Some Eats of the Week- Vitamix

24 Feb

This past Wednesday was my 29th birthday.  My husband was kind enough to get me the Vitamix 5200. I’ve been wanting for a while now, but just couldn’t justify spending so much money on a blender.  Immediately when I got my Vitamix, I started playing around with it and making lots of things.  Here is what I’ve made so far:

• Spinach Ice Cream  <—OMG, so amazing
  • Orange Julius
  • Salsa
  • Pomegranate Ice Cream
  • Endless Smoothies made with some of the following (bananas, oranges, pink lady apples, blueberries, frozen fruit mix (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, pomegranate and dark cherries I found at Costco and it is all organic, I need to stock up on the mix incase they don’t restock it! I love finding frozen organic fruit for cheap) and lots of spinach.

IMG_1272

I’m really looking forward to making hummus and nut butter in it next.

My favorite recipe so far has been the following:

Spinach Blueberry Rainbow Smoothie

Serves 4

Ingredients:

• 2 cups almond milk (I used original flavor)
  • 2 scoops vanilla protein powder
  • 2 bananas
  • 2 oranges, peeled
  • 1 pink lady apple, cored
  • 1 cup blueberries
  • 2 heaping handfuls of spinach
  • 1 cup ice cubes

Put the ingredients into a blender in the order listed.  Blend until smooth.  Serve and enjoy!

IMG_1311

*You can also add in flaxseeds, chia seeds, and sub frozen fruit for any of the fruit listed.  One of my favorite smoothie combinations is blueberry banana so this was right up my alley and is my favorite smoothie I’ve made yet.  You are also getting in a rainbow of produce colors (yellow, orange, red, blue and green), meaning you are getting in many different nutrients and vitamins that the body needs.  Yay!  I know I’ll be making many many more of this smoothie.

So far, I love the Vitamix and can’t believe I waited so long to get one.  I have lots of plans for it and can’t wait to make many more recipes.  I love how easily it blends things together.  It is awesome and I recommend everyone should have one in their kitchen.

Other eats of the week have been,

Homemade chicken chow mein with brown rice

IMG_1244

Salads with homemade salad dressing

IMG_1260

And a slice of carrot cake for my birthday

IMG_1288

I’ve now given up sweets for Lent so the carrot cake was my last sugary treat until Easter in April.

Questions:

• If you have a Vitamix, what is your favorite thing to make in it?
  • What is your favorite fruit to have in your smoothie?
  • If you acknowledge Lent, what are you giving up if anything?

12 Responses to “Some Eats of the Week- Vitamix”

1. Claire @ Live and Love to Eat February 24, 2012 at 12:51 pm #

Happy belated! Beautiful photos! Link for the spinach ice cream?

I gave up added sugar for Lent but might need to back it down to “sweets” – even plain Cheerios have added sugar!

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life February 24, 2012 at 1:09 pm #

Isn’t it amazing how many things have added sugar to them? Almost everything it seems.

Spinach ice cream is super easy to make. All you need is vanilla coffee creamer (or anything similar you like, the coffee creamer does have higher sugar then probably some other options that would also prob. Work), spinach and ice. I don’t have exact measurements but I would guess 1/8 – 1/4 cup creamer, 1 1/2 handfuls of spinach and about 3/4 cup ice cubes. Blend together and enjoy. It tastes almost like pistachio ice cream. Both my dad and husband approve and that is not easy to do. If you add in one whole peeled orange to the mix, you have an orange julius. That also tastes so great and refreshing.

2. loftyappetite February 24, 2012 at 12:55 pm #

Happy belated birthday!!!! Also, I’ve never seen anyone put apples in a smoothie!! Do they blend well? I’ll have to try it!

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life February 24, 2012 at 1:11 pm #

They blended great in the vitamix. I hadn’t tried them in our regular blender though. I’m thinking of trying to make an apple cinnamon smoothie sometime soon.

3. Corrie Anne February 24, 2012 at 4:48 pm #

AWESOME b-day gift!! The rainbow smoothie caught my eye in the feed right away!! It looks so amazing!

4. sweetlyvegan February 24, 2012 at 8:46 pm #

YAY you got a Vitamix!! Your smoothies sound so good! And spinach ice cream I will have to try, along with the orange julius! Like tomorrow morning! haha 🙂 yum!!!
    When I first got my vitamix I made what seemed to be every meal in it!! haha. you have to try the tortilla soup! SO GOOD!!! here is a good recipe using mostly just veggies and it tastes really good!–> http://www.choosingraw.com/raw-tortilla-soup/

5. amy February 24, 2012 at 8:55 pm #

We LOVE our Vitamix! One of our family favorites is chocolate/peanut butter ice cream.
    Frozen ripe bananas, some peanut butter (or almond butter works well, too), and some raw cacao powder. You’ll need to use the tamper to get the frozen bananas whipped up well, but it’s FANTASTIC!

6. HollieisFueledByLOLZ February 26, 2012 at 7:58 am #

Is it just me or do all your eats look like they belong in some sort of magazine or something dear god. I’ve never had a vitamix but from the blogging world they sound pretty good! 🙂

7. Jamie @ Food in Real Life February 27, 2012 at 4:59 pm #

Looks awesome! Happy bday! When do you find the time to cook?!?

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life February 27, 2012 at 6:07 pm #

I have had time to cook since my mom was in town for almost among after Keith’s family was here for a week. So all the extra help has given me just a bit of time to cook. My mon leaves tomorrow so I am back on my own!