Over the weekend, Keith picked up some shrimp wraps at Costco. I didn’t want to eat the wrap so I just put the insides into a bowl. What I ate was mainly shrimp and cabbage, but it tasted so good, it inspired me to create a salad recipe using these two main ingredients. I also found a recipe for cilantro lime salad dressing to try and replicate the dressing that came with the wraps.
So, last night for dinner we made shrimp and cabbage salads and they were a huge hit. Both Keith and I couldn’t stop raving about how amazing they tasted, how light and refreshing they were and how all the flavors blended together so nicely. We are already planning on having them again tomorrow night for dinner, that’s how much we loved them.
Not only did they taste amazing, but they were low in calories and carbs and high in protein! My perfect dinner!
Shrimp and Cabbage Salad
Serves: 2 (note: the dressing makes more than just two servings. It would make a great marinade or you can use it more salad)
Cilantro Lime Salad Dressing Ingredients
(adapted from All Recipes, click here)
- 4 pickled jalapenos
- 1 tablespoon garlic (use less if you aren’t a huge fan of garlic)
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 cup packed cilantro leaves (or more if you love cilantro like me. I almost doubled this amount)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 head of red cabbage
- 1/2 head of green cabbage
- 16-20 cooked shrimp,cold and cut into bite size pieces (I like squeezing just a bit of fresh lemon juice over these)
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 small cucumber, sliced and quartered (we didn’t use one, but will next time, we think the crunch will add nice texture to the salad)
Dressing– I made this in the morning so all the flavors had time to combine together.
- In a blender or food processor, add the jalapenos, garlic, honey, lime juice, balsamic vinegar and salt . Pulse for about 10 seconds.
- Add in the cilantro leaves and pulse until the cilantro is well blended.
- Slowly add in the olive oil and pulse.
- Wash and finely shred the cabbage (I do this in the vitamix. Put cut cabbage in and fill with water. Blend for one second. Drain the water and let the cabbage completely dry before using. I prepped my cabbage in the morning as well so it had time to dry before dinner).
- Place the cabbage on a plate, top with shrimp, tomatoes, avocado and the optional cucumbers.
- Top with the cilantro lime salad dressing and enjoy!
This salad is seriously so good. A must try, plus it is so healthy!
If you try this, you wont be left disappointed!