

You are such a cute mommy to be. As expected. Sooo exciting!!