Bed Rest

6 Jan

CAMERYN_14

So today I had my week 35 pregnancy check up.  All was going well until I asked about the position of the baby.  As she felt my stomach, she said she wanted to check to see if I was dilated this week instead of waiting until week 36 to start checking.

To our surprise, she said I was over 2 cm dilated already.  She put me on a strict bed rest and scheduled my next appointment for this upcoming Friday.  I couldn’t believe I was dilated and asked if it was from anything I was or wasn’t doing and she told me no.  The baby will come when she wants to and all I can do now is be put on a strict bed rest to try and get her to stay in until at least next Wednesday, when I start my 36th week.

Where we live (northern Arizona), they wont deliver babies until they are at least 36 weeks, so to avoid taking a helicopter to Phoenix I’m not even allowed to fold Baby C’s laundry.  She said that would be doing too much.

I still am in shock!  I can’t believe I can no longer, workout, do yoga, walk the dog, run errands, do laundry, clean the house, cook meals not to mention work and train my clients.  By the way if any of my clients are reading this, I’ll call you soon about your upcoming appointments.

I feel completely unprepared right now for the baby to arrive.  We still have items we need to buy before her arrival, the big one being an extra car seat base and a breast pump and I still need time to mentally prepare myself for labor.

Obviously I’m willing to do anything to keep Cameryn cooking for as long as she can, but I will admit being stuck in bed is going to be hard for me.  I normally have so many things going on every day and am constantly running around.  It is going to be hard not moving since I’m so used to being so active.  But whatever I need to do, I will do.  I would feel so great about getting her to week 37, which is considered full term.

My only other appointment I need to do before complete bed rest starts is going to meet with a pediatrician today to get a feel on if she would be a good fit for Baby C.  I was going to call and cancel but figured I’d be sitting the whole time and wont be moving at all.  Once I’m home, I probably will start reading lots of books and watching too much trashy TV that my mind doesn’t need.

I’m praying and keeping my fingers crossed Baby C stays in her womb at least until this upcoming Wednesday!  No more spicy foods for this girl!

Questions:

• Moms- were any of your dilated early and if so how long after being 2+cm did you give birth?
  • Any suggestions for good books or movies while I’m on bed rest?
  • Any tips on what to do to keep the baby in as long as I can?

33 Responses to “Bed Rest”

1. Amanda Perry @ Sistas of Strength January 6, 2012 at 1:23 pm #

Ah…how crazy! I would have freaked out too because I was like you and did a million things even when I was preggo. You’ll be okay….just make lists for people to help you get whatever else you need before the baby arrives or do some online shopping. 🙂 Enjoy the trashy TV and time to do absolutely nothing and try not to worry. Praying she stays inside for at least another week!

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life January 6, 2012 at 1:28 pm #

Thanks! I get bored easily and always feel like I should be getting things done in my down time, so it is going to be strange doing nothing! But doctor’s orders come first!

2. Erica January 6, 2012 at 1:24 pm #

Oh girl! Hang in there! I know some women stay at 2 cm for weeks!!

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life January 6, 2012 at 1:26 pm #

I asked her about woman staying at 2cm for weeks and she said that is the case with some people, but she thinks I’ll be lucky if I don’t have the baby by the 16th of this month!

3. Shanna like Banana January 6, 2012 at 1:51 pm #

Oh my goodness! What unexpected news! I am sure this must be scary but it sounds like you have a plan of attack to keep lil C inside longer. And just think, no anxious waiting at week 40!

Stockpile your maganizes and find new shows on On Demand!

I am keeping my fingers crosses for making it to 37 weeks!

Hang in there!!! Hugs!

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life January 7, 2012 at 7:21 am #

I have about 200 magazines I’m behind on that I’m excited to start reading and I’ll probably watch more movies in the next week then I did all last year! 🙂

4. La. January 6, 2012 at 2:00 pm #

Oh wow! I can’t believe this! I hope she stays in a little longer for you! These last few weeks would make such a difference to latch on and breathing! I bet YOU have my January baby and I have YOUR February baby! How come I feel like you are getting the better end of the deal? 😉 Bed rest can’t be ANY fun! AND no fun in the bedroom, boo! I really hope everything goes well for you. You’ll just have to do LOTS of blogging about feelings to keep you occupied!

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life January 7, 2012 at 7:20 am #

Haha, I’m sure I’ll be blogging a lot more than usually since I wont have much else to do! I can finally get caught up on all my favorite blogs! 🙂

Besides her not being full term, my main other concern is that she wont be able to latch if she comes to early. Really every day she stays puts is so crucial to her overall development. I can’t believe how much development happens to babies on a daily!

We are both getting so close, I can’t believe it! And bed rest sucks. I was bored after only an hour and felt like my muscles were already wasting away from not moving, haha! This will definitely be a huge mental challenge for me to stay put and do doing nothing.

5. Ann Conrad January 6, 2012 at 2:43 pm #

KJ, I am so sorry to hear that you have to stay in bed for a little while. Think good thoughts and don’t panic. While you are laying down she is getting increased blood flow and becoming more mature and ready to meet the world. We are thinking of you and praying for your health and little Cameryn. Laloo Mamma C

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life January 7, 2012 at 7:17 am #

Thanks so much Ann! Keith and I weren’t expecting this news at all so it is still shocking to think about! I am taking the doctor’s orders very seriously and will be in bed until our next appointment, assuming she isn’t here by next Friday! I feel so unprepared, but luckily Keith said he will do anything at all. I feel so helpless that I can’t even do laundry, clean the house, run errands or really do much of anything! But whatever I need to do to make it to week 36 and then hopefully week 37 I am more than willing to do!

6. Jennifer January 6, 2012 at 3:00 pm #

Omg! that is big news!!! I hope she stays put too!! And looks like u will get her a little early like u wanted! good luck to you and Cameryn!!! Fingers crossed for you both!! xoxo

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life January 7, 2012 at 7:13 am #

It definitely looks like she will be here early, but I was thinking sometime during week 38 or week 39 once she was completely full term! 🙂

I hope you are having a great time in MN and I hope you have the best time ever tomorrow at your baby shower!!!

7. JessSutera January 6, 2012 at 3:55 pm #

Aw friend! Hang in there! Sending prayers your way!! xoxo

8. Amy@ahealthyandhappyheart January 6, 2012 at 4:41 pm #

Oh No! Thankfully you asked about the position of your baby and they decided to check when they did…praying for you and your husband that you get everything done..and praying for baby c to stay put for a little while longer!

9. Heather B January 6, 2012 at 5:39 pm #

I agree with the other commenter, make lists and have anyone who can help do those things for you. I actually delivered the day of 37 weeks and Luke had no problems latching and is still nursing at 15 months. As for the breast pump, it’s a good thing to have when you decide to go back to work but the best thing for you and baby C is to nurse as much as you can and let her get her milk directly from you instead of a bottle. I was put on bed rest too and it was terrible because like you said, I get bored so easily. I was told to lay on my left side as much as possible. I forget the reason though. Most efficient blood flow maybe? Did you ask about the pain youve been having?? Hang in there, SO close!!

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life January 7, 2012 at 7:10 am #

Poor Keith will have to do everything, but he has said numerous times that he is more than willing to do anything and everything that I need him too. I hope he doesn’t mind scrubbing the bathroom toilets! 🙂

The only reason I wanted the pump was incase she couldn’t latch when she arrived and I had to pump so I wouldn’t dry up. I don’t know much about breastfeeding but plan to become an expert at it in the next four days with all my down time!

I asked about the shooting pains and she didn’t seem concerned, she thought maybe the baby was on a nerve, but I think it has to do with the dilation.

• Heather B January 7, 2012 at 12:57 pm #

Good, I’m glad that pain was nothing more. Haha well even if Keith doesn’t like to scrub toilets, now will probably be the only time he won’t tell you about it! I know I told you before but if you need any advice or want to talk about nursing, I am more than happy to help if I can. My beat friend is a la leche league leader and helped me sooo much.

• Heather B January 7, 2012 at 12:57 pm #

Best* not beat

10. allieksmithe January 6, 2012 at 5:40 pm #

Wow! I hope Cameryn stays in your belly as long as needed! I’m sorry you have to be on bed rest.. I hope you can make the most of it by catching up on things and just relaxing 🙂

11. Shayla @ The Good Life January 6, 2012 at 6:27 pm #

Oh my goodness what surprising news!! Thank goodness you asked what position she was in or else she may have never noticed how dialated you were! Lots of thoughts and prayers are sent your way for Baby C to stay cooking in there for a couple more weeks! Get lots of trashy magazines and load up your DVR to make the time a lil more bearable 😉 xoxo

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life January 7, 2012 at 7:07 am #

Very surprising news! I’m all about watching tv and reading magazines and books, but something about not being able to do anything else is already driving me crazy!

12. Corrie Anne January 6, 2012 at 11:15 pm #

I’m sure this is driving you crazy when you’re used to such an actual lifestyle. You’re right – the baby will come when she’s ready. Maybe she’s just the super prepared type!

13. Emma January 7, 2012 at 6:11 am #

Have you read “Baby Wise?” I’m reading it right now and think it’s a big help! My mom was on bed rest with my brother and made blankets, clothes for him, Christmas ornaments, all sorts of crafts. We’ll all be thinking about you!

14. Alicia January 10, 2012 at 5:59 am #

Oh goodness! sorry to hear this girl. Unexpected and completely shocking I’m sure. Hang in there girlie. Can I ask if you had any signs that would make you think you could be dialted? Were you having any braxton hicks or anything? Praying that this bedrest goes smoothly for ya, I know how hard it must be for someone who is usually so active. Take it easy relax hun!

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life January 10, 2012 at 7:07 am #

I had braxton hicks a lot around weeks 25-28 and then I really haven’t had any since. I did notice I started to get this zinging pain down my stomach that would end in where I picture the baby’s head to be. It only lasts for a second or two at a time and they only come rarely, but I swear it has something to do with the dilation, although my doctor didn’t seem to think so. But the pain is so intense I literally have to bend over and stop moving for a minute. The doctor said it was probably baby pushing up against a nerve. So if that is the case, I had so warning what so ever. I think that is why bed rest has been so hard for me, it came out of nowhere as a complete shock. I still feel great and full of energy and my nesting urge has really kicked in even more lately and it is so hard not to do anything when you are feeling so fab!

15. Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather January 10, 2012 at 9:11 am #

That is so crazy that you’re on bed rest. Its just a shocker because you’re so active! I guess pregnancy brings on the unexpected. Hopefully your days go by quickly and week 37 is here in no time.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Week 35 Pregnancy Update- « - January 11, 2012

[…] I am so happy to be in my 36th week.  That means we avoided having to take a helicopter to Phoenix to deliver Baby C.  It is such a weight lifted off my shoulders and I’m going to try and relax a bit now and just hope the baby cooks for another week.  If you haven’t checked it out yet, check out this post on bed rest. […]

2. Week 35 Pregnancy Update « - January 11, 2012