Amazing Healthy Cottage Cheese Turkey Burger Recipe

21 Jun

IMG_9687

While in Minnesota, we attending a friends BBQ.  They served us turkey burgers that were really moist and I could tell there were added vegetables into them, which I really enjoyed.

So, on Father’s Day when we wanted to grill burgers we decided to take our friends recipe, put our own spin on it and see how they would turn out.

Well, they turned out amazing!

Let me share our new go to burger recipe with you, I promise you’ll love them as much as Keith and I do!

_______________

Healthy Cottage Cheese Turkey Burgers

By Kjirsten Conrad, Balanced Healthy Life

Serves: 4

Prep Time:  10 minutes

Cook Time:  10-12 minutes

Ingredients

• 1lb lean turkey meat
  • 1/2 cup reduced fat cottage cheese
  • 1/2 red or green bell pepper, chopped (about 1/4 cup)
  • 1/4 cup chopped roasted banana peppers
  • 1/8 cup parmesan cheese, coarsely shredded
  • season with pepper, mesquite and lightly with salt to your liking

Directions

1.  Preheat the grill.  In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well.

2.  Shape the turkey mixture into four burger patties.

3.  Grill for about 4-6 minutes per side, or until the turkey is fully cooked through (add cheese at the last minute you grilling if you want a cheeseburger!)

Serve with whole wheat buns and your favorite burger toppings!

_______________

This is an easy to make recipe that is bursting with flavor! Not only are they healthy, but they are filling and delicious! Plus using the cottage cheese helps keep the burgers moist, since lean turkey on it’s own tends to dry out.

You can also get creative with the add in ingredients.  For example swapping out the bell peppers for jalapenos and the parmesan cheese for pepper jack!  This is a good base recipe!

IMG_9684IMG_9686IMG_9689IMG_9690

I know what I’m grilling this weekend!

Question:

• What do you like to top your burgers with? I love avocado and mustard!

18 Responses to “Amazing Healthy Cottage Cheese Turkey Burger Recipe”

1. StoriesAndSweetPotatoes June 21, 2012 at 5:51 pm #

Good idea, that sounds great! I’ve never thought to put cottage cheese in burgers before.

2. sweetlyvegan June 21, 2012 at 6:04 pm #

wow yum!!!! I would love to make these!! They look incredible!

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life June 21, 2012 at 6:28 pm #

They are super healthy too, which I love. I love discovering recipes like these since Cameryn is definitely going to be eating healthy meals like this when she is older instead of garbage fast food meals! 🙂

• sweetlyvegan June 21, 2012 at 6:32 pm #

heck yea!!! our little girls are going to grow up to be health foodies too! 🙂 I can’t wait to start feeding H solids! Watching their faces when they taste new foods is going to be so much fun. You only have another month or so! Lucky!

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life June 21, 2012 at 7:16 pm #

Yeah, less than a month to go! I can’t wait! I really hope Cameryn takes to liking healthy foods! I can’t wait to share green smoothies with her! 🙂

3. Elizabeth June 21, 2012 at 6:06 pm #

These look so good! I’m going to try them soon!

4. Corrie Anne June 21, 2012 at 8:12 pm #

Guacamole & jalapeno is my fave topping! I had it today. Love the idea to put cottage cheese in!!!

5. Elizabeth June 30, 2012 at 8:28 am #

I used this recipe with guests last night and they were a hit. Thanks for sharing it!

6. Krystal July 24, 2013 at 1:51 pm #

Just Wondering. Has anyone tried these with anything other then Poultry?
    I took out Deer meat, Its lean like Poultry ( that’s what I like most about it ) Just wondering if the taste Mixes well.

I guess regardless it’s what I took out for dinner thanks for the recipe. I’ll try and remember to come back to share results, if you want.

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life July 25, 2013 at 8:18 am #

Yes, please do! I have only made them with lean ground turkey and am curious to see how your burgers turned out!

• Krystal August 5, 2013 at 9:50 pm #

Okay So I didn’t follow your recipe exactly.. I didn’t have the peppers and I’m not a big hot peppers kind of gal. I used 2% cottage cheese cause I have a 9month old and I was using up her left over cottage cheese before it went bad; I did the parmesan cheese and used onion soup mix to salt only 1 to 1 1\2 Tbsp and Garlic fresh crushed Garlic.
        They were super juicy ( Deer meat ) and I loved all the cheese I added Marble cheese on top. I wish I had the peppers!! that would have made them that much better!!
        All in all best deer burger I’ve ever made!!
        My husband who loves Game meat but not usually in burgers and other barbequed meats, didn’t even notice that it was deer due to the juiciness that it retained!
        Thank you so much for blogging your recipe. the next time I will make sure I have the peppers, and maybe i’ll add some.

Oh and I’m not a big bread eater so I wrapped it in Iceberg lettus. used all the regular toppings, red onion romaine lettus, honey mustard, mayo. Super yummy! I’m really upset that my baby and I ate the last of our avocado earlier, avocado should be on all burgers!

• Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life August 7, 2013 at 1:45 pm #

I am so happy it turned out well for you! It sounds really good!

I also agree avocado should be on all burgers!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Thursday Workout and Eats Recap « - June 21, 2012

[…] you didn’t see my awesome recipe for turkey burgers, check it out!  There is a secret ingredient that keeps them nice and […]

2. Weekend Review & Closing on the New House « - August 20, 2012

[…] Turkey burgers with sweet potato […]

3. Labor Day Lounging | A Healthy Slice of Life - September 3, 2012

[…] either this cottage cheese turkey burger or the salad burger and let me know what you think. These both are pretty original looking ideas […]