Cameryn: 4 Weeks

17 Feb

I know I say this each week, but I can’t believe Cameryn is already 4 weeks old!  She is officially one month tomorrow.  She is growing up so fast and is discovering new things everyday.

Cameryn had her one month doctor’s appointment yesterday and she now weighs 7 lbs. 3oz and is 20 1/4 inches long.  That means she’s gained over 2 pounds since her last visit (she weighed in at 5lbs 1oz) and she is over 2 inches longer than when she was born.  Holy moly she is growing!  It makes me happy she is getting enough food as it is hard to tell when you are breastfeeding.

I thought she would get her second Hep B shot yesterday but they said they are waiting until two months as it is mixed in with another shot.  For those who have kids, you know how many vaccinations there are for newborn.  I’m all for vaccinations but I need to know what is going into my child’s body and I want to know about all the side effects of the shots.  I wasn’t sure and still am not sure if I want Cameryn to have all the 36-38 vaccinations that are recommended but I do know starting at her two month check up, we are opting for her to get only one vaccination a week so her little body isn’t injected with too much foreign stuff all in one day.  The doctor said a few parents she’s had in the past have wanted to do vaccinations this way and she is more than happy to do this for Cameryn.  I also had her write down the four vaccinations so I can research them before Baby C starts getting injected.

This week, week 4, Cameryn has been up a lot more.  She is usually up for a few hours in the morning and then she wakes up again for a few hours starting around 7-8pm.  She is also awake for little time periods during the day when we like to play by making faces at each other, reading all sorts of books and spending time both on her tummy and back on her activity mat.  It is so much fun watching her learn and explore her environment.  I love watching her as she looks all around.

The doctor said Cameryn should turn her sleep schedule around at any time and get into a routine where she is sleeping at night and up more during the day.  I’m still up with her about 2-3 times a night anywhere form 1-4+ hours at a time.  The other night we were up together from 2:15am – 6:30am.  That wasn’t her best night.

Another thing she has started doing while sleeping is inching her little body over to mine while she is sleeping until she is nestled right up next to my body.  She started doing this just a few nights ago.  While I was trying to fall asleep I noticed her wriggling her little body until she nestled her head in between my head and neck.  It was too cute.  Then yesterday she was laying on the couch with Keith and she did the same thing until she nestled her little body and head right up next to him.  And, again while sleeping last night, she wriggled until she had her body next to mine and she actually put her nose so it was touching my nose and fell asleep.

Knowing how much she is moving in bed, we ordered her an in bed co-sleeper that arrived yesterday.  I washed everything and we are going to try it out tonight (the main part was still drying when we went to bed so we didn’t use it last night).  I’m hoping she likes it since I love having her sleep with us, but would sleep better knowing she is in a little co-sleeper and not just free in our bed.  It will give me peace of mind.  I feel like having her sleep with us I never fully get into a deep sleep because I’m worried about her.

In other news, she is supposed to start smiling on her own at any time now so the doctor told us to act as goofy as we can around her.  I can’t wait for her first big toothless smile!  It is going to melt my heart!

My little cherub cheeked cupid!

IMG_1152

IMG_1154IMG_1157IMG_1141IMG_1079

Somebody was hungry…

IMG_1186

Rocking tummy time.  She can hold her head up for over 30 seconds on her own.  The doctor couldn’t believe how strong she is for such a little girl!

IMG_1090IMG_1197IMG_1199IMG_1206

And a big brother picture, so he doesn’t get jealous!

IMG_1182

Questions:

• Parents, what is your view on vaccinations?  Did you do opt to get your kids fully vaccinated on the doctor’s schedule or space out the shots a little?  Any shots you opted out of?
  • Non parents, what is your view on vaccinations?
  • What is your view about co sleeping with a newborn?  Yay or nay?  I’ve heard it is healthy for the baby but you can have a hard time getting your little one to sleep on his/her own once you want them in their own bed.
  • When did you notice your baby start sleeping through the night more than usual?

17 Responses to “Cameryn: 4 Weeks”

1. Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather February 17, 2012 at 12:11 pm #

Her growth is so great! Vaccinations is definitely something I need to do research on… any good resources I should check out?

As far as a co-sleeper goes I can imagine my husband wouldn’t sleep good at all with our little one in bed next to us, so I plan to have his play thingy set up next to my side of the bed. That way he’s right there but not in the bed. We’ll see though, it could all change!

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life February 17, 2012 at 3:21 pm #

I’ll let you know if I find any great resources.

We also had her pack and play set up right next to our side of the bed but the baby only lasted a few nights in there before she let us know she wanted to be in the big bed. It is not my favorite, but at least I get sleep!

2. Rebecca February 17, 2012 at 2:02 pm #

I don’t have kids (though I can’t wait!!), but I do have strong views about vaccines. I won’t go into it here (I’d probably be writing for hours!) but I have substantiated anti-vaccine sentiments. The majority of them are unnecessary and harmful. Just as you wouldn’t want to ingest harmful substances via food or products, it is certainly not preferable to inject oneself with them–especially in an infant! It’s best to let their immune systems develop before ever vaccinating as the early intervention prohibits the system from functioning optimally.

If you’re set on vaccinating Cameryn, I implore you to actively research the issue from all sides. The FDA and doctors paint a scary picture of the non-vaccinated child, but there are ulterior motives at play. There’s a lot of data out there to help you make an informed decision about all of it, but go with mother’s intuition…36-38 vaccines seems like an awful lot to give someone in their first months of life…

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life February 17, 2012 at 3:27 pm #

I totally agree with you Rebecca! I am very wary of them and actually am kicking myself in the butt for letting her get hep b at the hospital. My thinking is that I don’t even have it and she won’t be in any situations where she could get it. I asked for the list of shots at two months so I can research and do my own vaccination schedule. I also don’t like the vaccinations where there are about six shots in one. I just don’t have a good feeling about them. I am all about eliminating all toxins from the body and putting all those viruses into my infant is super scary. I have lots of research to do before our next appointment so Keith and I can make the right decisions for Cameryn.

• Rebecca February 17, 2012 at 3:36 pm #

Exactly right–if you don’t have it, she probably won’t either. We tend to vaccinate as if we live in the 1800s, but the reality is that disease have died out and the threat of illness has been obliterated.

Props to you and Keith–it’s clear how carefully you make your decisions and you’re obviously great parents. Cameryn is adorable!

3. HollieisFueledByLOLZ February 18, 2012 at 6:04 am #

Awe I cannot believe it’s already been a month as well! I guess I never knew how many vacinations have to be gotten as a newborn. 36 is a lot and you better believe I would be researching them as well if it were my child.

4. marissa February 18, 2012 at 8:51 am #

she’s growing so quickly. i vaccinate my boys on schedule and all at once. i have friends that space them out, but honestly, i’m not sure the research is strong enough to spread them out, makes for more trips to the germ-infested dr office and i’d rather get it, get it done and get out!!! can you tell i’m germophobic? lol!

5. HeatherB February 18, 2012 at 12:18 pm #

I’m with marissa on the germaphobe thing! I hate taking luke to the germy doctors office more than we have to. I do vaccinate him though and think it’s important. Luke has had a couple reactions which scares the s&;t out of me but I’d rather suffer those small issues than have him develop something more serious. My sister actually makes one of the vaccines and they do research on all the others so she makes me feel better about it and the research that supports it. As for co-sleeping, I love it!! We had this little sleeper insert for the pack and play that we took into bed with us so we could get used to sleeping with him. As far as getting him used to his own bed in the future and having it be tough, eh, whatever, he’s only this little and this snugly for such a short time so I’d rather snuggle for as long as I can and deal with the rest later! those pink pjs Cameryn is in are adorable!!!

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life February 20, 2012 at 10:51 am #

I’m prety weird about the doctor’s too. I cover her with a blanket and always go into the healthy kids room with her. I’m with you on having it be tough to get the baby to sleep somewhere else. I know I love having her sleep next to me but I think once she is three or four months my husband is going to be ready to get her into her own crib!

6. sweetlyvegan February 18, 2012 at 8:11 pm #

I had no idea there were so many vaccines for babies! I will have to do more research as well before I can form a decision on that one!
    I also plan on getting the snuggle nest with the womb sounds and little light on it. I think its called snuggle nest surround. We have the pack n play and a moses basket but I don’t really know how I feel about our babes sleeping in the moses basket on a regular basis.
    I love all the pics of Cameryn she is such a doll!! How is Quincy doing with her now? Do you keep a gate up when she is doing her tummy time or whenever you have her on the floor?
    xoxoxx

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life February 20, 2012 at 10:49 am #

I saw the snuggle nest and we went with a similar one. I used it in bed one night and then half way through the night I took it out of the bed. I felt like it was taking up too much space sicne we only have a queen sized bed. I tried using it again the next night but just didn’t like it in bed with us! I think we’ll be buying a king very very soon.

Quincy is doing great with her. He tries to give her kisses when we aren’t looking and it is super cute!

Right now we have a gate at the door of her room, it swings open and works awesome! When we do tummy time we have her activity mat in her room and sometimes Quincy is in with her and other times he isn’t. He knows he can’t go near her or her activity mat when she is on it so he usually just curls up behind her glider and sleeps while we are playing. I’m looking into getting a foam mat for our family room since we have travertine floors that are way too hard for her to play on. That was she can play out there with her toys, especially when she gets a little bit older, we wont always have to play in her room. I reccommend getting a gate for Hayden’s room, it is nice to be able to keep the dog out when we want and also so he wont track in all his hair and dander.

7. allieksmith February 19, 2012 at 7:00 am #

I’m glad to hear Cameryn is doing well and gained weight. I love that she snuggles up to you while she’s sleeping ! Adorable 🙂

8. Amy@ahealthyandhappyheart February 19, 2012 at 7:02 am #

Yay for baby Cameryn gaining weight and growing so strong! I love reading your updates 🙂