Workout of the Week- Upper Body Summer Arms Circuit

11 May

There is nothing better than sporting short sleeve and tank tops in summer and having the confidence to do it.  Jiggle free arms and a strong upper body are something few lucky women are blessed with.  For the rest of us, that means we need to work hard training our upper bodies to achieve that nice toned and sleek look.

By doing this circuit twice a week, you’ll rocking those tank tops in no time!

_____________________________________________________________

Upper Body Summer Arms Circuit

5 minute warm up of your choice

Circuit #1  (4 Sets of 10 Reps)

• Triceps Pull Down on Cables
  • Triceps Overhead Pull Down on Cables

1 Minute Straight Arm Plank

Circuit #2 (2 Sets of 15 Reps)

• Incline Chest Press
  • Incline Chest Fly

Repeat the chest exercises twice before finishing up the circuit.

• French Press (repeat twice)

1 Minute Straight Arm Plank

Circuit #3 (4 Sets of 8 Reps)

• Bicep Curls

Repeat four times before moving on to the following two bicep exercises

• Hammer Curls
  • Cables Curls

1 Minute Straight Arm Plank

Circuit #4 (2 Sets of 12-15 Reps and 50 Reps)

• Shoulder Press
  • Lateral Raise
  • Incline Bench Arm Raises
  • Rear Deltoid Fly
  • Ceiling Punches (x50 per arm, use a light weight)

1 Minute Straight Arm Plank

*Remember to pick weights so that by the end of the set, you can really feel the burn, your muscles should be fatigued!  Otherwise you are working hard for nothing!  Women wont bulk up by using heavy weight, so don’t be afraid to use them!

*Remember to consult with your doctor before trying out a new exercise program.*

This circuit should be done twice a week on nonconsecutive days and will take you about 35 minutes to complete.

Smile

____________________________________________________________

Before we know it, we’ll all be confidently sporting sleeveless dresses and shirts just like Jessica Biel!  Even the stars need to workout hard too, they’re not all genetically blessed!  Smile

Questions:

• What is your favorite upper body exercise?
  • Do you use heavy weights in the gym?
  • Are you a fan of sleeveless shirts and dresses?

6 Responses to “Workout of the Week- Upper Body Summer Arms Circuit”

1. Kelly @ turned UP to ELEVEN! May 11, 2012 at 6:14 am #

Thank you for this! Do you have any suggestions for women/men at home who don’t have access to all these machines? Maybe a free weight/band workout that might do the trick as well?

My favorite upper body workout is something I got form P90X and I WISH I could remember the name of it but off the top of my head I’m blank. However you lay on one side, and put the arm that you are laying on straight out and put the other one with the palm near your armpit and push yourself up, I guess it’s a tricep pushup. I was shocked how well I could do with those and it made me feel powerful giving me more confidence to try other hard workouts! 🙂

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life May 11, 2012 at 6:21 am #

Kelly, you can do most of the exercises at home with bands and free weights. For the triceps pull downs, just place a band over a door frame, for the over head pulls you need to loop a band through a door, for cable curls and for the cable curls, step on the band to do your curls! I believe everthing else can be done with free weights. You can also just do flat chest press and pec fly and still achive the same results! 🙂

Thanks for asking! Nice job on the triceps push ups! Those are challenging and will tone your arms a lot!!!

2. sweetlyvegan May 11, 2012 at 9:46 am #

gotta love toned arms! very sexy feature on a woman! I love dresses and tanks so toned arms are very important to me. I don’t lift heavy weights in the gym, I use 4 or 5 lb. free weights, but after reading your blog the last few months I am going to try out the heavy weights again. They obviously work really well for you! 🙂 I hate doing push ups, but I feel like because they are so hard there must be working lots of muscles… that and the plank are probably my favorite upper body workout. I miss working out!!!!!! Do you think I could start before 6 weeks? It just seems so far away… I was thinking maybe another week before I would start on the elliptical….

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life May 12, 2012 at 7:37 am #

I was told even if I felt I could workout, I really shouldn’t because where the placenta detached needed to heal, otherwise if it tore due to exercise you could hemorrage. Not sure about this, but that’s what the nurse said, also at my two week post partum check up the doctor warned against it. But, I also tore so I had stiches and exercise just didn’t feel comfortable. I’d start with walking and then just a bit of elliptical if it feels good, but I’d wait a bit longer before trying anything.

3. Jessica C. May 14, 2012 at 9:31 am #

wowza! I did this workout this morning and LOVED IT!!! I thought the planks would be easy peasy, but they had me shaking about 30 seconds in. I would love to see a lower body workout like this one? Great for gearing up for summer! 🙂

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life May 14, 2012 at 12:25 pm #

Jessica, I’m so happy you enjoyed this circuit!!! 🙂 With all the upper body work, it makes the planks that much harder to hold! I will post a lower body circuit workout at the end of this week!