My Birth Story: Cameryn Olivia

22 Jan

Before I share my story, here is a little background.  When I was in week 35 of my pregnancy, I was put on strict bed rest because I was already 2+ cm dilated and effaced.  I didn’t move for week and made it to my week 36 doctor’s appointment.  At that appointment my doctor said I was nearly 3 cm dilated and 70% effaced.  She gave us a 70% chance of not making it to our week 37 doctor’s appointment the following Friday.  She also predicted we would have the baby on Tuesday, which was in 4 days.  She took my off bed rest, but told me not to do anything strenuous and keep my activity levels light.  The doctor made it clear that she was only giving us information based off her experience but that there could still be a chance I had weeks left to go with my pregnancy. We were shooting to make it to week 37, but all agreed the later Cameryn came the better. We were keeping our fingers crossed we would make it to at least 38 weeks.

This is a birth story, if you don’t want to know TMI, I would suggest not reading it.  I didn’t write it too graphic but also didn’t leave anything out.

Tuesday January 17th, came and went with me noticing little to no change with my pregnancy.  I was feeling good, sleeping good and was just anxiously awaiting the day I would meet my little peanut.  I kept thinking is today going to be the day both the doctor and Keith, a while back had predicted.  I bummed around the house all day and nothing happened.  Keith got home form work and he watched The Bachelor with me (from Monday night) before we decided to get to bed around 9pm.

A couple hours later I woke up needing to use the bathroom.  I didn’t notice any cramping but did notice I felt like I was leaking a bit.  I decided it was just the baby on my bladder and headed back to bed.  Immediately once I laid down, I felt my stomach began to cramp. Was this is?  I didn’t want to get too excited so I laid in bed for about 15 minutes before deciding to use a contraction timer app on my phone and start timing the contractions. I woke Keith up and told him I thought I was having contractions.  He was super excited and immediately got up and started getting ready for the hospital.  Noticing my contractions were about 2 minutes and 30 seconds apart I decided to collect the rest of my items I still needed to pack for my bag.  With in about 15 minutes, the contractions were 1 minute and 20-30 apart and lasting for about 45 seconds.  It took me until about 12:45am to finish packing my bag in-between contractions.  For some reason I was thinking that I needed to wait for my contractions to be one minute apart before going to the hospital (I was getting the 411 rule confused) so we called and they said come right in and they would check me out.

The drive to the hospital was not fun.  I was almost constantly in pain and (TMI alert) had begun throwing up again (I was throwing up at home before we left for the hospital).

Once at the hospital they immediately got me into triage to be checked.  The nurse couldn’t believe it when she told me I was already 7-8 cm dilated and that there wasn’t time for any pain medication.  I had decided I wasn’t going to use any medication during labor, but I was also realistic and was keeping my options open if I needed.

I was soon being wheeled down to my hospital room when I was hooked up to monitors and IVs.  I hated the two monitors strapped to my stomach.  I asked about 5 times for them to be removed but of course they couldn’t be.  I was also told once I got into my room that I was in fact 7 cm dilated and if I wanted any medication I would have to speak up immediately.  Although I really wanted meds to ease the pain, I knew I was set on having an unmediated birth and also knew by the time I got anything into my system the baby would probably be here before I felt relief since everything was moving so fast.  I stuck with my plan and skipped the medicine.  About a minute later she check me and I was already at 8 cm dilated, then about 15 minutes later, I was at 9 cm dilated.  Waiting to change from 9 cm to 10 cm was the worst because I was in so much pain and the nurse kept trying to move my cervix herself up and over the baby’s head, the little bit that was keeping me from changing from 9 cm dilated to 10 cm dilated.  TIM-  the nurses are not afraid to really check around your cervix and the baby’s head.  I couldn’t believe how painful it was getting my cervix checked especially when my main nurse was trying to get Cameryn’s head fully outside of it.  Ouch!

While I was in pain, I just kept focusing on the fact that Baby Cameryn, the little person growing inside me for the past 9 months was about to come into this world.  Right there is some pretty good motivation to stay strong and focused on the goal of having a healthy baby.

Once I was at 10 cm dilated, the nurse had me try and push a few times.  Each time counting to ten and pushing as hard as I could.  I rarely made it to 10 seconds but did the best I could.  She kept instructing me to hold my legs up and tuck my chin to my chest, but that information went in one ear and out the other.  I was just focusing on pushing when I felt the sensation to push and was to exhausted at that point to be holding myself up.  I never knew how overwhelming the sensation to push would be.  It would literally take over my body and I just had to push.  After about 20 minutes of being 10 cm dilated, they called in the doctor.  At this point it was probably 30 minutes until the baby would be born.  Luckily my doctor was still on duty at the birthing center for another 3 hours so I knew this baby was in good hands.  I probably had about 6 contractions (give or take, at this point birth was a blur to me) before Cameryn was born.  I was exhausted, in pain and sweating so bad, which was weird because up until that point I was so cold I was shaking uncontrollably (which is normal, it is due to hormones).  The doctor asked if I wanted to use the vacuum and have this baby during my next contraction.  I wasn’t sure I wanted to use it and asked Keith what he thought.  All of a sudden my next contraction came and the doctor asked again if I wanted to get the baby out on my next push.  Without thinking about it anymore I said yes ( I do think I could have done it without the suction though).  She put the suction (a little plastic device) on the baby’s head so when I wasn’t pushing or the contraction was over Cameryn wasn’t sucked back up into the birthing canal (which had been happening since I started pushing).  During my two contractions with the vacuum, I’ve never felt so much pain in my life.  TIM-  it was the worst burning sensation and pain all wrapped up into one.  They said I was experiencing the ring of fire and that on my next push the baby would be here.  I remember the room turning into a room of cheerleaders as everyone was cheering me on.  I knew I had one more good push in me and in a minute I would be holding my precious baby girl.  Then, it was time to push and before I knew it Cameryn was out crying and on my chest.  I remember looking at Keith and he had tears of joy running down his face as he looked at her in disbelief.  We had done it.  Baby Cameryn was here.

I was so relieved but still in some pain as I was still having contractions.  I was in shock that I had just given birth to my first baby, who was perfect by the way.  The doctor had to leave immediately and run to another room where they needed help.  TMI- After about 20 minutes, she returned to deliver the placenta and stich me up (yuck).  She had cut me a little and then I torn just a bit more when the baby came out.  I think she said I only needed one stick but it seemed like more than that with how long it took her.

All the nurses laughed when about five minutes after Cameryn was born, I said all the pain was totally worth it and I’d do it all again in a heartbeat.  From the time I awoke and noticed I was having contractions to the time of delivery it was about 5 hours.  Cameryn was born at 4:17am on Wednesday.  I am still amazed at how quickly everything happened.  I kept thinking I went to bed after watching  The Bachelor  and here I am holding a baby and it wasn’t even morning yet.  So amazing.

Wednesday January 18th was truly the best day of my life and I am forever changed by the experience.  The nurses told me that the other nurses had gathered outside my door and thought I was on my third baby with how quickly I was progressing and how fast I had the baby.  They couldn’t believe it only took me 5 hours, only 3 of which were at the hospital, and that I came in already 7 cm dilated.  They were amazed I had lasted so long at home, even though we got to the hospital as quickly as we could.  Everyone was also so surprised I chose to have an unmediated birth and were so amazed at how well I dealt with the pain.  I must admit, I was pretty proud of myself as well.  Looking back, even though I had pain, I will probably have my future kids unmediated as well.  It is an experience I’ll never forget and I’m so grateful for the opportunity I had to deliver such a healthy and beautiful baby girl.

Cameryn Olivia Conrad

Right after Cameryn’s first bath and getting all cleaned up

1326918433854

• Born:  January 18th, 2012
  • Time:  4:17am
  • Weight:  6lbs
  • Length:  18 1/2 inches

Here are a few pictures from her first few days

IMG_0704

IMG_0710IMG_0721

IMG_0733IMG_0750IMG_0739

Cameryn Olivia is the love of our lives and we are so thankful we had such a positive birthing experience.  Both Keith and I were excited to get home with her but we both thought our experience at the birthing center far exceeded our expectations.  Everyone was so nice and helpful and I can’t express how impressed we were with the facility.

46 Responses to “My Birth Story: Cameryn Olivia”

1. JessSutera January 22, 2012 at 2:34 pm #

Wow girl, you are SO STRONG!! I cannot believe how you powered through that delivery like a champ, almost like an old pro, how amazing are you?? Congrats pretty mama, you and Keith have a gorgeous (and healthy) little girl to adore! I love it!

2. HollieisFueledByLOLZ January 22, 2012 at 3:30 pm #

Wow girl, I could not even imagine. I have been following you all the way through your journey and could only imagine how hard bed rest was for you. I’m glad you had such a successful and good birth and without meds-You go girl!

PS: Your girl is absolutely stunning!

3. Emily January 22, 2012 at 3:32 pm #

I can only pray I’m blessed for a quick birth like you! You’re so amazing!! She’s beautiful. Congrats:)

4. Shanna, like Banana January 22, 2012 at 4:27 pm #

I am so so happy you were able to have the birth you wanted! And such a quick and relatively easy one at that. What an incredible experience.

Cameryn is perfect and precious in every way. I adore all the little outfits you put her in.

Congrats and hugs to you and Keith 🙂

5. Erica January 22, 2012 at 4:56 pm #

You go girl!!! Amazing. So happy for you! She is beautiful

6. HeatherB January 22, 2012 at 6:13 pm #

Oh kjiersten, you are superwoman!! That’s an amazing birth story and I’m so happy it went by so quickly. I was in the hospital for 36 hours before I gave birth! I can’t wait to her more about your first few days with Cameryn. So so happy for you. Enjoy her!!

7. La. January 22, 2012 at 8:25 pm #

YAY, awesome! You are a ROCK STAR! SO super awesome that your body totally knew what to do! She is so beautiful! The pain of birth with Gooner was so intense and EVERYONE told me that it would hurt so much that I wouldn’t feel the stiches…um yah, WHATEVER! So glad she is here. I’m STILL waiting on mine…. She has the cutest little swaddlers!

8. Kerry January 23, 2012 at 3:59 am #

she is perfect!! well done on the no pain too! that is what i want, im sure i can do it if you can! xx

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life January 25, 2012 at 9:09 am #

She is perfect! 🙂

You can do it! I thought a few times I wanted meds, but also knew I really wanted to have a totally natural birth and just stuck with my plan. It was SO worth it!

9. marissa January 23, 2012 at 7:15 am #

She is GORGEOUS 🙂 a perfect, beautiful, baby girl! Congrats to you and your family 🙂

My goodness, what a crazy, super fast birth story. Loved reading. I had an epidural with my first son, and it fell out of place at 9cm, so I felt EVERYTHING…and I so remember that “ring of fire”…you are SO right. It felt like the worst buring and worst pain all wrapped into one…well sad. Argh, I remember like it was yesterday and he’s 5! Ha!

Congratulatious and enjoy EVERY, SINGLE second!

10. Julie January 23, 2012 at 9:42 am #

Thanks for sharing! What an amazing birth story. Congrats and enjoy your precious time with Cameryn!

11. Amy@ahealthyandhappyheart January 23, 2012 at 9:44 am #

Love your birth story! I was sobbing (happy tears!) as I read through it 🙂 So happy for you and Keith and you sweet baby girl! You are one strong women !

12. Shayla @ The Good Life January 23, 2012 at 10:23 am #

Congrats Conrad family!!! Your birth story/experience is simply so beautiful and amazing – that is so awesome you progressed so quickly and was able to have it unmedicated – something I want to have too. I’ll only wish to have a swift, and tolerable birth as you did!!

She’s absolutely beautiful and so perfect – love the outfits you have her in too! Can’t wait to see more pics of her 🙂 xoxo

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life January 25, 2012 at 9:05 am #

Thanks so much Shayla! I would suggest doing it unmedicated, but it is such a personal decision and there is no right or wrong way to go about meds. I am very proud of myself to sticking with what I wanted, even though meds would have made the whole process much more comfortable, I just wanted to feel all of childbirth and it was the most amazing experience of my life!

13. Lisa @ Healthy Diaries January 23, 2012 at 11:31 am #

Cameryn is so beautiful!!
    You had one amazing birth story! I cannot believe how fast it went for you! Most first time moms are in labor for MUCH longer!! I plan to go natural as well, but hopefully I won’t have a labor that’s 20+ hours! lol

Hope your enjoying your days with your new little arrival!

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life January 25, 2012 at 9:04 am #

I am so blessed my labor went so quickly. I couldn’t believe how far along I was when I got to the hospital which made everything go by even faster!

14. Jen@foodfamilyfitness January 23, 2012 at 2:44 pm #

She is beautiful!!!! Congratulations!

15. andee layne January 23, 2012 at 7:07 pm #

congrats!! so loved reading your birth story! cant wait for more updates! Im 31 weeks and the time is going by to quickly 🙂

16. sweetlyvegan January 23, 2012 at 7:42 pm #

wow that is such a beautiful birth story 🙂 I am so impressed you did it so quickly and exactly how you had wanted, and basically went in on the day you wanted etc! I had tears in my eyes reading as well! Hope the first few days are going well and you are soaking up every minute of her! Cant wait to hear even more!!! ❤ xoxox

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life January 25, 2012 at 9:02 am #

I am so in love with Cameryn. I can’t imagine life without her and don’t know what I used to do with all my time! She is so cute when she snuggles into me and I love giving her little kisses on her lips. She is perfect!

I am pretty lucky that everything happened exactly the way I wanted it to, with going into labor late on Tuesday and having her early morning on Wednesday. It is so weird to think about, I feel very blessed.

17. Soo [Little Miss Fitness] January 24, 2012 at 7:07 am #

She is the sweetest little peanut! Congratulations!! And way to go without the meds! Would you do it again without?

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life January 25, 2012 at 9:00 am #

Right after I had her I thought to myself that the next time I give birth I might want meds, but looking back on it now, 4 hours of intense pain was so worth the experience and given your second delivery should go quicker than your first, I think I would tough it out again with no meds.

18. Bess January 24, 2012 at 9:07 am #

She’s so beautiful!! I’m lucky to have such a pretty baby twin. Haha 🙂 I weighed 5 lbs 8oz so we were close in weight also! You did such a great job in labor! I will def be takin’ some meds though I think…when that time comes. hah

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life January 25, 2012 at 8:58 am #

Thanks! You and here were both such little babies! She had a doctor’s appointment yesterday and only weighed in at 5lbs 1oz, which is stressful to me since I want her to grow! Meds or no meds, it is all such a personal decision and I don’t think there is a right or wrong way to go! Meds would def make the process less painful though!

19. Emily January 24, 2012 at 10:19 am #

Thanks for sharing your story and congrats on such a healthy little girl! I know that you did hypnobirthing (or was it hypnobabies?) and I just wondered if you felt like it helped you, if you used any of the techniques, etc….

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life January 25, 2012 at 8:56 am #

I was planning on using hypnobirthing, but to be honest, didn’t think about it much once I was in labor. All my thoughts were so jumbled as I was progressing so quickly. I was trying to deep breathe and remember some of the hypnobirthing principles, but in the end I just did what my body wanted me to do. One thing I did get form reading the book was that I wasn’t at all fearful of the labor and delivery process. It thought me to remain calm and know that my body was made to do this. I really liked that aspect as before I read the book, I was pretty nervous and scared to give bith.

20. Maria@healthydiaries January 24, 2012 at 1:22 pm #

I was so excited to read your birth story, and even more excited to see how quickly and smoothly it went! Yay!

Cameryn is just SO precious and tiny!

I wish you a speedy recovery. Can’t wait to see her grow!

21. Alicia January 26, 2012 at 7:42 am #

OMG! She’s is BEAUTIFUL!!! Congrats girlie! 😀 I’m sooo happy for you! 🙂 Loved the birth story, you were a total trooper girl, way to go!! ❤

22. Rachel Kaser February 2, 2012 at 8:39 am #

Absolutely beautiful! congrats again! curious as to where you got the brown and pink polka dot and matching hat outfit she left the hospital in!? it is absolutely adorable! she is such a fashionista already:)

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. February Valentines 2012 - We have our first Valentines! - Page 843 - BabyandBump - January 23, 2012

[…] *I posted my birth story on my blog for those who love reading birth stories as much as I do, here: https://balancedhealthylife.com/2012/…ameryn-olivia/ document.write(guestimage); document.write(guestimage); she is so […]

2. Cameryn: One Week Old « - January 25, 2012

[…] been a week since I have birth to Baby Cameryn.  I’m still in shock over how quick my delivery was and feel very […]