Body After Baby

8 Feb

I gave myself a goal of June to get my body back and get back to my pre pregnancy weight.  I didn’t want to feel pressure and wanted to take things slowly at my own pace.  I really didn’t know what my body would look like after I gave birth, but trust me, I feared the worst.

Little did I know, my body would bounce back a lot faster than I had anticipated.  When I got home from the hospital I decided to step on the scale thinking I would be down 10-15lbs.  Not so much.  I had gained 24-25lbs during pregnancy at the time I gave birth at 37 weeks exactly.  I was only down six pounds.  How could that be, when my baby weighed six pounds?  Water retention.  I didn’t weigh myself for another couple days and was shocked at how quickly I was losing my baby weight when I stepped on the scale next.

I was able to fit into my pre pregnancy jeans a few days after giving birth (they were just a bit tight still) and ended up wearing them 11 days post partum out and about.  I credit my body bouncing back so fast to watching what I ate during pregnancy, eating fresh healthy whole foods, getting quality sleep, keeping stress at bay and working out by going to the gym, walking the dog and doing prenatal yoga.

As of right now, I have a little over a pound to lose to get back to my pre pregnancy weight.  I haven’t been cleared to exercise yet as I have some healing still to do, but my doctor did say I could walk a little after I questioned her decision to keep me from exercising.  Being a personal trainer and in tune with my body, I am going against doctor’s recommendations and am going to start doing the elliptical at home for just a quick and easy 20 minutes and also start some ab exercises in addition to going on some walks with the baby and dog.  I haven’t done any yet and if it feels uncomfortable I wont do it.  Also if I’m super exhausted I wont be doing much as much body needs sleep more than it does physical exercise right now.

Although I’m almost back to my pre pregnancy weight, my body has completely changed.  My abs don’t look bad, but they are no where near what they used to look like.  I’ve also noticed my arms and legs don’t feel as toned as they used to be.

My body goals are as follows:

• Lose five pounds past pre pregnancy weight
  • Tone abs and get good definition back
  • Tone arms and legs and get back to my old weights I used to use during strength workouts
  • Keep exercise light and easy until I get totally cleared by the doctor
  • Have the body I want by June (just in time for summer)

My eating also needs to be revamped.  The last thing I wanted to do after having a baby is plan out meals, grocery shop, prep veggies and cook healthy dinners every night.  It has been three weeks and I’ve had more chocolate, pizza and junk than I care to admit.  But the reality is I have been grabbing quick things to eat in a hurry in between feedings.  I actually find it difficult to find time to eat.  The baby has impeccable timing to get hungry right when I sit down to eat a meal.  I usually feed her and an hour later I’m starving, my meal is now cold and I just need to get something in my system quickly.  Clif Mojo bars have been consumed in truckloads over here.

Since Cameryn turned three weeks today (crazy!), I finally feel more relaxed at home and am ready to start eating healthy meals.  I have been eating a lot of salad already.  I think I had five salads for dinner out of the past 7 nights, but I’m now committed to eating healthy all day long and not just at dinner.  I’ve cut the candy and junk and I am planning on eating like I did while pregnant but with added snacks.  Breastfeeding has left me starving all day long and I need to make sure to eat enough calories to make sure I can support Cameryn’s milk demands.  I’m not counting calories, just going off how I’m feeling.  I’d estimate I’m getting in about 2500 calories a day though.

With that being said, I’m looking forward to getting back to some physical activity and clean eating.  I’m excited to share this journey with you and I’ll keep you all posted on my progress.

I’ll let you guys in on my workout routine once I feel out how my body feels doing light activity and I know what weekly routine I will be doing.

*Remember every post pregnancy body is totally different.  People lose their pregnancy weight at different paces and there is no right or wrong in what your own body does.  This post isn’t for people to compare their own post pregnancy journey with, it is simply to share my journey with you.*

Pregnant 4 weeks

Pregnant 18 Weeks

Pregnant 35 Weeks

IMG_0588

I still need to take some pictures for progress and will have them for the next Body After Baby post!

Cameryn doing tummy time at 2 1/2 weeks, pretty good for being so little!

IMG_0987

All ready for the Super Bowl!

IMG_0979

Questions:

• Was there a time in your life you had to take time of exercise?
  • How did you get back into a routine?
  • What is your favorite quick and easy meal?  Please feel free to link your recipes, I’m looking for some new ones!

23 Responses to “Body After Baby”

1. Erica February 8, 2012 at 3:52 pm #

Wow-good for you girl. I def ate well and worked out right up until kays birth and six months later… I still have three pounds to go. I think everyones bodies just react differently! Your peanut is such a cutie

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life February 9, 2012 at 9:25 am #

Your exactly right, every one’s body reacts differently. I remember reading about your workouts right up until you gave birth, you definitely inspired me to be so active!

2. Shanna like Banana February 8, 2012 at 5:09 pm #

Dang girl I am so jealous! My weight is hanging on for dear life. I cannot understand why but my doc did said some women do not lose the weight until they STOP breastfeeding. Oye.

For quick healthy meals I like to make a veggie stirfry with a broccoli slaw base.

Enjoy your gorgeous little girl!!!

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life February 9, 2012 at 9:23 am #

Bodies are all so different especially with all those crazy pregnancy hormones. You’ll get to where you want to be, I have no doubt! I still need to tone up and have a little ways to go to get to where I want to be, but I’m not complaining, I have my goals to try and get to by June.

3. Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather February 8, 2012 at 5:22 pm #

She is such a doll! And I totally agree with listening to your body and doing what’s right. You’re so committed you’ll get where you want to be in no time.

4. sweetlyvegan February 8, 2012 at 5:29 pm #

lucky you!! already thisclose to your pre preggo weight! your healthy efforts def paid off!!
    quick and easy meals- hmm- I almost don’t like admitting this, but in a pinch I will just nuke one of Amy’s Light & Lean Frozen meals- they are made with organic EVERYTHING. She has a few new ones out like Spaghetti and Meatballs (Meatless Meatballs made with Organic Pasta & Veggies) and for the whole thing its only 240 calories. Her Light & Lean products almost always have just about 250 calories, under 5g fat, and rarely over 550mg of sodium. Not too shabby for a quick easy meal. I don’t like to eat them all the time, but its a good alternative when necessary. Or a smoothie with protein powder is another quick & easy favorite of mine.
    Love the baby pics! 🙂 She is darling!!!

5. Hollie @ Lolzthatswim(andRun) February 8, 2012 at 5:58 pm #

Wow that is seriously inspirational girl. I cannot believe how quickly you are getting back to your pre weight and so easily! So glad for you and you work to your @$$ off for it anyways! 🙂 Love your fitness blog.

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life February 9, 2012 at 9:20 am #

I feel blessed my body is bouncing back on its own so easily, but like I mentioned i still have a ways to go to get my muscle tone back and to look how I used to look.

6. Shayla @ The Good Life February 8, 2012 at 6:15 pm #

Wow girl!!! That is amazing that your only 1 lb away from your pre-pregnancy weight!!!! I hope to god I’m as lucky as you when it’s my turn. Will you be posting what your eats are like right now? Laury just did a post like this and I think it’d be interesting to see what your eats are like to maintain your BF and energy levels…all while losing weight!
    And love love the baby Cameryn pic – she’s absolutely adorable 🙂

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life February 9, 2012 at 9:19 am #

I will be posting my eats again, I will post what I had been eating right after pregnancy and what I’m eating now (eating healthy while breastfeeding) in my next post.

7. JessSutera February 9, 2012 at 7:34 am #

WOW. Though I’m not surprised, I am totally impressed by your bounce-back ability! I totally agree with you – the work you did during pregnancy to stay fit and active paid off BIG time for you! I hope to be in a similar situation SOMEDAY when I find myself pregnant. 😉

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life February 9, 2012 at 9:18 am #

Weight bounce back is almost done, but my body does look a lot different so I still have a ways to go to feel 100% back to my old self again. You’ll rock at being pregnant I have no doubt!

8. Lisa @ Healthy Diaries February 9, 2012 at 11:37 am #

That is so awesome for you Kjirsten. You’re truly very lucky because it’s not that easy for most woman!

I can’t imagine how bad you want to being working out again, but I would just play it safe until you see your doctor. I know you’re a trainer and very in tune with your body, but what’s the rush! Summer is months away and you’ve already lost most your weight! 🙂

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life February 12, 2012 at 7:23 pm #

I like moving my body to just get my blood pumping a little and because it makes me feel so good! I’m totally playing it safe and would never do anything that would jepodize my healing. My doctor did tell me she doesn’t believe in exercise because she doesn’t like to sweat so I take her fitness advice with a grain of salt! 🙂

9. marissa February 9, 2012 at 5:04 pm #

wow, awesome to bounce back SO quickly 🙂 of course, you look great throughout pregnancy, so that’s awesome too. what a sweet baby girl…growing so fast, huh?

yea, i wasn’t cleared the exercise, but decided to walk the block several times with my first son, and started feeling horrible pressure “down there” and i flipped out…learned my lesson to LISTEN TO THE DOCTOR…hahahaha! good luck and have fun with that baby!

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life February 12, 2012 at 7:25 pm #

Thanks! I still have a long way to get to where I used to be but I’m excited to be working towards a goal! So far I’ve only be active on three days and everything has been good. I’m in no way hitting the exercise hard, just doing very light activity! I don’t want anything down there to hurt!

10. andeelayne February 10, 2012 at 9:39 am #

always love hearing your progress! I’m 34 weeks and it gives me a little insight on what to expect. Im also a fellow health nut and hoping to bounce back pretty quickly but well see 😉

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life February 12, 2012 at 7:27 pm #

It is almost your time! I was 35 weeks when they told me I could give birth any time! 🙂 You have so much to look forward too! Seriously being a mother has been the best thing that has ever happened to me! I feel like I found my calling in life! It is the most incredible journey!

11. Jen@FoodFamilyFitness February 10, 2012 at 5:53 pm #

Was there a time in your life you had to take time of exercise? I have 3 kids and they were all c-section, it took a long, long time to get back to exercise.

How did you get back into a routine? I really never did after my 3rd was born, which is how I ended up where I am now.

What is your favorite quick and easy meal? Herb baked chicken, brown rice, roasted or steamed vegetables.

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life February 12, 2012 at 7:28 pm #

Oh I c-section, that is definitely a longer recovery! That herbed chicken sounds great! Do you have the recipe on your blog?

• Jen@FoodFamilyFitness February 13, 2012 at 5:30 am #

Not yet, next time I make it, I will post the recipe. I’m trying to make it a bit healthier before I post it.