First Week Back in the Gym

12 Mar

Hey guys!  I can’t believe the weekend is already over.  They always go so fast don’t they?

Anyways, this past week was my first week working out since before Cameryn was born.  For my first week back working out, I wanted to just focus on cardio for the week and getting my endurance back a bit and just trying to recondition my body for intense workouts.  Not to mention it was easier to just workout at home then trying to find time to hit the gym.

Here is what I did for my first week moving my post pregnancy body:

Saturday March 3rd, 45 minutes cardio + core (on the elliptical at home)

Sunday March 4th, 45 minutes cardio (on the elliptical at home)

Tuesday March 6th, 45 minutes of cardio (on the elliptical at home)

Wednesday March 7th, 45 minutes of cardio + core (on the elliptical at home)

Thursday March 8th, 35 minute Jillian Michaels Yoga Meltdown DVD (with Keith)  <—it is definitely more like a strength training yoga session than a relaxing one!  We were both feeling the burn!

Friday March 9th, 45 minutes of cardio (on the elliptical at home)

Saturday March 10th, 20 minutes intervals on the treadmill + legs and shoulders

Trying to find time to get to the gym is going to be difficult, but with some planning and determination, I’m going to make it happen.  I wont be working out at the most desirable times, but hey, a new mom has to do what she has to do to fit in her workouts!  I’m going to try and get to the gym at least three days a week for my own workouts and think two of those days will be easy to get in over the weekend.  It would be nice to do all five of them in the gym, but realistically that probably wont happen.  So, I’m fine doing some workouts at home and am excited for my new yoga DVDs as well.

Here are my exercises for my Leg and Shoulder day.  Note that I’m doing reps no greater than eight and four sets of each exercise before starting the next exercise.

Leg and Shoulder Day

• Walking Lunges    <—This circuit made me so sore!
  • Sumo Squats
  • Step Ups
  • Deadlifts

• Shoulder Press
  • Rear Delt Fly
  • Lateral and Frontal Raise Combo Move

This is what I’m planning on doing for my Back and Bicep day and for my Chest and Triceps day. I do three sets of push ups until failure at home every day so I’m only doing two chest exercises. Plus my pecs are already super strong from having chest press being one of my favorite exercises so I’m really not looking to strengthen my pec muscles too much more.

Back and Biceps Day

• Straight Bar Pull
  • Close Grip Cable Row
  • Back Extension
  • Overhead Bench Pullover

• Alternating Bicep Curls
  • Hammer Curls on Cable Machine
  • Bicep Curls on Bar

Chest and Triceps

• Chest Press
  • Pec Fly (on bench or cables)

• Triceps Pull Down
  • Triceps Overhead Pull Down
  • Triceps One Arm Laying Extension (French Press)
  • Dips Until Failure

It is both exciting and fun being back in the gym and I can’t wait for my body to start responding to the exercise and begin transforming itself back to the fit body it was pre pregnancy!  I’m still about one pound away from my pre-pregnancy weight but still need to build back muscle and tone all over.  I’m excited to share my results with you once I start seeing them happen!  Smile

Questions:

• What is your motivation for working out right now?
  • Are you working towards any specific goals?
  • What exercise do you swear by?

12 Responses to “First Week Back in the Gym”

1. Corrie Anne March 12, 2012 at 9:12 pm #

Hooray!! It must feel good! I feel exactly the same way abt Jillian Michaels yoga. It’s TOUGH!

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life March 13, 2012 at 4:13 pm #

I thought it was going to be more relaxing and had my husband do it with my for the first time. Both our abs were sore the following day! It is great because it is like strength and yoga all in one!

2. marissa March 13, 2012 at 5:03 am #

woohoo for getting back in the gym, i’m sure ya missed it! hope its going good for ya!

i admit, it’s so difficult for me to seperate kid/family time, and my time/workout time! BUT i make it work and i know you will too…gotta find that balance!

my goals, hmm i wanna lose about 10lbs before summer gets here because these boys are going to wanna swim the ENTIRE summer, i just know it! and the may mud run, i just wanna finish and be proud of myself!

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life March 13, 2012 at 4:12 pm #

Balance is key. I try and sneak in at home workouts when the baby is napping. I know I wont go to the gym once my husband is home since I want to spend my evenings with him not in the gym. Getting up first thing in the morning is hard too before he heads to work since the baby is always so hungry first thing and she hasn’t really been fond of bottle feedings.

That mud run will be fun and I’m sure you’ll rock it!

3. Lisa@Healthy Diaries.com March 13, 2012 at 10:07 am #

Great job with your workouts. I can imagine how hard it is to get back to the gym, but it’s great that you’ve been doing what you can and working out at home for now!

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life March 13, 2012 at 4:05 pm #

Anything to squeeze exercise in is a must do. I know getting to the gym is going to be hard, so working out from home has been my best option, plus I work up a sweat and get my heart rate rocking!

4. Running Girl March 13, 2012 at 10:24 am #

Nice work getting back in the gym! I’m currently motivated to rock my upcoming races, to look good in my bikini this summer, and just to feel good in my clothes.

5. HollieisFueledByLOLZ March 13, 2012 at 12:01 pm #

I’m so excited you are getting back to the gym. You are seriously my gym idol. Hopefully you’ll be able to work something in. 🙂

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life March 13, 2012 at 4:03 pm #

It feels so amazing to just be able to move again! My body was longing for a workout! Any speaking of gym inspiration, you are my inspiration with all the Arc Trainer sessions you do!

6. sweetlyvegan March 14, 2012 at 11:06 pm #

WOW kicking a$$ on the workouts mama! good for you!
    My motivation for working out right now is to stay fit so that I can feel good about myself and the way I look being as pregnant as I am. If I didn’t workout right now I would probably gain weight faster and lose tons of muscle tone. If I miss a few days working out I feel like there is less definition and that is frustrating. so working out is an absolute must! Plus it boosts my mood.
    Anytime I am feeling sluggish I pretend like someone is forcing me to not workout and that makes me want to go more than ever, so I get my butt down to the gym pronto. 🙂

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life March 15, 2012 at 3:47 pm #

I think working out during pregnancy is so important and really helps make labor a lot easier. Plus it is nice to feel good during pregnancy when you aren’t feeling like yourself. You are doing such a great job exercising and don’t have much longer to go! Plus I think it helps the body bounce back really quickly as well!