I wanted to stop by and wish everyone a Happy Memorial Day.
Lets not just take this day as an extra day off of work or an extra weekend day. Lets really make sure to pray for those who have sacrificed for this country including their families and friends. Don’t take what they did for granted!
With that being said, I wish you all a great and fabulous day!
Question: What are your plans for today?
I can’t believe it is already Memorial Weekend! Two years ago on Memorial Day, I found out I was pregnant! I will always cherish Memorial Day weekend for being on of the best of my life!
Anyways, I wanted to share this super simple yet amazing tomato basil soup with you all. Once again, it is from Ina Garten, from her cookbook The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook.
I changed things up just a bit and it is so good. I’m a huge non-creamy tomato soup fan and this hits the spot every time I need a goof comfort food.
Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
Adapted from: Ina Garten
- 3 pounds roma tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons good olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion (2 onions)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 28 ounces canned tomatoes with their juice
- 4 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 quart chicken stock
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss together the tomatoes, 1/4 cup olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread the tomatoes in one layer on a baking sheet and roast for 45 minutes.
- In a 8-quart stockpot on medium heat, saute the onion and garlic with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, butter and red pepper flakes for 10 minutes, until the onions start to brown. Add the canned tomatoes, basil, thyme, and chicken stock. Add the oven-roasted tomatoes, including the liquid on the baking sheet. Bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 40 minutes. Pass through a food mill fitted with the coarsest blade or blender. Taste and season. Serve hot or cold.
By Ina Garten
Makes 25-30 croutons
- 1 baguette
- 1/4 cup good olive oil, plain or flavored with basil or garlic
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese (3 ounces)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Slice the baguette diagonally into 1/4- inch-thick slices. Depending on the size of the baguette, you should get about 25-30 slices.
- Lay the slices in one layer on a baking sheet and brush each with good olive oil and sprinkle liberally with sea salt and pepper. Sprinkle with shredded Parmesan. Bake the toast for 15-20 minutes, until they are browned and crispy. Serve at room temperature.
I hope you guys try these recipes out, I know you will love them!
Question: What is your favorite soup?
Technorati Tags: balanced healthy life
,healthy balanced life
,ina garten recipes
,ina garten tomato soup recipe
,ina garten tomato basil soup recipe
,best tomato basil soup recipe
,tomato basil soup recipe
,healthy comfort food
,parmesan croutons tomato soup