I decided to make this pasta dish over the weekend and both Keith and I gave it two thumbs up!
It is really a nice light pasta dish that is perfect for the warm weather of summer. Paired with a green side salad and glass of white wine, this recipe will hopefully become one of your favorites!
Rigatoni Pasta Salad
Adapted from Giada De Laurentiis
- 1 pound rigatoni pasta
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus 1/4 cup
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (5-6 ounce) cans Italian tuna in oil, drained
- 1 pint (2 cups) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 12 ounces frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and quartered
- 1 small jar of capers, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and reserve about 1 cup of the pasta water.
2. In a 14-inch skillet, heat 1/4 cup oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Add the tuna to the skillet and, using a fork, break into chunks. Add the cherry tomatoes, artichoke hearts, capers, and thyme. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes begin to soften, about 8 to 10 minutes.
3. Add the pasta, the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil, and the parsley. Toss until all the ingredients are coated, adding a little pasta water, if needed, to thin out the sauce. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Transfer the pasta to a serving bowl and serve warm or at room temperature.
*Note: We used two cans of tuna in this last batch and will up it to three cans next time as we rarely eat tuna and my husband loves his protein!
* To make this recipe vegan, I would sub the tuna for sliced mushrooms and it would be delicious!
This pasta is even better the next day when reheated again or just eating it cold. It is healthy and a fun new pasta recipe I hope you and your family enjoy as much as we did! Plus it is so easy and quick to throw together!
Don’t forget to enter my giveaway for the chance to win a case of Gatorade G Series Chews!