Back in Workout Mode- Post Pregnancy Workout Plan

5 Mar

On Friday, I had my 6 week appointment with my doctor.  She gave me the thumbs up to workout again and I am so happy!  Taking time off wasn’t nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be.  I was so distracted with the baby, I don’t think I would have worked out even if I could have.  I never realized just how time consuming nursing is along with all the other new mom duties on top of everything else.

On Saturday, I didn’t waste any time and did 45 minutes of cardio on the elliptical at home, followed by 10 minutes of working my core.

On Sunday, I did a repeat workout minus the core exercises.  I did another 45 minutes of cardio and was surprised to see my heart rate stayed much lower than it did on Saturday.

The workouts felt great and I felt like I had an extra pep in my step!  I can’t wait to actually find time to get into the gym so I can use the treadmill (my favorite, I like mixing up running and walking, it makes the time fly) and also use all the strength machines and equipment.

I missed working out and it feels so good to be back!

I have a tentative plan of what I’ll be doing to get back to my pre-pregnancy body and also get fit and toned for summer.  My main goal is to tone up and retighten by body after pregnancy.  This is what I’m planning on doing.  I’ll post the workouts within each workout once I’ve decided on what exercises I’ll be doing.

Kjirsten’s Post Pregnancy Workout Plan

Workouts Per Week:  5

Workout Duration:  45-60 minutes

Repetitions and Sets:  8 reps and 4 sets

Workout Schedule:

• Intervals (20 min) and Strength (Legs & Shoulders)
  • 45+ minutes of Cardio and Core
  • Intervals (20 min) and Strength (Back & Biceps)
  • 45+ minutes of Cardio and Core
  • Intervals (20 min) and Strength (Chest & Triceps)

Before I start my new workout plan, I am going to stick with just steady state cardio this week as my transition week.  I’ll be focusing on heavy strength in my new plan so I can strengthen my muscles back to where they were before I got out on bed rest and had Cameryn (build a bit more lean muscle mass) and also I’ll be focusing on reducing body fat.

Like I mentioned above, I’ll post the exercises I’ll be doing each workout.  I will probably pick around 4 exercises per muscle group.

I also ordered two new yoga DVDs and can’t wait to get back into the routine of doing yoga.  I like doing yoga to stay limber and keep my muscles stretched out and also for the mental aspect of it.  I love the meditation and deep breathing at the end of a practice.  I’m not sure how many practices I will be able to fit in each week, but my goal is 3 days of at least 20 minutes.  I can always find a quick 20 minutes sometime during the week to just relax and do some yoga.

I’ll let you guys know what I think of the yoga DVDs.

I must admit finding time to fit in my workouts is going to be hard.  I’m not sure how many of my workouts will be at the gym, but I’m lucky to have enough equipment at  home to be able to workout form here.  I’m setting the bar high and hope over the next few weeks to be able to find time to accomplishment the workouts and balance my schedule.  I’m usually a workout first thing in the morning type of person and I know this wont happen.  With Keith going to work and me training client a few morning a week, realistically I wont be at the gym by 5:15am anymore.  Although I would love to be able to.

I’m committed to my new plan and I can’t wait to start seeing results.  I know it is hard work with having a newborn at home (and not sleeping a lot), but like all things that are important to me, I’ll find the time.  I know there are people busier than me who make the time and so will I!  I have workouts at the top of my priority list.  The better I take care of myself, the better mom and wife I can be to my family!

Questions:

• What are your favorite exercises at the moment?
  • Do you find it hard to balance all the things going on in your life?
  • What are your top priorities?

14 Responses to “Back in Workout Mode- Post Pregnancy Workout Plan”

1. allieksmith March 5, 2012 at 12:14 pm #

I love the point you made, that if you love something, you’ll make time for it. So true 🙂 best of luck to you on your new journey!

2. Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather March 5, 2012 at 4:06 pm #

Sounds like an awesome plan! I can only imagine its tricky finding the time, but you’re so committed and love it I bet you’ll make it work girl!

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life March 5, 2012 at 4:07 pm #

I hope I can make it work! Luckily, like you can relate, being a personal trainer kind of makes working out a must do. There are no excuses, espedcially since its your job to get people to workout and find that it is fun and rewarding!

3. HollieisFueledByLOLZ March 5, 2012 at 5:34 pm #

Love it-You make time for anything you love. Do you do a lot of workout DVDS? I’m actually looking at doing some core ones-I just need to find some that I like.

4. sweetlyvegan March 5, 2012 at 8:17 pm #

Great job on the workouts!! I am so glad you are sharing what you are doing to get your post baby bod back… I would love to have a tummy like yours so I will definitely be taking notes on what you are doing (cuz it obviously works! lol) and incorporating that into my workouts or even following it exactly myself 😉 xox

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life March 6, 2012 at 7:47 am #

Thanks, now I just need to find the time to get them done! I’ll be sharing everything and I’m hopimg to get good results! 🙂

What I do will hopfully serve as a guide for other woman looking to get fit after giving birth!

5. Lisa@Healthy Diaries.com March 6, 2012 at 11:43 am #

It looks like you have a great plan Kjirsten! I’m sure it will be hard to manage your time to fit in the workouts, but after a little bit of time you should figure out what works best for you!

6. Jen@FoodFamilyFitness March 6, 2012 at 12:13 pm #

What are your favorite exercises at the moment? Treadmill and all of the strength machines at the gym.

Do you find it hard to balance all the things going on in your life? Always. But now that my kids are getting older, it’s getting a lot easier.

What are your top priorities? Currently: working out, eating right, family, friends, everything else…

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life March 6, 2012 at 6:33 pm #

I love the treadmill too and haven’t been on one in months! I can’t wait to change that! I love all your top priorities, they are basically mine as well!

7. Running Girl March 6, 2012 at 3:57 pm #

Great job getting back into it! Yep, it’s definitely hard to prioritize everything, especially with a new baby at home. Mine are a little older (5 & 6), & I cherish getting my sleep again. 🙂 I have three work out options, and choose between them based on my schedule for the day (at lunch – top choice, but doesn’t always jive with my meeting schedule), after the kids are in bed (not my favorite, but I rally & lever myself off the sofa for a quick run), and in the mornings. I prefer to run outside, & mornings are not conducive to that, but as a last resort, I make it work.

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life March 6, 2012 at 6:32 pm #

I love that you have three different options to get your workout in! I think it is great and that way you always have some way/time when you can squeeze some exercise in! You motivate me! : )